341 A Canterbury Tale

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
tryavna

#26 Post by tryavna » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:04 am

davidhare wrote:This May be (with Blimp, Narcissus, Contraband) Powell's best movie,... even if Red Shoes is THE MASTERPIECE.
David, I had no idea you were such a fan of Contraband! It doesn't seem to get much love around here, but I find it a wonderfully engaging, almost compulsively watchable film. P&P are obviously working within the British-era Hitchcock mold, but they perversely -- and delightfully -- frustrate our expectations throughout. Perhaps their best decision in Contraband is not to reveal that it's actually a spy thriller until about 40 minutes in!

kappoka

#27 Post by kappoka » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:08 pm

Apparently it be official:
A CANTERBURY TALE
Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's beloved classic A Canterbury Tale is a profoundly personal journey to Powell's bucolic birthplace of Kent, England. Set amidst the tumult of the Second World War, the film follows three modern-day incarnations of Chaucer's pilgrims—a melancholy “landgirl,â€

Narshty

#28 Post by Narshty » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:41 pm

Wow. Listen to Britain is magical, just as wonderful as A Canterbury Tale. I just hope they've afforded it a new transfer - the UK disc is pretty good, but far from definitive.

There's definitely more space on that second disc, but I'm not going to complain. Hopefully the complete specs will include stills, trailers and a fat booklet of essays and dedications.

kappoka

#29 Post by kappoka » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:15 pm

You guys will probably call me nuts by getting so worked up about a short film but Listen to Britain is something that is so perfect that I will call it the best supplement ever on a Criterion. The film is a tiny little miracle and I'm not even British.

One of the best uses of sound in a film ever!

Does it sound like I'm really excited?

Jean-Luc Garbo

#30 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:35 pm

Awww, those two BBC documentaries aren't on it? You guys had me warmed up to this movie and then started talking about those two docs (which sounded great to me since I love biographical details about Powell and Pressburger) but now I can't see them. :( Oh well. I hope this movie is a bit more like I Know Where I'm Going.

zedz

#31 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:07 pm

Great news that Humphrey Jennings is entering the Collection, even if it's by the back door. I think I can see a spare seat at the back, Humphrey, just next to Chris Marker (he's the one on your left). Sounds like a very nice, considered package of extras. Lucky us!

peerpee
not perpee

#32 Post by peerpee » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:01 pm

So, so glad this has gotten the royal, royal treatment.... I just frisbeed my crappy 1999 Carlton R2 disc into the bin... really looking forward to this, saw it theatrically last year, and loved it as much as ever...

ellipsis7

#33 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:30 am

And an Ian Christie commentary - superb!!

reaky

#34 Post by reaky » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:35 pm

I notice in the smashing booklet accompanying the Institut Lumiere LE NARCISSE NOIR that they have A CANTERBURY TALE (and IKWIG) lined up for future release. Judging by the lip-smacking job they've done on NARCISSUS, a spot of wait-and-see might be prudent.

ellipsis7

#35 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:07 pm

Page up at CC site.

Special Features are slightly different...

New, restored high-definition digital transfer

Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie

Excerpts from the American Version with Kim Hunter

New video interview with actress Sheila Sim

A Pilgrim's Return, documentary about John Sweet by Nick Burton and Eddie McMillan

A Canterbury Walk, new documentary visiting the film locations by David Thompson

Listen to Britain, 2001 video installation piece inspired by A Canterbury Tale, by artist Victor Burgin

Listen to Britain, 1942 documentary by Humphrey Jennings

What A Disgrace

#36 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:51 pm

Specs updated. Booklet included.

SPECIAL DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie
- Excerpts from the American Version, with Kim Hunter
- New video interview with actress Sheila Sim
- A Pilgrim's Return, a documentary about John Sweet, by Nick Burton and Eddie McMillan
- A Canterbury Trail, a new documentary visiting the film locations, by David Thompson
- Listen to Britain, 2001 video installation piece inspired by A Canterbury Tale, by artist Victor Burgin
- Listen to Britain, a 1942 documentary by Humphrey Jennings
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Graham Fuller, Peter von Bagh, and actor John Sweet

Ashirg

#37 Post by Ashirg » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:00 pm

Gigi M.

