443-445 La ronde, Le plaisir, The Earrings of Madame de...

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#101 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:56 pm

I don't think the transfers outside of Madame de are bad at all, DVDBeaver has caps for all four titles if you need pushing in either direction.

denti alligator

#102 Post by denti alligator » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:40 am

adaptation of Arthur Schnitzler's controversial turn-of-the-century play La ronde
Of course this is not quite right. Schnitzler's play is entitled Reigen.

Cinephrenic

#103 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:51 am

Anyone else dissapointed that they couldn't secure more Ophuls film rights?
Last edited by Cinephrenic on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

#104 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:56 am

no chance to see Lola Montes in October ???? :?

Tommaso

#105 Post by Tommaso » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:13 am

Darth Lavender wrote:Am I the only one somewhat pleased by the individual releases?
No, I am pleased as well, although I would have liked the option of a box set as well. They might have indeed started to listening to consumers' complaints (especially after the Postwar Kurosawa set). Look at the two individual Mishima releases: if you only want "Yukoku", you can get it damn cheap, for example. Good practice, though somewhat surprising for Criterion.

Great to finally see Ophuls in the collection, in any case. I agree with any complaints about "Lola Montes" or "Liebelei" not being included at this point, but these three films already are must haves if you don't already own them (and I don't). Great cover art in addition, and I'm sure the price point will be much more acceptable at the various e-tailers.

Jonathan S

#106 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:02 am

Narshty wrote:Incidentally, what's going on with La Ronde being 97 minutes still? What about this 110-minute "restored" version that's not been used (possibly to do with rights issues) - has anyone seen it?
I've never even heard of this 110 minute restored version. I thought there might be some confusion with the Vadim remake or even Lola Montes - both 110 minutes - but I see imdb also mentions it (not that that entirely precludes confusion!)

It's such a precisely structured film that it's hard to imagine where an extra 13 minutes could go. Assuming it isn't an error, does anyone know what footage was "restored" and why it was removed in the first place? Was the film subject to censorship? (That would be ironic in view of one of Walbrook's most famous moments in the film!)

Edit: just checked on the Second Sight website which gives a running time of only 89 minutes for their forthcoming release, which, even allowing for PAL speed-up, seems a shorter print even than Criterion's!

Matt

#107 Post by Matt » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:25 am

Cinephrenic wrote:Anyone else disappointed that they couldn't secure more Ophuls film rights?
Yes, I am. Criterion led me to believe that we were getting a veritable tsunami of Ophuls (see here and here). Three films, to me, does not constitute "maxing out" or "several films."

Between these Ophuls (these prices? no box?), the "Essential Arthouse" barebones editions (now?), and the extended Blu-ray striptease they're performing, I have to wonder what's going on over there at Criterion.

tryavna

#108 Post by tryavna » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:21 pm

denti alligator wrote:
GringoTex wrote:
domino harvey wrote:For those who already have the Second Sight Ophuls, La Ronde is coming out on August 4 with many of the same extras as the Criterion, rendering this entire cycle of releases basically worthless. Let them charge full price for three Ophuls films already widely available elsewhere, but don't expect applause for not doing anything more than that.
The Second Sight discs are horrible transfers.
Does that go for Reckless Moment and Letter, too? I was planning on picking those up (especially the latter), now that I know they won't be appearing in the CC anytime soon.
I agree with Domino. The only really bad transfer was the one for Madame de.... The other three were pretty pleasing -- especially considering how cheaply you can pick them up. So I'm really not sure what Gringo's objections are. Jonathan's observation about Second Sight's listed running time for La Ronde may be a concern, though that may just be an error. But Caught seems like a no-brainer at this point.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#109 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:23 pm

No box indeed. Damn. I want to see all three. I'll be getting Madame De... for sure but no box for these three is incredibly stupid.

GringoTex

#110 Post by GringoTex » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:24 pm

denti alligator wrote:
GringoTex wrote: The Second Sight discs are horrible transfers.
Does that go for Reckless Moment and Letter, too? I was planning on picking those up (especially the latter), now that I know they won't be appearing in the CC anytime soon.
I exagerrated. Madame de... is unwatchable. Letter and Plasir are muddy but very passable. Reckless Moment is a fine transfer.

Max von Mayerling

#111 Post by Max von Mayerling » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:05 pm

davidhare wrote:surely they can devise some sort of retail strategy which allows them to do simultaneous releases (Blu and SD) of given titles, or not. And let us know.
Yes, for me, this is what it boils down to. Given the pricing, I'm not going to consider buying these things unless they tell us what they intend to do with respect to Blu.

Cinephrenic

#112 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:06 pm

for sure but no box for these three is incredibly stupid
For us yes, for corporate... smart.

Darth Lavender

#113 Post by Darth Lavender » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:10 pm

While the individual prices may or may not be excessive (I'm waiting on more detailed reviews of the extras) I don't think anyone who owns the Second Sight was seriously going to spring for "Le Plaisir" or even "Madame De...." anyway.

Criterion made the smart move (again, assuming they can make the quality and quantity of extras match the price) by releasing these seperately. And, as I said before, I think it shows Criterion is finally starting to take into consideration what's already available overseas.

Don't forget, Box Set does not guarantee either the same quantity of extras, or a significantly cheaper price. Criterion could easily have ended up spreading this out onto 5 or even 6 single-layer DVDs, and charged over $100 for the set (as they did with the Karloff; releasing the two double-features on 4 single-layer disks for $80)

Darth Lavender

#114 Post by Darth Lavender » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:24 pm

True about Madame de.... (avoided buying that, when I heard about the ghosting)

Le Plaisir is, I think, from the French 'Wild Side' company, who tend to be consistantly as good as, or better than, Criterion. And the extras look comparable. It will take a lot of convincing for me to upgrade there. (Admittedly, I've only watched it once, but don't remember anything particularly wrong with it)

La Ronde I'll get eventually. (Although, to tell the truth, I've already got so many unwatched DVDs, I'm holding off buying anything for a while (with the exception of 'Autumn Afternoon' and some of the upcoming Criterion Blurays))

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#115 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 pm

I've come up with the perfect solution: Shoplift all three titles from Borders.

klee13

#116 Post by klee13 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:31 pm

domino harvey wrote:I've come up with the perfect solution: Shoplift all three titles from Borders.
And then put them in a painted cardboard box!

Max von Mayerling

#117 Post by Max von Mayerling » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:06 am

Doesn't help me, because when the Blu Ray of Madame de ... comes out, I'll still be pissed w/ my shoplifted home-made box set.

Darth Lavender

#118 Post by Darth Lavender » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:24 am

Since it keeps coming up, here's the DVDBeaver's screencaps and review of Second Sight's "Le Plaisir." Succinctly; it's excellent. Image quality and extras.
We've seen "excellent" transfers improved upon before, so I'm not ruling out the possibility that Criterion might, potentially, possibly, be able to better Second Sight in digital restoration, etc. But, at this point, it's a long shot.

Extras will probably end up being a tie, with the Criterion still having some appeal for completists. Sure, Criterion might end up having the better product (ignoring price) but I think the vast majority of people will only be interested in getting the new La Ronde and possibly upgrading on Madame de... (and, as for those, we'll wait and see if they are, individually, worth $40 each)

tojoed

#119 Post by tojoed » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:56 am

Also, Second Sight are bringing out La Ronde a month before Criterion, so we'll have to see what that looks like.

chaddoli

#120 Post by chaddoli » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:18 pm

I asked about the possibility of a box set or gift set.
Hi Chadd,

As far as I know they'll just be available separately, not in a box set. I hope this information is helpful, and feel free to write in again if you have other questions!

Sincerely,

Tamara

Perkins Cobb

#121 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:03 pm

Those of you who are advocating on behalf of the Second Sight DVDs are conveniently ignoring not only the mixed reviews of their image quality, but the fact that many of us would prefer an good NTSC transfer over a good PAL version every time. I held out on buying the very tempting UK Ophuls DVDs in hopes of getting just this announcement from Criterion. So, I have no complaints. Even though I've been harsh on the CC for doing so many retreads of earlier R1 DVDs (their own or other labels') this year, I think it's a bit much to beat them up for releasing stuff that's only been out in R2 previously. Same debate comes up in the MOC thread whenever they do a run of Criterion repeats, and while I'd rather have something "new," I can't fault MOC's exasperation at having to answer that criticism.

Granted, these are tremendously overpriced as individual releases, but then if you look up "overpriced" in most dictionaries you'll find a Wacky C illustration right beside it.

godardslave

#122 Post by godardslave » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:11 pm

Why would these not be in a box set?
Unusual decision.

Still, wonderful releases and i will be buying two of them.

Tommaso

#123 Post by Tommaso » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:41 am

Perkins Cobb wrote: Same debate comes up in the MOC thread whenever they do a run of Criterion repeats, and while I'd rather have something "new," I can't fault MOC's exasperation at having to answer that criticism.
There is clearly a difference between MoC doing a Criterion title or vice versa and Criterion (or MoC) doing a title that has been available only in an inferior edition. The criticism of the former is directed at the fact that we do not need two editions that are both fabulous and perhaps look almost identical; with the Ophüls titles, at least for two of them the situation seems to be different (haven't seen any of the Second Sight releases). So I welcome these releases whole-heartedly, even if they're overpriced (and we do not yet know how substantial the extras and the booklets will be).

What A Disgrace

#124 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Finalized supplements for Madame de...

* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* - Audio commentary featuring film scholars Susan White and Gaylyn Studlar
* - Introduction by filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood)
* - Archival audio interview with director Max Ophuls
* - Interviews with Ophuls collaborators Alain Jessua, Marc Frédérix, and Annette Wademant
* - A visual analysis of the movie by film scholar Tag Gallagher
* - Interview with novelist Louise de Vilmorin on Ophuls's adaptation of her story
* - New and improved English subtitle translation
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by Molly Haskell, an excerpt from costume designer Georges Annenkov's 1962 book Max Ophuls, and the source novel, Madame de, by Louise de Vilmorin

kaujot

#125 Post by kaujot » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:57 pm

Is this PTA's first involvement with a Criterion release (sans the laserdiscs of his earlier films)?