490 Wings of Desire

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
djproject

Re: 490 Wings of Desire

#51 Post by djproject » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:53 pm

Just came back from a screening of the most recent DCP (2k from 2013). Except for perhaps a slightly sharper image, I really didn't noticed that much of a difference from the 2009 Criterion Blu-ray as far as PQ. It used the German titles for credits and text and translations for the subtitles were slightly different.

And apparently it's up for a 4k restoration next year.

TMDaines

#52 Post by TMDaines » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:33 pm

So the film ends with "To be continued...". Was this intertitle always present in original release prints and was a sequel always planned?

zedz

#53 Post by zedz » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:19 pm

Given that the film is about the division of Germany / Berlin (expressed through its pattern of trying to reconcile divided and opposed principles), I think a follow up was always conceptually suggested, but an actual sequel only became necessary when the wall came down.

PfR73

#54 Post by PfR73 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:49 pm

I love this film and have watched it numerous times, but have never noticed until today that
SpoilerShow
The first man Damiel meets after becoming human, who identifies colors for him and gives him some money, is the "sad man" that Damiel comforted on the subway.
Also, being used to watching the film on the Criterion Blu-ray, I've always been startled by the final scene where Cassiel appears in black & white sitting on the staircase, while the rest of the scene is in color. It seemed more seamless than I would have believed could have been done with 1987 technology.
Today, watching the film on the MGM DVD (since it has some unique bonus features), I realized that it wasn't so seamless originally and they must have digitally touched it up at some point. On the MGM DVD, it's a distinct optical matte circle of black & white footage superimposed over the the color footage floating on the screen, which is there even before the camera tilts down to reveal Cassiel and renders more of the set black & white, not just Cassiel. They've improved the blend and additionally fixed some shots where Cassiel appears on the side of the frame, and originally wasn't in black & white.
I'd just never seen these tweaks mentioned before.

Some comparison shots

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#56 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:13 pm