844 One-Eyed Jacks

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

844 One-Eyed Jacks

#1 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:03 pm

One-Eyed Jacks

Image Image

A western like no other, One-Eyed Jacks combines the mythological scope of that most American of film genres with the searing naturalism of a performance by Marlon Brando, all suffused with Freudian overtones and male anxiety. In his only directing stint, Brando captures the rugged landscapes of California's Central Coast and Mexico's Sonoran Desert in gorgeous widescreen, Technicolor images, and elicits from his fellow actors (including Karl Malden and Pina Pellicer) nuanced improvisational depictions of conflicted characters. Though overwhelmed by its director's perfectionism and plagued by production setbacks and studio re-editing, One-Eyed Jacks stands as one of Brando's great achievements, thanks above all to his tortured turn as Rio, a bank robber bent on revenge against his one-time partner in crime, the aptly named Dad Longworth (Malden). Brooding and romantic, Rio marks the last, and perhaps the most tender, of the iconic outsiders Brando imbued with such remarkable intensity throughout his career.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, undertaken with the support of The Film Foundation and supervised by filmmakers Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New introduction by Scorsese
• Excerpts from voice-recordings director and star Marlon Brando made during the film's production
• New video essays on the film's production history and its potent combination of the stage and screen icon Brando with the classic Hollywood western
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by film critic Howard Hampton

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 844 One-Eyed Jacks

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:08 pm

Looks like they're rushing this to market without even finalizing their extras based on the listing

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:17 pm

I'll just copy over the Mark Cousins' Moviedrome introduction into this thread:
One-Eyed Jacks (11th July 1999)

At the end of the 50s, by which time he had become an icon of rebellion, Marlon Brando founded a production company called Pennebaker. He wanted to make a Western and spent ages developing scripts. Then someone gave him Charles Neider’s novel The Authentic Death of Henry Jones about a bank robber called Rio deserted by his friend who has the Oedipal name of Dad Longworth. He immediately took to it and said at the time “our early heroes were not 100% brave all of the time. My role is a man who is tough and vain and childish”. Stanley Kubrick was to direct, and Karl Malden, who had been in A Streetcar Named Desire and On The Waterfront with Brando, was to play the friend Dad. When Kubrick saw the finished script which was part-written by his long time collaborator Calder Willingham and Sam Peckinpah, he bottled out saying that he did not understand what it was about. Brando tried Sidney Lumet and Elia Kazan. Both refused so he decided to direct it himself.

The production was endless. Brando threw away the script, improvised many scenes, shot different angles with different dialogue, got drunk when his character was to get drunk, filmed for six months, spending $6 million rather than the budgeted $1.6 million. The first cut lasted six hours. Paramount had hated it, and in particular how everyone lied apart from Malden’s character. According to Brando in his laddish autobiography: “They cut the movie to pieces. By then I was bored with the whole project and walked away from it”. The fact that shots do not match when Brando and Malden meet for the first time in five years does suggest that this scene was re-shot.

Revenge is the driving force of many of the best westerns of the 50s and since such as The Searchers, The Naked Spur and Once Upon A Time In The West, and so it is here. What really works I think is that Brando takes most of the action out of the genre. His revenge on his friends is long delayed. His performance is almost expressionless so the effect is a slow accumulation of rage. And all around this pressure cooker of a character is tumult. The great use of wind and dust storms and the almost constant presence of the sea, the Big Sur, which expresses the build up of unease, as it does in Hitchcock’s Vertigo. All of this is beautifully shot in blue and gold velvety tones with compositions like Georgia O’Keeffe paintings by veteran cameraman Charles Lang.

Brando could hardly be accused of picking a self-aggrandising role. Rio is an out-and-out heel, adolescent as many method roles are, because the actors were taught that their angst comes from teenage problems. Brando’s lover in the film played by Pina Pellicer is worth a mention. Her intense close up performance is the only one she gave in English language cinema before she killed herself three years later. The scene where he lies to her about a necklace by saying that it was his mother's is very brave, and the whipping scene shows how much he knew about acting. He does little but watch the extras – they stare at the horror, and Brando gave a bonus to the ones who winced most.

zedz

#4 Post by zedz » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:25 pm

The 4K restoration of this is simply exquisite - should be a beautiful disc if Criterion just present it as is.

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:11 am

Thank you for sharing that Cousins piece, Colin. It definitely got me curious about the film.

