The Valachi Papers
Edition no. 212
Based on the disclosures of mobster Joe Valachi, as recounted in Peter Maas’ best-selling biography and at a sensational congressional hearing, The Valachi Papers tells the story of one man’s brutal journey through the ranks of the Cosa Nostra, and a betrayal that would reveal the secrets of the Mob to the world.
Terence Young (From Russia with Love) skilfully renders the clandestine world of violent gangsters in this stylish European co-production which benefits from thrilling action, a no-nonsense central portrayal from Charles Bronson (Breakout), and impressive ensemble performances from Lino Ventura (The Medusa Touch), Joseph Wiseman (The Garment Jungle) and Jill Ireland (The Valdez Horses).
- Audio commentary with film historian Paul Talbot, author of Bronson’s Loose! The Making of the ‘Death Wish’ Films and Bronson’s Loose Again! (2021)
- New interview with screenwriter Stephen Geller (2021)
- New interview with make-up artist Giannetto De Rossi (2021)
- Valachi: The Violent Era (1972, 7 mins): archival making-of featurette with on-set interviews with Terence Young and Charles Bronson
- On-set Footage (1972, 2 mins): rare behind-the-scenes
- The Valachi Hearings (1963): selection of highlights from Joseph Valachi’s testimony to Senator John L McClellan’s congressional committee on organised crime
- Original theatrical trailer
- TV Spot
- Radio Spot
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
- Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Pasquale Iannone, newspaper reports on Joseph Valachi’s criminal career, excerpts from the source book by Peter Maas, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits