900 100 Years of Olympic Films

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
zedz

Re: 900 100 Years of Olympic Films

#201 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:25 am

swo17 wrote:Hey, your write-up was entertaining, so at least that came out of it. Also, you refer twice to Frankenheimer above, but I assume you mean Schlesinger?
Duh! Of course.

Lemmy Caution

#202 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:49 am

Not sure what the phrase "great films about the art of sports" means ...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#203 Post by swo17 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:12 am

Kind of like zedz' category of "The Film That Uses the Olympics as Raw Material for Experimental / Artful Purposes." Films that focus on the beauty of the sights and sounds of athletic pursuits

Lemmy Caution

#204 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:59 pm

Great artistic films about sport. Got it.

Jean Vigo's Taris is the first thing that comes to mind.
A 10 minute swimming film with some elegant camera work and effects.

colinr0380

#205 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:39 pm

zedz wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:46 pm
The stories he selects are slanted towards the US, and are artificially pumped up with cheesy drama and hyperbole. Athlete X isn't just competing for a medal, she's competing for her father, who died only six weeks / six months / six years earlier. Athlete Y isn't just battling their opponents, they're battling terminal cancer / a twisted ankle / dyslexia. Every identical event is an epic confrontation that none of us will ever forget, even if our minds were erased with Mind Rubbers. Hand in hand with this is some of the most pretentious narration I've ever heard, larded with ludicrous superlatives. One favourite was a reference to ice as "the most treacherous of all the Alpine elements!" Two different sports are referred to as "the most dangerous of all the Winter Olympic sports!" in different Greenspan films (downhill racing and luge, if I recall correctly). Greenspan's musical choices are relentlessly crappy as well. They really are a case of "seen one, seen 'em all."
As with seemingly everything in life, there's a We Bare Bears sketch that tackles this packaging of athlete's emotive backstories. I found it even more amusing after the go-to discussion point for commentators during the recent Olympics was how difficult it was for all the athletes to have to build their own gyms during the pandemic!