FrauBlucher

#6 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:52 pm

zedz wrote:The 4K restoration of this is simply exquisite - should be a beautiful disc if Criterion just present it as is.
Couldn't agree more. I just came out of a screening and barring any compression issues, fans of the film should be blown away by the Blu.

FrauBlucher

#7 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:23 pm

Beaver Just as expected, this looks brilliant.

Costa

#8 Post by Costa » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Although I generally don't like westerns much, I remember being impressed by this film.

Minkin

#9 Post by Minkin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:04 pm

One-Eyed Svens

I recall a number of people hoping this would come out for years, would be nice if they got us as excited for it by posting their defenses...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#10 Post by Drucker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:52 am

Sort of disappointed this didn't win film club this week, as there's obviously a lot to unpack with regards to this film. While individual performances in it are often great, as a whole the film definitely falls short. On paper, I would say that the plot and story makes sense: two outlaws, one is betrayed, one seeks revenge. In a genre-twisting move and an early example of the idea of an anti-hero, Brando is the outlaw that we root for, and Madden works for the law but is certainly the evil one. At two and a half hours the film really does breeze by, with some of the best moments being the intimate one-on-one conversations, especially the ones Brando has immediately following his release from prison. And while it's been said before, this is, from a picture quality perspective, possibly the best blu-ray I've ever seen. Finally all of those old threads about what a VistaVision blu-ray should look like all make sense to a newcomer like me.

So while the film is beautiful, and the story does make sense, it lacks a certain something that makes it spectacular, and I think it's the tone. I'm no Brando expert, but his performance does feel somewhat out of place. This is an actor known for his tough exterior but soft inside that works so well in On The Waterfront and Streetcar Named Desire, but it does not work here. At the outset of the film he's robbing a bank. He appears to trick his best friend into running an errand that ends up landing him in jail. He tricks women with glee throughout half of the film.
SpoilerShow
Is his throwaway line the morning after sleeping with Madden's step-daughter "I never knew my mother" meant to set the plot point that he's really damaged inside? In the second half of the film, it feels that we are supposed to really feel for Brando, but aside from rooting for a love story, there's no real reason for this. Brando as a hard man looking for revenge works well. As they keep giving Brando the moral ground, whether between his love for a girl or his falling out with the bank robbers, it needlessly and weirdly shifts the tone of the story.
Beyond that general observations, there are a bunch of "Brando-like" outbursts which seem out of place in the film. For the vast majority of the film, we see Brando as a cool, relaxed person that doesn't get shaken easily, and is confident enough in his manhood/gunslinging abilities that he doesn't have to worry. Because it's never established that he's really emotionally tormented inside, his outbursts and moments of anger in this film just seem out of place. In moments of tension, he should be able to handle the situation without raising his temper or voice, but it almost feels like he's playing to expectations.

There are a few other things that don't quite work:
SpoilerShow
The scene where Brando buys the necklace, only later revealing on the beach what it was for seems very forced.
Killing Timothy Carey's character feels shoehorned in to allow Brando to get charged and have a confrontation with Madden.
The bank robbery ends up feeling like filler to get Brando back in jail and have the escape scene with Pickens.
As a fan of Westerns and eye-candy, I'm happy I picked it up. But ultimately it's just not that great of a film.

vidussoni

#11 Post by vidussoni » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:59 pm

I went in thinking this would be another run-of-the-mill revenge Western, but found it to be a pretty fascinating psychological character study. It is however, a tad overlong. My only other complaint is that I had to turn on the subtitles at various points throughout the movie because I couldn't understand Brando's mumbling!

I can't decide which ending I would have preferred: the studio's or Brando wanting
SpoilerShow
Louisa to be killed in the gunfight.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#12 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:10 pm

SpoilerShow
I didn't really see the point of them splitting up in the end. (I mean, other than their never really having any chemistry together.) Her getting killed would would have made for a nice downer ending.

xoconostle

#13 Post by xoconostle » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Love the comment that Brando's mumbling could have used subtitles, which reminds me of my surprise that there were neither originally nor now translations of the Mexican Spanish in the film (the subtitles for that dialogue are indeed in Spanish.) Impressive in a way. I think most viewers who don't speak Spanish will still understand what's going on, and that was evidently a conscious presumption of the filmmakers. What also impressed me, especially given the era of the film, is that the regional Spanish spoken in the film is authentic as opposed to Hollywood-awkward. In the case of many actors e.g. Katy Jurado there are obvious reasons for that but even Brando's Spanish fit in well. Not sure about his vibrant parade of Versace scarves, though. =;

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#14 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:44 pm

SpoilerShow
Might take a while to realize that Maria has gotten pregnant if you don't speak Spanish?

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#15 Post by ando » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 pm

The picture quality is stunning. I've always admired this film - even the dollar store versions I've collected on vhs and dvd over the years. What Criterion has done with it is quite impressive but gosh I'd love to see Brando's five hour version just for the hell of it. Studio execs were probably right to cut it down to half that running time but a "director's cut" would make the set a real bonanza.

jbeall

#16 Post by jbeall » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:56 am

Just caught this (it's currently on Amazon Prime for anyone who wants to watch), and thought it was a terrific western. The film largely eschews the melodramatic mode, such that when some characters finally succumb to it, susceptibility to melodrama becomes a ruse or its obverse, a character defect. I also really liked that the Spanish dialogue wasn't subtitled, at least not on the version I watched. Indeed, the actors were so uniformly excellent that I wonder how much influence Brando had on their performances, and would like to have seen what would have happened had he directed other features. Would they also be a tad overlong? Perhaps. But I can also imagine many other actors giving career-best performances under his direction.

therewillbeblus

#17 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:32 am

I've seen it a few times but not for a while, though I definitely plan to revisit it eventually for the 60s project next year. For now all I can say is that it's one of my favorite westerns and just a bizarre film in general. Even if it's a bit messy there's a grandness to its aura, and an energy present in giving weight to each and every moment that clicks throughout and ultimately inspires- like a new wave approach to the western genre.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#18 Post by ando » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:13 pm

jbeall wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:56 am
Just caught this (it's currently on Amazon Prime for anyone who wants to watch), and thought it was a terrific western. The film largely eschews the melodramatic mode, such that when some characters finally succumb to it, susceptibility to melodrama becomes a ruse or its obverse, a character defect. I also really liked that the Spanish dialogue wasn't subtitled, at least not on the version I watched. Indeed, the actors were so uniformly excellent that I wonder how much influence Brando had on their performances, and would like to have seen what would have happened had he directed other features. Would they also be a tad overlong? Perhaps. But I can also imagine many other actors giving career-best performances under his direction.
Speaking of Prime, I recently viewed the Brando installment of the Discovering series where the commentators essentially dismiss OEJ; citing its length and unconventional approach from “a first time director“. Rather disgusted me. But Hollywood Box Office is apparently the standard by which these talking heads judge the success of most of the actors featured.

Brando was obviously going in the direction of Leone - not Ford - with OEJ, though the lyricism of the former seems to have been deliberately avoided.

therewillbeblus

#19 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed May 05, 2021 11:22 pm

Revisiting this affirms its status as one of the most interesting westerns, existing in a purgatory state between the classicalism of Ford and the revisionism of Peckinpah. What makes this such a peculiar and intoxicating film is that its strengths are largely not thematic in traditional western terms, but instead lie in pulsating images that elude defined characterization, which in addition to a clunky meandering and unexpected narrative, creates a psychological portrait of confusion to mimic the characters' own evasive yet pining psychologies. Here we get the bold canvased visuals of men against landscapes, coded morality in the bullet-in-hand gesture of friendship from Brando, and other Fordian borrowings down to the humor in eccentric townie dynamics during the festival. However, vengeance cannot be simplified or cathartic for our hero when morality is revealed to be relative outside of those codes, and the brazen savagery of revisionism is depicted as meaningless as opposed to its purgative norm, reflective of the vacuous equity between morals and violence.

It's a far cry from the classic theme of order harnessing a Hobbesian society, when that moral order is established from the start in a sparked action from the ignorant Brando in saving his father figure and friend with intimacy and stoicism, and the ensuing serpentine narrative demonstrates how without said order our characters are alienated but not any more aggressive because of their isolation from it. Just lost, despondent, and existentially drained. No wonder Dad takes his comfortable safe position as sheriff- it's another form of self-delusion to evade that alienation with shiny objects, but no closer to truth or meaning.

Perhaps this is what actually infuriates Brando and leads him to his vengeance, that his teachings from Dad about a moral code were untrue, making his education and formative years of identity development a lie. I realize this is reaching outside the obvious surface, but I'm not convinced that Brando is actually driven to action by Dad's betrayal at the outset. I'm not even convinced that Brando knows what his plans are, if he's being honest or manipulative with Louisa, and my reason is simply that Brando's stares and mannerisms insinuate the disposition of a man who doesn't know himself why he's doing what he's doing, but all he knows is that he feels strong emotions that are uncomfortable. The regressively barbaric scenes in the film stem from overwhelming emotion funneled into the default secondary emotion of men: Anger. But anger almost always begins with a deeper, less tangible pathos, and that's the air these characters breathe- so thick it practically fogs the atmosphere in every frame.

