Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#801 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:33 pm

I was going to say, be forewarned that this set still contains the films of Doris Wishman

What A Disgrace

#802 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:51 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:33 pm
I was going to say, be forewarned that this set still contains the films of Doris Wishman
I hope it's not too late to cancel my order.

L.A.

#803 Post by L.A. » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:12 pm

I think I read somewhere that The Amazing Transplant is missing some footage. 🤔

therewillbeblus

#804 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:29 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:12 pm
I think I read somewhere that The Amazing Transplant is missing some footage. 🤔
Operation unsuccessful

L.A.

#805 Post by L.A. » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:52 am

In regards to the upcoming AGFA Doris Wishman collection:

“For those that are interested, I messaged AGFA and they confirmed that 7 minutes of footage is missing from "The Amazing Transplant" from the Doris Wishman set. Although this footage is available on Electric Video's release, AGFA could not find any film elements or video elements for this footage so no composite was made with the missing 7 minutes and since Wishman has passed there was no leads as to where it could have gone. So whatever footage was on the old Something Weird Video DVD, is what's going to be on this Blu.

Via Everett Dudgeon

Review about the missing footage from Mondo Digital:

https://www.mondo-digital.com/chesty.html

criterionsnob

#806 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:32 pm

Canadian International Pictures have announced an upcoming release on Twitter.
SpoilerShow
Denys Arcand's Gina

What A Disgrace

#807 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:52 pm

I wonder if it, or another film from the director, will be part of the second Other French New Wave set?

criterionsnob

#808 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:07 pm

Could be. I'd love for Volume 2 to be announced soon. I just watched La vie heureuse de Léopold Z last night from the first set. Wonderful film.

What A Disgrace

#809 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:33 pm

Arcand's debut was with Seul ou avec d'autres, and it might go well with Pour la suite do monde and (god willing/forbid) A tout prendre, all released in the same year, for the second French New Wave box. I'm guessing that a second volume will focus on different directors from the first, in any case, and if the release of Godbout's The Mob is any indication, later films (such as Arcand's Gina) by these directors will get individual releases sooner or later.

beamish14

#810 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:20 pm

Fantastic news about Arcand. I hope they can release Jean-Claude Lauzon’s small body of work. Léolo had a 4K restoration that you can stream for free in Canada, but it’s not on disc anywhere. Hoping for stuff like Les Ordres and both cuts of Kamouraska, too

criterionsnob

#811 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:01 pm

Canadian International Pictures have uploaded a new trailer, so this is likely tomorrow’s announcement.
SpoilerShow
Don’t Let the Angels Fall (1969)

agnamaracs

#812 Post by agnamaracs » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:30 pm

New titles:
Righting Wrongs
Shriek of the Mutilated
Two Undercover Angels/Kiss Me Monster
Cyber Vengeance (Archive)
Rollerbabies/Mount of Venus (Peekarama)

Partners:
Don't Let the Angels Fall (Canadian Int'l)
Heartbreakers (Fun City)
Heavy Metal Parking Lot (Circle)
Jack Be Nimble (Altered Innocence)
Lux Aeterna (Yellow Veil)
The Oregonian (Factory 25)
Ravage (Saturn's Core)
Raw Nerve (Culture Shock)
Sampo (Deaf Crocodile)
Satan's Children (AGFA) - this was the "B" title on AGFA's out of print release of Satanis
Tremble All You Want (Kani)
Viktoria (Big World)
We're All Going to the World's Fair (Utopia)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#813 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:34 pm

How are there so many films titled Victoria or some spelling variant thereof

therewillbeblus

#814 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:20 pm

Oof that Lux Æterna package bests the Arrow, and I don't see how 88 Films' Righting Wrongs release can beat the VG in terms of extras either. Fun City continues to be the most thrilling partner label- I have never heard of Heartbreakers before (it barely shows up on google unless you layer on key words/people!) but it sounds like another hidden gem from what I'm able to glean from critics who saw it at mid-80s festival circuits

I'm curious if anyone can recommend some of these other films/partner releases? Don't Let the Angels Fall and its whole package of shorts etc looks cool

What A Disgrace

#815 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:21 pm

If Ilya Muromets is any indication, then Sampo is going to be pure joy.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#816 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:25 pm

...and also sell out very quickly!

EddieLarkin

#817 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:35 pm

Remember, as with 98% of everything on the VS site, it's only the slipcover that sells out.

