404 Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Kwyjibo

404 Robinson Crusoe on Mars

#1 Post by Kwyjibo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:07 pm

Robinson Crusoe on Mars

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/1193/404_box_348x490_w128.jpg[/img] [img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/3103/404_BD_box_348x490_w128.jpg[/img]

Special effects wunderkind and genre master Byron Haskin (The War of the Worlds, The Outer Limits) won a place in the hearts of fantasy film lovers everywhere with this gorgeously designed journey into the unknown. Robinson Crusoe on Mars tells the story of U.S. astronaut Commander “Kit” Draper (Paul Mantee), who must fight for survival when his spaceship crash-lands on the barren waste of Mars, a pet monkey his only companion. But is he actually alone? Shot in vast Techniscope and blazing color, this is an imaginative and beloved marvel of classic science fiction.

DISC FEATURES

- Restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
- Audio commentary featuring screenwriter Ib Melchior, actors Paul Mantee and Victor Lundin, production designer Al Nozaki, Oscar-winning special effects designer and Robinson Crusoe on Mars historian Robert Skotak, and excerpts from a 1979 audio interview with director Byron Haskin
- Destination Mars, a video featurette by filmmaker and space historian Michael Lennick detailing the science behind the film
- Music video for Lundin’s song “Robinson Crusoe on Mars”
- Stills gallery
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by Lennick as well as Melchior’s “Brief Yargorian Vocabulary” (a glossary of original alien dialect) and a list of facts about Mars, both from his original screenplay

Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled
Last edited by Kwyjibo on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon

#2 Post by Gordon » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:56 am

Are you being serious? This would be terrific news, but I will remain sceptical for now.

keeproductions

#3 Post by keeproductions » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:04 pm

Not that it would "prove" anything, but could you post the email here? I am excited but skeptical as well...

Kwyjibo

#4 Post by Kwyjibo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:29 pm

I had my doubts about posting this knowing many of you would be skeptical. However, I can confirm from my e-mail sitting in my inbox that what I have told you is true. Again, I can't confirm a time table or mention any special features as he didn't divulge that info to me, but all I can tell you is that I'm telling the truth. Now, whether or not Robinson Crusoe on Mars actually comes to fruition is beyond my knowledge. I guess it's possible that they licensed the title but may encounter something in the future that would prevent them from releasing it. Again, I've said all I know and I assure I'm not pulling anyone's leg.

ByMarkClark.com

#5 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:34 am

Thanks for posting this. For what it's worth, when I posted my tip that the four Richard and Alex Gordon films would be coming from Criterion (about 2 years ago, now), that news was met with skepticism as well.

I'm betting what you've heard is real.

Jeff

#6 Post by Jeff » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:50 pm

ByMarkClark.com wrote:Thanks for posting this. For what it's worth, when I posted my tip that the four Richard and Alex Gordon films would be coming from Criterion (about 2 years ago, now), that news was met with skepticism as well.
This is a little different, Mark. I never had any trouble believing you because it seemed legitimate that you would have interviewed Gordon. I think people are skeptical here because this is a first time poster. Robinson Crusoe on Mars is owned by Paramount, so unless this was a special one-time deal done as a favor to Crusoe fan William Becker (as was the case with the laserdisc), this would constitute a major coup (and would also result in a wild, obnoxious bout of speculation about what other titles Criterion may have licensed from Paramount). I'm not insinuating that Kwyjibo is lying, but I think a healthy dose of skepticism in appropriate here. I hope he's right, and I welcome him to the forum. If Turell, Lipson, or "Mulvaney" independently confirms this rumor to a longtime, trusted member, I'll be very happy to hear about it. I think most people have chosen just not to respond to this until we have something more solid to go on.
Last edited by Jeff on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ByMarkClark.com

#7 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:33 pm

I didn't realize CRUSOE was owned by Paramount. That DOES make this an eyebrow-raiser. I'll see if I can learn anythin about this through my back-channel source.

But, hey, weirder things have happened.

Kwyjibo

#8 Post by Kwyjibo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:24 pm

I understand the skepticism and I'm not taking it personally. I know that taking the word from a first-timer is hard. I've been a lurker on this forum for several months and never really felt the need to post because I enjoyed just reading everyone's thoughts. But when I got the news and saw no one else had posted anything on it, I thought now would be a great time to join the board and start off with a bang. I myself will be disappointed if it turns out the title doesn't come out from Criterion or even Eclipse because then I will have joined this group in a way I hadn't intended.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#9 Post by cdnchris » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:15 am

His screen name's a Simpsons reference. So he's okay in my book, even if it turns out it's a crock.

I'll reserve judgement as we've had surprises before that weren't expected (Fox, New Line, Lionsgate), though Paramount would be a huge surprise. My understanding is that they had a hell of time getting this one from Paramount for laser, so I can't imagine it would be easier on DVD.

