Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1901 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:19 am

Here is the review from DVD Classik : https://www.dvdclassik.com/test/blu-ray ... dvd-livret
I doubt you'll see a UHD release from Le chat since ESC seems to have the rights.

dwk

#1902 Post by dwk » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:10 pm

Scream is releasing Bubba Ho-tep on UHD in February.

dwk

#1903 Post by dwk » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:24 pm

Two new site exclusives are up(limited to 1500 copeis.)
Bloodfist
Blackbelt

knives

#1904 Post by knives » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:57 pm

Both these are great. Too bad this didn’t include the full Bloodfist series (and thankfully they didn’t include Blackbelt’s “sequel”. My thoughts on both below:
Bloodfist
This is easily the best movie you could imagine being produced by late Corman named Bloodfist. I was genuinely taken back by its quality as it’s a great VanDamme knock-off. The action scenes are exciting and dangerous with work done to build investment such as crowd shots suggesting at backstory.

There’s also plenty of effort put into story. The love interest is a perfect example of that. She’s a real character with unique interests and believable chemistry with Wilson. She even gets a nice character trait that leads to a scene out of Godard. She’s established as learning Tagalog for work reasons. She’s also completely uninvested in the fights. This leads to during one of the fights having the audio cut out and replaced with a tape she’s listening to. I was completely thrown off and the exercise works so well when it comes so unexpected.

This isn’t to say the film’s perfect. Wilson’s a bit stiff for a character that should have Peter Parker energy and the ending is a bit too full of story, but these seem small apples compared to all that is accomplished.

Blackbelt
This was a lot more stylish and exciting than I was expecting (thank you John Ulyanov) with a surprisingly great performance from Wilson as Costner as The Bodyguard. The story is a bit regressive though not aggressively so. It’s love of cops playing bad is limited to a few short scenes and isn’t a focus in any meaningful way. Instead it really delivers on making this seedy world alive.

dwk

#1905 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:17 am

March's UHDs:
The Exorcist III
Wanted
Dead Silence
Streets of Fire

March's Blu-rays:
Dr. Giggles
Razorback
Critical Condition
Crazy People
Sorry, Wrong Number

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1906 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:28 pm

I remember watching Crazy People in a media class in high school when we were doing a section in advertising, and I still recall the gasps from the opening sequence and Moore's advertisements.

beamish14

#1907 Post by beamish14 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:59 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:28 pm
I remember watching Crazy People in a media class in high school when we were doing a section in advertising, and I still recall the gasps from the opening sequence and Moore's advertisements.

I’ve been meaning to see that for a long time. Really glad I never bought the Blu of Streets of Fire, as I’m excited about it in 4K

yoloswegmaster

#1909 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:36 pm

Listings for April have been found:

The Haunting of Julia UHD
Midnight Run UHD
Jackie Chan Collection Vol. 2
Flashback
Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman (DVD)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1910 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:05 pm

Any clue what's in the Jackie Chan collection?

yoloswegmaster

#1911 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:10 pm

I can only make out Crime Story, Armour of God, and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Stars. No idea what the other 2 are.

dwk

#1912 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:43 pm

I think the one in the lower right is The Protector. I believe Shout also has City Hunter, so that could be the othe one?

I was hoping that we would get a US set of the Lucky Stars series, but that clearly isn't happening. (With Criterion having My Lucky Stars and Shout having Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars

yoloswegmaster

#1913 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:02 pm

It's being said that the top right could be for Armour of God 2 or Wheels on Meals. The first volume also had 7 films included in the set despite there only being 5 films being promoted on the cover, which means that there is a chance that the second volume could have more films than what has been advertised. If that's the case, then I hope that Wheels on Meals, AOG 2, and the Project A films are included since I haven't picked up the U.K for the first 2 titles and Irongod hinted at a U.S release of the latter 2 containing the export cut in HD.

dwk

#1914 Post by dwk » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:44 pm

Jackie Chan Vol. 2 is listed as an 8-disc set, so it will likely have 7 or 8 titles.