I believe that Brando's turning point is not plotting in prison, but that the moment where Dad lies about the horses in present day is when he actually breaks down to surrender to entertain a violent plan vs. a moral one. They're both equally vapid and meaningless, but when Dad proves that even with time to think, outside of a potentially-excusable fight/flight moment of turnin' yellow, not to mention a deeper assimilation into the 'moral' world of order, he is still violating that morality- the code he taught Brando- it doubles down on its meaninglessness and insults Brando's worth as a man, a son, a human being. He has been robbed of more than time, but of his own identity- taken by the man who helped him craft it. At least with revenge he can transform this intangible loss into tangible anger and have a chance at emotional release, though this has been evidenced as futile already.

As Brando says to Dad, he would have shot him on the spot if his mind was made up that way, but when Dad lies to his face we see Brando's ego shatter behind his facade. Brando taking his time, infuriating his gang with indecisiveness, is emblematic of a man who is fighting with himself over what to do. I don't believe he's torn because he feels two logical or moral choices so strongly, but because he cannot see the conclusive value in either, or any, option- and he's smart and thoughtful and sensitive enough to exercise any opportunity to avoid the fatalism of a nihilistic worldview that haunts him.

Once this gestation of time passes, Brando openly admits that he is seeking vengeance because of the betrayal and prison time during his confession to Louisa, but I think these are lies to himself that he must revert back to in the same self-delusion that acted as fuel for him to resiliently survive prison. I love how when Louisa proposes that Brando thinks killing Dad will "make you a man," he replies, "I don't know about that, but I know that's what kept me going all those years." It's deeply tragic that after all that musing, thinking, and feeling in desperation, he couldn't find a reason not to embrace anger, to even define what self-actualization is for him- because that reason isn't there. For all the beautiful, warm shots in this film is an ironic core of philosophical ice, but the film isn't taking a nihilistic stance. Instead the film posits that it's not in philosophy that we find meaning, but in our capacity to feel genuine emotion. It doesn't necessarily provide order, often quite the opposite, but in the absence of secure codes of morality one needs to rely on the nebulous yet fervent energy between the self and the environment- or that warm embrace with another from a safe distance, like Brando's beautiful goodbye with Chico, or his time with Louisa. But does any of this "make him a man?" I think that's what Brando has been staring off and trying to figure, and feel, out while coming up empty. In the end, shooting a man in the back in a cheap trick is not meditated on for its violation of a moral code, but translated nonchalantly just as a moral shootout with rules and respect would be portrayed. It's all the same when respect means nothing.

There is even a glimmer of hope when Brando and Chico share a sense of morality, and can express it briefly, but it's still bitterly proven fruitless when put into practice in the very next scene. However, having that morality to hold onto oneself, to be the carrier of your own code flexibly in relation to the treacherous world, is possibly meaningful in a vacuum, however fleeting. Maybe. It's hard to say. No wonder Brando is so conflicted. Thank God the film doesn't take any easy route to deliver a thesis warranting relief, and allows that discord to simply exist without an answer. This is possibly the closest a western has come to expressing the emotional dysregulation born and immobilized from the insoluble mysteries of real life. It's like an Antonioni film from the same era, set in the wild west, and reading it this way is even more tragic: that perhaps it's not that we've outgrown our morals but that they never really did us any good or had much value to begin with.

hearthesilence

#20 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:56 pm

This is next up on the Film Foundation's Monday screenings, which include an optional live chat at 7pm EST.

Restoration details are impressive:

ONE–EYED JACKS was restored using the original 35mm 8–perf VistaVision negative, scanned at 6K on a Northlight scanner, along with the separation masters. Digital restoration was completed at 4K resolution. As the negative exhibited some color fading, the Y–layer separation master was used to replace the blue color record. To replace some dupe sections cut into the negative, the scans of all three separation masters were used. Several vintage dye–transfer prints were screened for color reference.

The audio restoration was completed from the original mag master, with clicks, pops, and other noise removed and the tracks equalized. Picture and audio restoration was completed at NBCUniversal StudioPost with additional work at Prasad Group and MTI Film.