772 Blind Chance

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Boosmahn

Re: 772 Blind Chance

#26 Post by Boosmahn » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:06 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:03 pm
Sorry, but I don't buy any of that.
All right, you've convinced me. "Evidence" was too confident of a word... maybe "points I noticed" is a better phrase. In the case of #2, if I were in Witek's shoes, I would probably regret not reconnecting with him.

And I was not aware of that interrogation. If I revisit this film (which would be in a while since I just rewatched it), I'll keep that in mind.
soundchaser wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:18 pm
I’m not sure what that theory would add to the film — not to shut on it too much, but it feels like the Kieslowski equivalent of “Mace Windu is Snoke,” in that its relation to what’s presented onscreen is tenuous at best, and it wouldn’t actually mean anything.
Yes, it doesn't really add anything to the movie. Just thought it was an idea to kick around.

clownmeat

#27 Post by clownmeat » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:16 pm

I’ve been meaning to ask about this ever since the Criterion Blu-ray of Blind Chance was released; needless to say, I’m awfully good at procrastinating.

On my first viewing, I noticed the final shot had been changed with new CG animation. Personally I’m fine with the alteration—the original effects shot was not well-executed, to the point of distraction. (For reference, the original shot does appear in one of the supplements.) But considering the sanctity with which most film restorations are approached, I’m surprised by the seeming lack of explanation or information as to the decision behind this change.

At the time I emailed Criterion to ask if they knew anything more about this, but from their reaction they appeared equally as surprised.

Anyway, just curious if anyone’s ever come across a statement from TOR, the supervisors of the restoration, the DOP or anyone involved about the CG addition in the final shot.

FlickeringWindow

#28 Post by FlickeringWindow » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:08 pm

clownmeat wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:16 pm
I’ve been meaning to ask about this ever since the Criterion Blu-ray of Blind Chance was released; needless to say, I’m awfully good at procrastinating.

On my first viewing, I noticed the final shot had been changed with new CG animation. Personally I’m fine with the alteration—the original effects shot was not well-executed, to the point of distraction. (For reference, the original shot does appear in one of the supplements.) But considering the sanctity with which most film restorations are approached, I’m surprised by the seeming lack of explanation or information as to the decision behind this change.

At the time I emailed Criterion to ask if they knew anything more about this, but from their reaction they appeared equally as surprised.

Anyway, just curious if anyone’s ever come across a statement from TOR, the supervisors of the restoration, the DOP or anyone involved about the CG addition in the final shot.
I’m shocked that it’s even a CGI shot since I’ve only seen the film via the Criterion Blu-ray. I had assumed it was either real footage or an outtake from a 70s disaster movie. Perhaps that’s why it’s unmentioned because I never would have guessed it was anything but original, though wondered how a low-budget Polish film had such a convincing shot like that.

clownmeat

#29 Post by clownmeat » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:44 pm

FlickeringWindow wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:08 pm
I’m shocked that it’s even a CGI shot since I’ve only seen the film via the Criterion Blu-ray. I had assumed it was either real footage or an outtake from a 70s disaster movie. Perhaps that’s why it’s unmentioned because I never would have guessed it was anything but original, though wondered how a low-budget Polish film had such a convincing shot like that.
Indeed, the original shot is also on the older Kino DVD release, as well as the Criterion supplements:
SpoilerShow
Both versions of the final shot begin with the same live-action shot of the takeoff; the original has a poor match cut to a miniature in front of a cyclorama, whereas the CG version has a seamless extension and more realistic explosion.