Imprint

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Maltic

Re: Imprint

#401 Post by Maltic » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:29 am

"a foreign masterpiece"... I guess that would include Hollywood :)

The Walter Hill box would be extremely interesting if there were new masters for The Long Riders and Extreme Prejudice, although I doubt there will be?

Ribs

#402 Post by Ribs » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:07 am

Not sure this Walter Hill set will really be all that enticing considering a 4K release of The Driver is confirmed to be forthcoming from SC in Europe - I understand the other titles may be the primary draw but just blatantly getting a normal BD of a title like that seems kind of pointless to me at this point when we know better is coming.

therewillbeblus

#403 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:01 am

Extreme Prejudice is the other strong title in there and it was just released on solid BDs from Lionsgate and StudioCanal, with the region A having a significant number of extras. I'm guessing the "nihilistic alcoholic biography" is Under the Volcano, and I'll laugh (but with gratitude) if the "story of forbidden love" is somehow for The Yards

Maltic

#404 Post by Maltic » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:33 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:01 am
Extreme Prejudice is the other strong title in there and it was just released on solid BDs from Lionsgate and StudioCanal, with the region A having a significant number of extras.
Ah, I hadn't noticed these had come out already. I'm seeing mixed reviews in terms of PQ (old scan). In any case, it'll probably be a similar presentation included in the Imprint set.

therewillbeblus

#405 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:58 am

It's not the greatest presentation but it's not bad, and fitting for the film's 80s cartoonishly macho elevated B-movie content

Maltic

#406 Post by Maltic » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:18 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:58 am
It's not the greatest presentation but it's not bad, and fitting for the film's 80s cartoonishly macho elevated B-movie content
I understand the sentiment, though I don't share it. I want schlock as well as arthouse to look like a new 35mm print, basically (not saying Extreme Prejudice is schlock, exactly).

Anyway, my point was, a similar presentation of the film being available from other venues means one less reason to go for a box set from down under. Given that I already have The Driver and Hard Times on good BDs and Indicator or someone might put out Johnny Handsome, and so on.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#407 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:19 am

therewillbeblus wrote:It's not the greatest presentation but it's not bad, and fitting for the film's 80s cartoonishly macho elevated B-movie content
Pretty much. It's definitely a pre-existing HD master but within those, it's quite OK.

therewillbeblus

#408 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:32 am

Maltic wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:18 am
therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:58 am
I understand the sentiment, though I don't share it. I want schlock as well as arthouse to look like a new 35mm print, basically (not saying Extreme Prejudice is schlock, exactly).

Anyway, my point was, a similar presentation of the film being available from other venues means one less reason to go for a box set from down under. Given that I already have The Driver and Hard Times on good BDs and Indicator or someone might put out Johnny Handsome, and so on.
I hear you, but allow me to clarify my statement: I don't prefer this film to look this way, or want it to look worse than it could. If this was available on UHD or with a better master, and I hadn't bought the existing blu, I'd buy it! However, similar to A Reflection of Fear, I do prefer to reframe the merits of the presentations as they are when possible, which I think works for these films and Drugstore Cowboy's Imprint edition as a reflection of the depicted mucky lifestyle, but doesn't for all films. Still, that rationale serves as a nice placeholder until we get something fresher. The alternative is to get frustrated and not buy movies I love or do so with a chip on my shoulder. I'd rather find an aesthetic value in what's available if I can shake it

Finch

#409 Post by Finch » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:45 am

I'm the same as Maltic: if those aren't new scans (and they likely aren't, based on Imprint's precedent), this set is an easy pass as I have the MoC of Hard Times, the SC BD of The Driver (with a forthcoming UHD) and the US BD of The Long Riders (I think it's the Kino). Extreme Prejudice is getting an audio commentary from Hill fan Walter Chaw (who also has a book coming out soon), but that's not enough of an incentive to pick this set over the Vestron BD of Extreme Prejudice.

It's probably because they've released quite a few neo noirs lately, but "controversial adaptation" makes me think of Michael Winterbottom's The Killer Inside Me.

Maltic

#410 Post by Maltic » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:48 am

Twbb - I understand. EP was probably the major Hill work most in need of a upgrade, and it does seem to have been given one, judging by your comments and Tenia's. Thanks. :)

Edit: Special features and tech specs for the Imprint set

beamish14

#411 Post by beamish14 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:08 pm

Maltic wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:48 am
Twbb - I understand. EP was probably the major Hill work most in need of a upgrade, and it does seem to have been given one, judging by your comments and Tenia's. Thanks. :)

Edit: Special features and tech specs for the Imprint set

This looks phenomenal. I can’t believe they were able to get his incredible miniseries Broken Trail, too

Calvin

#412 Post by Calvin » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:47 pm

I'm struggling to see any justification for the effusive reaction I've seen to the Walter Hill announcement. All of the titles are already available on Blu-Ray in either the US or UK and there's a new restoration of The Driver that's a dead-cert to get a UHD release from StudioCanal sooner rather than later.