#38 Post by Gigi M. » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:01 pm

Robert Harris

The film is not windowboxed.

Narshty

#39 Post by Narshty » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:56 am

You beauty.

Alyosha

#40 Post by Alyosha » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:29 am

Well, according to Gary and his post on the DVD Beaver mailing list it sure is picture boxed. :( I guess some captures will show up on the site soon and we'll see for ourselves.

kinjitsu

#41 Post by kinjitsu » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:20 am

Alyosha wrote:Well, according to Gary and his post on the DVD Beaver mailing list it sure is picture boxed. :( I guess some captures will show up on the site soon and we'll see for ourselves.
I'm not sure which newsletter you might have read this, but I don't think Gary has mentioned anything in his recent newsletters about A Canterbury Tale. Are you sure you aren't confusing this with his blurb about Seven Samurai?

Alyosha

#42 Post by Alyosha » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:35 am

I was not referring to the newsletter, but the mailing list. It's referred to as the "DVDBeaver Discussion Group" and you can join it by clicking the link on the main page at dvdbeaver.com.

kinjitsu

#43 Post by kinjitsu » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:21 pm

Alyosha wrote:I was not referring to the newsletter, but the mailing list. It's referred to as the "DVDBeaver Discussion Group" and you can join it by clicking the link on the main page at dvdbeaver.com.
Thanks for the clarification, but it would be helpful if you gave us a bit more information, I mean, why would RAH say that it's not windowboxed if in fact it is?

FilmFanSea

#44 Post by FilmFanSea » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:55 pm

kinjitsu wrote:
Alyosha wrote:I was not referring to the newsletter, but the mailing list. It's referred to as the "DVDBeaver Discussion Group" and you can join it by clicking the link on the main page at dvdbeaver.com.
Thanks for the clarification, but it would be helpful if you gave us a bit more information, I mean, why would RAH say that it's not windowboxed if in fact it is?
Gary has posted proof this morning at HTF:

tryavna

#45 Post by tryavna » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:07 pm

kinjitsu wrote:
Not the first time RAH has been wrong....

kinjitsu

#46 Post by kinjitsu » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:38 pm

FilmFanSea wrote: Gary has posted proof this morning at HTF:
Egads! Then WTF is RAH talking about?

Gigi M.

#47 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:44 am

It appears that RAH has one of those players the Beaver's always talking about.

kinjitsu

#48 Post by kinjitsu » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:02 pm

tryavna wrote:Not the first time RAH has been wrong....
Gary,

If you say it's windowboxed, I believe you. I screened on a Sony XBR 30" HD tube, and the overscan must have compensated.

Thank you.

RAH

tryavna

#49 Post by tryavna » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:22 pm

kinjitsu wrote:
tryavna wrote:Not the first time RAH has been wrong....
Gary,

If you say it's windowboxed, I believe you. I screened on a Sony XBR 30" HD tube, and the overscan must have compensated.

Thank you.

RAH
I didn't mean my earlier post to sound quite as snide as it must have. I merely wanted to point out that it's dangerous to get in the habit of taking everything a recognized expert says as gospel truth. And if anybody in the world of DVD has that sort of power/reputation, it's RAH. But he's just as prone to making mistakes as Gary or Savant or anyone else. It's commendable that he's bowed to Gary, but it kind of makes you wonder about other pronouncements he's made recently.

The real issue, of course, is that Criterion have needlessly windowboxed yet another movie despite so many people complaining. They must know by now....

djali999

#50 Post by djali999 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:42 pm

Wouldn't we have to wait for Criterion to get through their current crop of masters in windowbox in order to see some change here? I bet this decision was made a long time ago and this stuff was ordered windowboxed. I don't think it's just a little button they can press in the DVD authoring process to turn it on or off. If I'm wrong here somebody please correct me.