Caught the film on TV once. Not what I expected and thought it to be okay, but if anyone released it on DVD with those same features, I'd pick it up without thinking. The laserdisc looked pretty nice.

mikeohhh

#10 Post by mikeohhh » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:01 am

cdnchris wrote:His screen name's a Simpsons reference. So he's okay in my book, even if it turns out it's a crock.
Yeah, I was just thinking, "Kwyjibo" was probably the first funny joke ever on The Simpsons. First scene in "Bart the Genius."

wiljan

#11 Post by wiljan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:08 am

I guess he was right after all, according to the latest newsletter:
This year at Criterion, we've had a lot of great releases, and we're already looking forward to what 2007 will bring. There are many treasures in store for the new year, including some of our latest acquisitions, such as John Huston's Under the Volcano, and titles from our laserdisc days, like Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

Matango

#12 Post by Matango » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:19 am

This is the one laserdisc-to-DVD Criterion I've really been hoping for. Janus president Saul Turell had it on his wishlist too, along with two others, when CC first started. The laserdisc is one of the most extras-packed in the Colledtion. :D

mezcla

#13 Post by mezcla » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:51 am

already posted. my bad

link
Last edited by mezcla on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

dx23

#14 Post by dx23 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:52 am

mezcla wrote:from the 2nd Newsletter of the month

This year at Criterion, we've had a lot of great releases, and we're already looking forward to what 2007 will bring. There are many treasures in store for the new year, including some of our latest acquisitions, such as John Huston's Under the Volcano, and titles from our laserdisc days, like Robinson Crusoe on Mars.
Read 2 posts above yours.

rwaits

#15 Post by rwaits » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:45 am

I think someone owes Kwyjibo an apology.

Napoleon

#16 Post by Napoleon » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:05 am

I'm still waiting for chaddoli to get their apology and they were outright flamed, not greeted with mild skepticism.

colinr0380

#17 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:49 am

I thought this would be a good place to discuss some of the other Paramount titles in the collection. I don't know much about rights issues. I guess The Scarlet Empress was released because it was later bought by Universal. Was it the same case with some of the W.C. Fields Shorts?

The Blob also begins with a Paramount logo, but was that able to be released because the film was owned by Tonylyn Productions and just distributed by Paramount? If that is the case, I suppose a similar thing occured with Fiend Without A Face, which opens with the MGM logo?

So although there are other Paramount titles, am I right in thinking Robinson Crusoe on Mars is the first Paramount title to 'officially' come from them?

Lino

#18 Post by Lino » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:09 am

If that proves to be true and this title really is a bona-fide Paramount property, this could mean Face to Face getting a Criterion release.

Jeff

#19 Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:18 pm

Ah, sweet vindication Kwyjibo. Good for you, and welcome aboard!

Before people start speculating about every Paramount title under the sun, keep in mind that RCoM was the only title they licensed to Criterion on laser, and that was done as a special favor. I'm betting the same thing happened here.

atcolomb

#20 Post by atcolomb » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:06 pm

It's nice to see Criterion release it but it makes you wonder about Paramount studios and why they did not release it. Either they think there is no market for the movie or there are some very stupid people running the place!.... :-k
Last edited by atcolomb on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinephrenic

#21 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:18 pm

I think there are some stupid people running the place. Just look how long it took to get The Conformist and 1900 out on DVD.

mikeohhh

#22 Post by mikeohhh » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:16 pm

Here's to hoping Ace in the Hole can be a special favor! [/pointlessParamountspeculation]

mikeohhh

#23 Post by mikeohhh » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:21 pm

Napoleon wrote:I'm still waiting for chaddoli to get their apology and they were outright flamed, not greeted with mild skepticism.
The funniest part of that was that one of Anthony's "crazy random speculation titles" (Breathless) was more or less confirmed by Matt Lipson like the next week.

Gordon

#24 Post by Gordon » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:27 pm

rwaits wrote:I think someone owes Kwyjibo an apology.
If I had to apologise every time I expressed scepticism, I would have become destitute years ago!

Nevertheless: All hail, Kwyjibo! :D

I am actually more delighted at the news of Under the Volcano, long absent from my Huston collection - and it will be a Criterion?! Oh, joy! :D

TheRanchHand

#25 Post by TheRanchHand » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:25 pm

Awesome news!

I sold my laserdisc of this years ago and never wanted to cough up the $150 to get it off of Ebay. This has been my top laserdisc turnover ever since they went to DVD. Hopefully they will keep the same supplements like the commentary.

Now if they just do Bad Day At Black Rock and The Great Escape again I'll die a happy man (well, I'll die happy anyway since Crusoe is back!)