Looking forward to seeing what the Zhang Yimou title is though. The Road Home or Not One Less are presumably most likely as Indicator have licensed from Sony before - and either would be very welcome.

ryannichols7

#413 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:17 pm

I'll admit that Hill isn't really my thing (I mostly wanted to post the announcement because I felt it would be wrong to skip right to the Zimou hint, which I care more about), but even as an outsider looking in it's a weird set. this is a really good case of Imprint's method of slapping anything on a disc - and while that ironically did work for the Yimou/Li set, as many note there's very little to go for here. the sort of release that will be cool for Australians to not have to import, but if they really do like these films, there certainly seem to be better copies out here, bizarre all in all.

but yeah, I'm personally leaning towards Not One Less as the Yimou title, but since Imprint have pulled some funky licenses out of the cards that would be harder in the US/UK, that's why I mentioned Hero

tehthomas

#414 Post by tehthomas » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:54 pm

The MOC of 'Hard Times' is an excellent release
Last edited by tehthomas on Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tehthomas

#415 Post by tehthomas » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:56 pm

Calvin wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:47 pm
there's a new restoration of The Driver that's a dead-cert to get a UHD release from StudioCanal sooner rather than later.
Is it time to get rid of my Twilight Time Blu-ray?

ChunkyLover

#416 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:08 pm

Ribs wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:07 am
Not sure this Walter Hill set will really be all that enticing considering a 4K release of The Driver is confirmed to be forthcoming from SC in Europe - I understand the other titles may be the primary draw but just blatantly getting a normal BD of a title like that seems kind of pointless to me at this point when we know better is coming.
Ironic considering the first mention of a "The Driver" UHD was from an Australian source.

vsski

#417 Post by vsski » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:11 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:17 pm

but yeah, I'm personally leaning towards Not One Less as the Yimou title, but since Imprint have pulled some funky licenses out of the cards that would be harder in the US/UK, that's why I mentioned Hero
The US Miramax Blu Ray of Hero is still widely available, so them publishing that again would not be exciting, unless it’s a brand new transfer, but given Imprint’s track record with the previous Zhang Yimou films it seems unlikely.

Forrest Taft

#418 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:17 am

The StudioCanal release also has the complete version of The Driver, there’s a short scene missing from the Twilight Time.

ryannichols7

#419 Post by ryannichols7 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:24 am

vsski wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:11 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:17 pm

The US Miramax Blu Ray of Hero is still widely available, so them publishing that again would not be exciting, unless it’s a brand new transfer, but given Imprint’s track record with the previous Zhang Yimou films it seems unlikely.
yeah the two things I'd want from another disc of Hero are a new transfer (the old one is super flat) and some scholarly supplements, two things Imprint would not likely do. Tony Rayns did contribute heavily to the boxset, but given that this is Yimou's biggest movie I'd love to see a full length commentary for it.

senseabove

#420 Post by senseabove » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:58 am

KLI has said they asked for Desperate Hours, but it was not available, so presumably someone else has it in the US or Paramount plans on releasing it themselves.

shankle73

#421 Post by shankle73 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:04 am

The following Imprint releases are $6.18 on Walmart.com. President's Analyst, The Deep, The Mothman Prophecies, The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan, The Bad News Bears, Let It Ride & Regarding Henry. Alfie 2 Disc set is 8.83.

ryannichols7

#422 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:28 am

Imprint is releasing...Dersu Uzala????

what a surprise. and MichaelB is on there! I highly doubt it'll be the oft rumored new restoration that Criterion and Mosfilm were working on, so surely an "as is" transfer, but hey I'll take this! what an out there choice for them

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#423 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:38 am

Also:

Harem (Joffé)
Lolita (Lyne)
Blue Chips (Friedkin)
The Road Home (Zhang)
Barfly + The Bukowski Tapes (Schroeder)

MichaelB

#424 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 am

ryannichols7 wrote:Imprint is releasing...Dersu Uzala????

what a surprise. and MichaelB is on there! I highly doubt it'll be the oft rumored new restoration that Criterion and Mosfilm were working on, so surely an "as is" transfer, but hey I'll take this! what an out there choice for them
I’m afraid I have absolutely no idea what they’ll be using; I’ve only seen the old Ruscico DVD.

And now that I know (a) that there’s a commentary and (b) who’s doing it, I suspect my contribution will be largely redundant, but I was flattered to be asked.

M Sanderson

#425 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:30 am

I’m really up for Friedkin’s Blue Chips. Friedkin and Nolte are intensely in tandem, in this one. An angry and emotional film.

Props to Imprint for targeting films that are hard to find on home video.

Would also be hopeful for 12 Angry Men & Jade.