'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Big Ben

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3651 Post by Big Ben » Thu May 17, 2018 11:30 am

mfunk9786 wrote:I would really love to know why dissenting or differing opinions by total strangers are interpreted by some people as such a threat.
The reason is biological. People value their opinion as a core part of identity and therefore any disruption of that is cause for distress. The internet which can strip context and tone has exacerbated this. That's why an otherwise innocuous opinion can be become a battleground and if you add in something that's a core part of someone's identity, like Star Wars well that's a time bomb.
Last edited by Big Ben on Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian C

'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3652 Post by Brian C » Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 am

I like both LE CERCLE ROUGE - have watched it 4 or 5 times - and Melville in general a great deal, but it’s hard for me to see how her description of the film is really all that far off the mark. A lot of her points, especially the overly stylized costuming and lack of women characters, are criticisms that are pretty common even in cinephile circles.

At any rate, she acknowledges that the film fits within the aesthetic of the new AM album, which feels to me like the only “context” her piece really calls for. She’s not trying to write an overview of ‘70s film. It seems to me that if one is inclined to request that she contextualize the films, they should give the same courtesy to the context in which she saw the films in the first place.

tenia

#3653 Post by tenia » Thu May 17, 2018 11:43 am

mfunk9786 wrote:I would really love to know why dissenting or differing opinions by total strangers are interpreted by some people as such a threat.
I don't have any issue with differing opinions. My issue with the article is how it's mostly descriptive with little actual critical insight about the movies. It's all very dry and superficial, even on movies on which I agree with her. Sure, she isn't saying anything wrong about Le cercle rouge for instance (as Brian wrote), but apart from mostly summarising it, what added value does her writing bring ?

The quote I selected about Le cercle rouge is almost totally descriptive, the few personal elements look like parody ("a guy started snoring next to me, so I'm right saying it's boring !"), and in the end again, only offer very little analysis of the movie.
For instance, she noticed "There is only one female character in this film. She has one line in the entire movie. She says “What is it?” while fully nude." but does nothing with it. Is the movie misogynistic ? Is it a "very manly men"'s movie ? We'll never know because the writer doesn't do anything with this bit. It's turned into a random bit of info, thrown raw, and it remains like this.

Brian C

#3654 Post by Brian C » Thu May 17, 2018 11:59 am

Well, personally I don’t have a problem with you finding her uninteresting anymore than I do with her finding the Melville boring. But the implication that she’s doing something wrong kinda bristles, I guess. I feel like you’re doing the same thing to her that you’re accusing her of doing with these films, e.g., not evaluating the context in which it appears.

Not every piece of film writing has to be a deep dive! This piece exists mostly, it seems, to give fans of the band some idea of what the event was like. It’s not a submission to Film Comment.

tenia

#3655 Post by tenia » Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Well, I don't care about the lack of context. As I wrote, I think movies can be judge on their own merit, and you should be able to judge a movie from the 70s without having lots and lots of knowledge about 70s cinema (to make it simple). I just think that her takes on the movies are, as a whole, too descriptive and not argumentative enough, so that when she concludes this is good and this was boring, it's hard to find her case compelling or convincing.
That's what I'm mostly discussing here. The style and content, I guess, more than the lack of context.

And if the point was to give an idea of what the event was like, then why bothering trying somehow to make small critics of each movies ? Which is why I'm thinking it's either too short or too long. If it was made to be a general review of the event, then, why bothering doing superficial mini-reviews of each movie ? But if you're bothering doing individual reviews, why not taking a bit more time to refine them and go past a beefed-up summary ?

As it is, as domino wrote, it makes the whole thing seeming a bit willfully ignorant, as if the writer is happy showing she doesn't really care about those movies and is happy dismissing some of them so quickly. Not every film writing needs to be a deep dive, but there still is a minimum of compelling to do not to simply be a rehashed summary with a few superficial adjective thrown in it. See again the bit about the woman in Le cercle rouge : it's pointed out, and then ? Nothing. Why pointing it out then ?

I don't know. I wonder if the writer wanted to make such a longer piece in the first place but was giving an improbably word count to reach and had to embroider a lot.

swo17

#3656 Post by swo17 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 pm

tenia wrote:See again the bit about the woman in Le cercle rouge : it's pointed out, and then ? Nothing. Why pointing it out then ?
Her point here is self-evident, and hammers home her earlier comment about the film being dominated by men.

MichaelB

#3657 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Brian C wrote:Well, personally I don’t have a problem with you finding her uninteresting anymore than I do with her finding the Melville boring. But the implication that she’s doing something wrong kinda bristles, I guess. I feel like you’re doing the same thing to her that you’re accusing her of doing with these films, e.g., not evaluating the context in which it appears.

Not every piece of film writing has to be a deep dive! This piece exists mostly, it seems, to give fans of the band some idea of what the event was like. It’s not a submission to Film Comment.
We are not the target audience (massive understatement), and the author has made absolutely no secret of where she's coming from: she's not pretending to be any kind of 1970s film expert. I suspect if I were to review the same event, I'd focus much more on the films and skip over the music in a couple of sentences, which I imagine would be the preferred approach here... but presumably not there.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3658 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Very hot and raunchy, the lead actress was stunning. She basically has a series of sexual encounters. She is pumped numerous times, but she takes it very well. It is very sexual.

DarkImbecile

#3659 Post by DarkImbecile » Sat May 19, 2018 6:27 pm

So Book Club is even steamier than the trailers suggest?

Brian C

#3660 Post by Brian C » Sun May 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Verhoeven’s Elle? Seems like a description some internet creep would bestow on that film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3661 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 20, 2018 11:20 pm

It's for Q (Not the winged serpent one)

John Shade

#3662 Post by John Shade » Tue May 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Boring---We went because we had free entry after visiting the Louvre. They claimed it was a15 minute walk away - it wasn't, it took a lot longer but as we enjoy walking we didn't mind. However, the visit was a waste of time and we would have demanded our money back if we'd paid.
This is a review of the Eugene Delacroix Museum near the Louvre.

Michael Kerpan

#3663 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue May 22, 2018 9:34 pm

John Shade wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:01 pm
This is a review of the Eugene Delacroix Museum near the Louvre.
:-(