322 The Complete Mr. Arkadin

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 322 The Complete Mr. Arkadin

#301 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:44 pm

cinemartin wrote:I would think he wouldn't say a line that was against his wishes.
Sometimes the only way to know if something works is to try it on and see if it fits. The wishes presumably came after this.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#302 Post by Drucker » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:45 pm

That's not really accurate, cinemartin. Welles edited Arkadin for a very long time (8 months I believe), and it was eventually taken out of his hands. He did not just up and leave. He was forced out.

Roger Ryan

#303 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:49 pm

I just checked the Bracco death scene from CONFIDENTIAL REPORT and feel pretty certain that Welles did not dub the voice in this version (as he did in the Corinth version, the soundtrack from which was also used for the "Comprehensive version"). Nonetheless, there are numerous examples of Welles working under protest to alter his own films to please a producer or studio, from the several days of studio re-shoots undertaken for THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI to the re-editing and complete re-dubbing of MACBETH. As Drucker pointed out, Welles was pushed out during post-production of ARKADIN and did not abandon the film willingly. He was offered the opportunity to buy the film back at one point, but he didn't think it would be a good use of his finances and, quite possibly, he wasn't in love with the project enough to fight harder for it.

Cagliostro

#304 Post by Cagliostro » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:I'll stand by the "Comprehensive version" as my preferred edition - it has the best continuity and this is a film that needs all the continuity it can get.
Agreed. My only beef with the "Comprehensive Version" is the movement of the credits to the end. It's a minor complaint, all things considered. But in every known version the credits appear at the beginning of the film, including Corinth, and I don't think I've seen an explanation for the change. It's true that Welles placed the credits at the end of a number of his films (Kane, Ambersons, Othello), which (correct me if I'm wrong) was unusual for the time. But I don't see how this, in and of itself, is an argument for the change in Arkadin. Rather, the introduction to this oddball cast of characters at the beginning of the film sets the tone for the pulpy caper pic we're about to embark on. And as such segues nicely into Van Stratten's arrival at Tamiroff's.

Ovader

#305 Post by Ovader » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:22 pm

I just noticed this DVD Edition is Currently Unavailable on the CC website and curious to know if this has been the case for several months or more?

therewillbeblus

#306 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:26 pm

Really hope they don’t cut any of that packaging down when upgraded

Ovader

#307 Post by Ovader » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:29 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:26 pm
Really hope they don’t cut any of that packaging down when upgraded
I have a feeling the Novel will be omitted.

movielocke

#308 Post by movielocke » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:59 pm

Was about to watch this on the channel but after clicking on it had no idea where to begin. I’m likely only going to watch one version, but which one should it be?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#309 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:14 pm

The comprehensive (Criterion edit), no doubt about it.

therewillbeblus

#310 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:33 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:14 pm
The comprehensive (Criterion edit), no doubt about it.
I don’t remember the key differences, but I do know this is the correct answer

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#311 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:54 pm

The Wiki article goes a bit into the differences. It's the truest to the way Welles envisioned the film, it's more complete, and I remember watching the three in succession and finding that artistically there was no contest that this one.

Stefan Andersson

#312 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:49 pm

All three versions now on a German Bluray (Region B). Details and relevant links here:
https://www.wellesnet.com/phpbb2/viewto ... aef#p27734

Mods: Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere already.