The People Under the Stairs UHD
Bless the Child
Endangered Species
Envy
Last edited by dwk on Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beamish14

#1915 Post by beamish14 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:06 pm

dwk wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:44 pm
Some more April releases:
The People Under the Stairs UHD
Bless the Child
Endangered Species
Envy

Never thought I’d see Alan Rudolph’s Endangered Species get a Blu, but the people at Shout clearly love him

Envy is dogshit (literally!), but I’d love to hear a commentary from its writer, who is one of Kurt Vonnegut’s sons (his late brother’s biological child, whom he adopted)

yoloswegmaster

#1916 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:20 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:43 pm
I was hoping that we would get a US set of the Lucky Stars series, but that clearly isn't happening. (With Criterion having My Lucky Stars and Shout having Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars
It's strange that Criterion didn't pick up the rights to all 3 films, assuming that they signed the deal with Fortune Star first, but I guess Twinkle Twinkle was a bit too rapey for the label that decided to pick up My Lucky Stars.

dwk

#1917 Post by dwk » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:34 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:20 pm
It's strange that Criterion didn't pick up the rights to all 3 films, assuming that they signed the deal with Fortune Star first, but I guess Twinkle Twinkle was a bit too rapey for the label that decided to pick up My Lucky Stars.
Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars was still with Miramax when Criterion picked up the Chan titles they have (I am not sure what was up with Winners and Sinners, as it seems like that should have been available.)

yoloswegmaster

#1918 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:37 am

The titles for the second volume have been announced:

Winners and Sinners
Wheels on Meals
The Protector
Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars
Armour of God
Operation Condor
Crime Story
City Hunter

I guess I'm double dipping on the 2 Lucky Stars films.

dwk

#1919 Post by dwk » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:55 pm

That group of titles is like 500% better than the first box.

yoloswegmaster

#1920 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:10 pm

Oh, it's so much better than the first volume, though I must say that I was a bit surprised to see that the Project A films weren't included in this set as I was certain that it would have been with Shout. I wonder if it's with either Arrow or 88.

dwk

#1921 Post by dwk » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:11 pm

I would assume they are with either Arrow or 88.

I also assume that this is the last Chan boxset from Shout, 'cause just about everything worth releasing is either out or already licensed and what is left just isn't enough for another 7-8 film set.

yoloswegmaster

#1922 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 pm

Deaf Crocodile has confirmed that the 4K UHD release of Assault on Precinct 13 will be coming from Shout.

dwk

#1923 Post by dwk » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:16 pm

For fans of Dr. Giggles, Scream announced the specs and it will finally be in its proper 2.39 aspect ratio.

dwk

#1924 Post by dwk » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:17 pm

Two new site exclusive limited edition (1500 copies) double features are up for ordering:
Wheels Of Fire / Raiders Of The Sun (Double Feature)
The Great Texas Dynamite Chase / Eat My Dust! (Double Feature)

Finch

#1925 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:40 pm

Scream are doing a restoration of the stereo and 5.1 tracks on Exorcist III. It should shock no one that only the theatrical is getting a 4k.
DISC 1: 4K UHD (Theatrical Cut)

NEW 2022 4K scan of the original camera negative
In Dolby Vision (HDR 10 compatible)
NEW 2023 restoration of the stereo and 5.1 track

DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, 5.1

DISC 2: Blu-Ray (Theatrical Cut)

NEW 2022 4K scan of the original camera negative
NEW 2023 restoration of the stereo and 5.1 track
Deleted Scene/Alternate Takes/Bloopers
Deleted Prologue
Vintage interviews (featuring behind-the-scenes footage) with writer/director William Peter Blatty, George C. Scott, Jason Miller, Ed Flanders and more…
Vintage Featurette
Theatrical Trailers
TV Spots
Radio Spots
Photo Galleries

DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, 5.1

DISC 3: Blu-Ray (Director’s Cut)

William Peter Blatty’s director’s cut – LEGION, assembled from the interpositive and select scenes from the VHS dallies, approved by William Peter Blatty
Audio interview with director/writer William Peter Blatty
Death, Be Not Proud: The Making of THE EXORCIST III - feature-length, five-chapter documentary on the making of the film featuring interviews with actor Brad Dourif, production designer Lesley Dilley, composer Barry De Vorzon, producer Carter DeHaven and more…

DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0