L.A.

#818 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:49 pm

Sampo is pure gold🥇. Too bad VS sends stuff to my country via FedEx, just basic USPS would do just fine.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#819 Post by swo17 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:49 pm

Also, Cloak & Dagger's LE packaging has the kind of treatment Citizen Kane should have gotten, with a magnetic closing box and superfluous ribbon to help access the book without gravity

therewillbeblus

#820 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:51 am

Yakushima wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:52 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:29 am
Yakushima wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:11 am
I highly recommend Grandmother's House.
What do you like about it?
Everything! It's very atmospheric, the characters are engaging, and Len Lesser (of Seinfeld's fame) is always a joy to watch.
Thanks for the rec- I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this! The film sets itself up as a highly predictable DTV programmer, but its windup across the first hour flies by with a slow build of tension, and then we get the (first) reveal, which ignites a relentless pitch of chaos into the third act and destroys any notion that this would be sticking to a safe model. The whiplash that comes with a new element added into the mix gives little time to process the motive of why a character may be behaving as aggressively as they do, but that only adds to how unsettling the activity is... and man, the set pieces that follow seem to exist in the rhythm of a claustrophobic funhouse, only they're set outdoors in the open! What begins as a kids-oriented 'What If-' survival thriller transforms into pretty dark material rather quickly. Uncle Leo sells his part well, but the kids are endearing under pressure (far more than they are before the adrenaline rush) and the lack of orientation to others' logic feels totally appropriate for a child-eye subjective adventure tale. But the film doesn't stop there, and the final moments offer a second reveal that calls into question the children's and our confusion that we've been sitting with for the past half hour. The film takes grim content and amplifies its volume past the ceiling, and then has the audacity to end the film right then and there. I'm talking the kind of third-act destabilizing found in Smooth Talk. What a ride!

therewillbeblus

#821 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:52 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:37 pm
I highly recommend the Jamaa Fanaka films. He's part of the now dubbed Los Angeles Rebellion group of black student filmmakers from UCLA like Julie Dash and Charles Burnett, but instead of dramas of mostly working class people, Fanaka had ambition to be a major genre filmmaker. Due to litigation between him and the director's guild, it never quite happened, but he did make hits like Penitentiary and find a bonkers film like Welcome Home, Brother Charles a healthy mix of indie drama about black life, but also a balls to the walls shocking revenge film.
I didn’t care much for Penitentiary, even if I could appreciate its intentions, but Welcome Home, Brother Charles was far more effective in its externalizations of anger and sadness in the face of fatalistic oppression. It’s not always consistent but the surreal inclusion that makes this a kind of slasher/supernatural horror movie is executed extremely well with surprising restraint, never forfeiting the realist sociopolitical concerns in favor of eccentric genre trappings. Fanaka also somehow avoids the magnetization toward absurdist comedy that this conceit would typically force upon us, which is perhaps the film’s most impressive evidence for prioritizing its thematic ambitions without sacrificing its bold allegorical vision. Rarely can a film like this have its cake and eat it too, but this one manages to, sloppily but successfully.

L.A.

#822 Post by L.A. » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:07 pm

Red Screamer

#823 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:50 pm

agnamaracs wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:30 pm
Maybe my favorite film of the year so far, slowburn ambient horror with an evolving, semi-narrative structure. Schoenbrun has an elegant, minimalist style that's hard to pull off. I'm glad it's getting a proper release and Chloé Galibert-Laîné, video essayist and maker of desktop films, is the perfect critic for this material too.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#824 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:48 am

Red Screamer wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:50 pm
agnamaracs wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:30 pm
Maybe my favorite film of the year so far, slowburn ambient horror with an evolving, semi-narrative structure. Schoenbrun has an elegant, minimalist style that's hard to pull off. I'm glad it's getting a proper release and Chloé Galibert-Laîné, video essayist and maker of desktop films, is the perfect critic for this material too.
I have a pretty strong stomach for horror films, but I found this deeply unsettling and don't ever want to watch it again. I suppose that's a recommendation? It's not even graphic or anything, just a too-real vision of the hell of the internet. I liked Alex G's soundtrack though!

Finch

#825 Post by Finch » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:06 am

Has anyone else ordered Ilya Muromets from a third-party retailer (deep discount, importcds) and gotten an out of stock message?