Dust in the Wind (Hou, 1986)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
funkcisco

#1 Post by funkcisco » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:02 pm

Anyone knows where I can get a copy of Hou Hsiao-Hsien's 1986 classic Dust In The Wind with English subtitles?

I can't find it anywhere

kinjitsu

#2 Post by kinjitsu » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:18 pm

YesAsia carries two different editions, albeit, with Chinese subs. Looks like the only edition with English subs was part of a 4-disc set which apparently is OOP.

Stagger Lee

#3 Post by Stagger Lee » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:58 pm

eBay.

Dust in the Wind is one of my favorite Hou films. This is a nice box, but I don't know how much the auctions usually close at.

Update: the box was evidently reissued.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#4 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:43 pm

Sino Movies (a company connected with HHH, I believe) is the company that issued the set originally.

A better version is not likely to appear any time soon. Highly recommended.

Skritek

#5 Post by Skritek » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:41 am

It could be still available here, but I don't really know this retailer, so I'm holding off from buying. Unfortunately the eBay seller doesn't deliver to Europe :(

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:53 am

YesAsia only lists the HHH box set as "out of stock" -- and lets you ask them to "track it down". Sometimes this actually works....

There is also a box set (from Hoker -- Taiwan) that lists the same three films -- plus "Sandwich Man" and Yang's "Terrorizers" -- but only admits to Chinese subtitles (unfortunately, probably the case). In any event, Hoker releases are usually pretty marginal (at least prior ones have seemed that way).

feckless boy

#7 Post by feckless boy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:36 am

There is also a box set (from Hoker -- Taiwan) that lists the same three films -- plus "Sandwich Man" and Yang's "Terrorizers" -- but only admits to Chinese subtitles (unfortunately, probably the case). In any event, Hoker releases are usually pretty marginal (at least prior ones have seemed that way).

The Hoker set includes: Dust in the Wind, The Time to Live and the Time to Die (both Hou Hsiao Hsien), In Our Time, The Sandwich Man (both episode films) and The Terrorizers (Edward Yang). They are all single-layered, interlaced and non-anamorphic. They also have burnt-in chinese subtitles. No surprise there. More positive: In Our Time features english subtitles through-out (while The Time to Live and the Time to Die has it on some reels).

alfons416

#8 Post by alfons416 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:23 pm

the sino boxset is wonderfull!

zedz

#9 Post by zedz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:34 pm

feckless boy wrote:The Hoker set includes: Dust in the Wind, The Time to Live and the Time to Die (both Hou Hsiao Hsien), In Our Time, The Sandwich Man (both episode films) and The Terrorizers (Edward Yang). They are all single-layered, interlaced and non-anamorphic. They also have burnt-in chinese subtitles. No surprise there. More positive: In Our Time features english subtitles through-out (while The Time to Live and the Time to Die has it on some reels).
I think I've got this version of In Our Time: pretty nasty quality with burnt in double subtitles. I'm glad to have been able to see such a historically significant film, but it's nevertheless one of the worst DVDs I own.

ltfontaine

#10 Post by ltfontaine » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:38 am

zedz wrote:[I think I've got this version of In Our Time: pretty nasty quality with burnt in double subtitles. I'm glad to have been able to see such a historically significant film, but it's nevertheless one of the worst DVDs I own.
Like watching and hearing the film through a fish tank.

Given the dubious quality of circulating copies of Yang's earlier work, I wonder if its failure to be released on commercial DVD doesn't boil down, at least in part, to an absence of good elements?

feckless boy

#11 Post by feckless boy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:09 am

The Sino box is also available from JSDVD (Taiwan) for just over 40 dollar. I have ordered from them once and the ordering/payment process is a bit complicated, but very quick delivery.

Skritek

#12 Post by Skritek » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:31 pm

Unfortunately it's out of stock there :(

Stagger Lee

#13 Post by Stagger Lee » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:06 pm

I watched Dust in the Wind today after this thread got me thinking about it again. I had forgotten how gorgeous the film is. Every shot is perfect and the environments are beautiful. There's a 180-degree (-ish) pan near the end of the film that just kills me. I think I remember seeing someone criticize the film as "Hou lite," but the story is heartbreaking and feels very personal, and the thick layer of Taiwanese tradition/culture is fascinating. It really is a masterful film.

Plus, it's got Tianlu Li. Hou should make a whole movie just about him...oh wait, he did! Too bad it's only available in pan & scan.

Does anyone else just adore Hou's "friends hanging out" scenes? There's an especially lovely nighttime one in Dust. Any other impressions?