Essential Fellini

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
hearthesilence

Re: Essential Fellini

#201 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:45 pm

TheKieslowskiHaze wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Beaver.5
I'd say it's an improvement, though it's most noticeable in the finer details (like the leaves in a tall, far-off tree) - makes me really wish a UHD were available, it would probably look stunning.

phoenix474

#202 Post by phoenix474 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 pm

Looks like the old restoration was cropped?

Finch

#203 Post by Finch » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:23 am

I find the whites almost blown out in the new restoration. Look at the newspapers in the far right corner of the capture with the two ladies. All told, it's not enough of an upgrade for me that I'd regret sitting out the new disc unless it's released on its own a year later. This is going to get a UHD release from someone eventually.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#204 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:27 am

Who would release this on an English friendly UHD ? In the US, Criterion have the rights and they certainly don't seem eager to do UHDs. In France, it's Gaumont and they're not eager either at all. In the UK ? Cult Films didn't even get the latest 4k restoration to begin with.

Roger Ryan

#205 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:40 am

Finch wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:23 am
I find the whites almost blown out in the new restoration. Look at the newspapers in the far right corner of the capture with the two ladies...
I'm thinking DVDBeaver switched the two screengrabs by mistake for that shot - the blown-out whites are all over the 2010 Blu-ray release, whereas the other 2020 Blu-ray edition screengrabs show more detail and texture in the whites.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#206 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:04 pm

Mine came today. Some minor visual imperfections in the disc-casing part and some light bubbling on the back of the box. Also, some discs were loose inside. Also, it can't fit anywhere I store my blu-rays, so I put it up on a top shelf in my closet.

Now that I'm done kvetching, I'll note that it's a gorgeous package overall.

(But I still might contact Criterion about the imperfections on the disc-casing.)

EDIT: I did contact Mulvaney about the scratches. I talk more about that here.
Last edited by TheKieslowskiHaze on Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#207 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:40 am
Finch wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:23 am
I find the whites almost blown out in the new restoration. Look at the newspapers in the far right corner of the capture with the two ladies...
I'm thinking DVDBeaver switched the two screengrabs by mistake for that shot - the blown-out whites are all over the 2010 Blu-ray release, whereas the other 2020 Blu-ray edition screengrabs show more detail and texture in the whites.
They're not switched, the same cap for the 2010 release appears in the earlier version of the comparison without the new disc.

criterionsnob

#208 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:06 pm

Mine arrived today from Amazon.ca. Five of the discs came out of the slots during shipping, but none of them look damaged. Looks like an absolutely stunning set. Can't wait to rewatch these films.

FrauBlucher

#209 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:06 pm

therewillbeblus

#210 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:41 pm

TheKieslowskiHaze wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:04 pm
Mine came today. Some minor visual imperfections in the disc-casing part and some light bubbling on the back of the box. Also, some discs were loose inside.
Like you and criterionsnob, I had a whopping seven discs loose inside the packaging, though thankfully I think what I'm noticing on the bottom is dust and not scratches. Like you, there's also a big scratch across the inside cover of the packaging. I definitely suspect this to be an issue for many, but you're right - it's such a great looking set, much better packaging than I expected, and yes, nowhere to store it. At least Juliet of the Spirits wasn't loose, which is what I bought the set for, so we're good.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#211 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:00 pm

For what it's worth, I bought my copy in person at B&N. It was still in its own cardboard box behind the counter, and had none of the issues you guys describe

Ovader

#212 Post by Ovader » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:02 pm

Mine arrived today from Canada's Amazon with no problems thus far with the packaging. It was within it's own cardboard box shipped within the Amazon cardboard box.

therewillbeblus

#213 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:45 pm

Yeah I believe all the larger box sets come within their own cardboard box, I know the Varda came in the same type directly from Criterion's site, and it sounds like swo got it that way in store. It's good to hear that some are stable though!

TMDaines

#214 Post by TMDaines » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:05 am

Glad to hear that it is coming in its own cardboard box. Pre-ordered through Amazon.com to the UK. I did get my first Bergman without it, which obviously got returned.

I wouldn't worry about Blu-ray discs coming loose. You have to try really hard to damage them through scratches or abrasions due to their protective coating.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#215 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:47 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:41 pm
Like you and criterionsnob, I had a whopping seven discs loose inside the packaging, though thankfully I think what I'm noticing on the bottom is dust and not scratches. Like you, there's also a big scratch across the inside cover of the packaging. I definitely suspect this to be an issue for many...
I don't know what mine has on it specifically. It's on the front of the disc-housing insert book. It looks like scratches but doesn't feel like them. But there are these white splotches on the cover. And that's such a beautiful image, I'm kinda bummed. I hope I can get a replacement.
TMDaines wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:05 am
I wouldn't worry about Blu-ray discs coming loose. You have to try really hard to damage them through scratches or abrasions due to their protective coating.
Yeah, the loose discs on mine look totally scratch-free. I watched Variety Lights (one of the discs that was loose) last night. It looks great and had no problems. It's also a delightful movie; I'd never seen it before.

Roscoe

#216 Post by Roscoe » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:07 am

The new restoration of LA STRADA was shown on TCM a few weeks back, and I noted a scene that I know I've never seen before. Every other time I've seen the film, that melody first appeared as source music when played by Matto on his violin. In the new restoration, there's a scene before Matto appears, between Gelsomina and Zampano where she sings her theme melody, remembering that they heard it from a radio while sheltering from a storm under an awning.

willoneill

#217 Post by willoneill » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:34 pm

Received mine today from Amazon.com in immaculate condition. I've decided to wrap it back up and put it under the tree as gift from Babbo Natale.

TMDaines

#218 Post by TMDaines » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:38 am

Mine's very much a gift for Xmas day too! Dreading unwrapping it and finding it damaged!

ellipsis7

#219 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:12 am

Mine arrived on Thursday. Four discs loose and slipped out of their pockets, but no damage done whatsoever. Working my way through the set, it really is quite marvellous to behold... Just watching GIULIETTA DEGLI SPIRITI, a quantum leap of improvement to the now wonderfully visceral image & sound, Gianni di Venanzo's peerless colour cinematography a particular standout.

black&huge

#220 Post by black&huge » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:45 pm

Does Toby Dammit have the english audio track?

criterionsnob

#221 Post by criterionsnob » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:54 pm

black&huge wrote:Does Toby Dammit have the english audio track?
I just checked my copy. No, it doesn’t have the English dub.

black&huge

#222 Post by black&huge » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:06 pm

...god dammit

Dylan

#223 Post by Dylan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:25 pm

Toby Dammit is intended to be in both English and Italian. Is that not the track used for the Essential Fellini boxset (I haven't ordered it yet)? If the Essential Fellini track is not English and Italian, it's staggering how many times this mistake has been made with home video releases of Toby Dammit.

As an aside, the American International Pictures release of Spirits of the Dead may have included a specially-produced dub for Toby Dammit that was 100% in English, but that wouldn't be the intended track (though as I wrote above, I advocate the inclusion of all English dubs if they're available).
Last edited by Dylan on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#224 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:40 pm

Dylan wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:25 pm
Toby Dammit is intended to be in both English and Italian. Is that not the track used for the Essential Fellini boxset (I haven't ordered it yet)? If the Essential Fellini track is not English and Italian, it's staggering how many times this mistake has been made with home video releases of Toby Dammit.
The track in the version in Criterion's collection is in both English and Italian. Terrence Stamp sounds like Terrence Stamp, speaking English. Italians around him speak Italian. It seems to me that they got it right.
Last edited by TheKieslowskiHaze on Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

black&huge

#225 Post by black&huge » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Oh well fuck alright then! I'm picking up my set from a UPS access point today so I'm gonna have this be the first watch tonight.