It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm
Ran (Kurosawa) & A.K.(Marker)

Can anybody who has picked up the Australian Ran / A.K. double-disc set comment on the quality of the transfers? i.e. Is there any good reason not to pick it up? I've been half-waiting for a Beaver comparison before committing, but no such luck.


Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:31 am
Location: Wuppertal, Germany
zedz wrote:
Ran (Kurosawa) & A.K.(Marker)

Can anybody who has picked up the Australian Ran / A.K. double-disc set comment on the quality of the transfers?

I own two versions of the film, the Masterworks edition for the audio commentaries and the Universal for the movie and the doc. The R4 has a very good transfer, here you can see a comparison between the uk, the german and the Masterworks r1 edition (the german is the same disk as the australian, from Universal too). I read somewhere the Universal has far better subtitles, and bought it because of that (instead of the uk), but I cant remember where I read it... But if you already own the uk Disk from Warner, there is, in my opinion, no real need to buy the Universal disk.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:47 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: Seattle
zedz wrote:
I've been half-waiting for a Beaver comparison before committing, but no such luck.

DVD Beaver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Dersu Uzala
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:17 am 
Could anybody recommend a good version of Dersu Uzala? I would really like to get it on DVD, but I don't want a crappy version. Is there any chance Criterion could release it? Any help would be great, thanks.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:00 pm 
"Without obsession, life is nothing"
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Sitting End
tigerarmy13 wrote:
Could anybody recommend a good version of Dersu Uzala?

Take your pick. However, I do agree that this one needs a definitive edition. It's among my favorites of his. Maybe MoC will rise to the occasion one day...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:16 pm 
Lino wrote:

I don't really like either of them. I think this movie deserves a better treatment. Could Criterion ever release this?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:45 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:10 am
Location: Hampshire, UK
tigerarmy13 wrote:
Lino wrote:

I don't really like either of them. I think this movie deserves a better treatment. Could Criterion ever release this?

Dersu Uzala will be released in May by Arrow Film Distributors (R2-UK). Quality can't be any worse than the two compared on the Beaver. Well lets hope anyway!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:03 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
the Soviet film stock Kurosawa was forced to use has gone the way of all things pre-1989 Russkie. A similar thought crossed my mind recently when watching the Kino DVD release of Tarkovsky's "Mirror", that even Hi-Def couldn't improve such shoddy material

I'm not convinced that the film elements for Tarkovsky's films are in such bad shape. The 35mm print of Solaris I saw a couple of years ago was beautiful, and I think The Mirror (and maybe Dersu Uzala) suffers more from Kino's ineptitude/apathy towards the quality of their transfers (though they have been getting somewhat better recently) than of the print condition. The prints employed on Ruscico DVDs of Tarkovsy's films look just fine (though Ruscico generally doesn't do so well at transferring either).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:10 am 

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:49 pm
Location: Round Lake, Illinois USA
Criterion did release Dersu Uzala on laserdisc about 10 years ago and doing my own comparison the laserdisc is the same print Kino used on their dvd. My problem with the Ruscico dvd is that it is not a sharp as the Kino dvd and there is too much shimering on the image.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Kurosawa on DVD
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:01 pm
Location: WellyYeller
Kurosawa's Shubun (Scandal)

A review of the R4 AV Channel release here. Wait for the BFI.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: New England
Quote:
Wait for the BFI.

Masters of Cinema? ;~}


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:41 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:01 pm
Location: WellyYeller
Correct I was quoting from the review without checking. (Spanking for Flixy..) Should add I think MoC will do a better job.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: New England
Very much looking forward to the two MOC Kurosawa releases. (But STILLl waiting on my seemingly lost-in-transit "Humanity aand Paper Balloons").


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:26 am 

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:48 pm
Hi,

I just bought a copy of Dedeska-Den (in Israel) and I wondered if the this DVD, which is in 4:3 aspect ratio in faithful to the original ratio.

Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:43 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:46 am
bergelson wrote:
I just bought a copy of Dedeska-Den (in Israel) and I wondered if the this DVD, which is in 4:3 aspect ratio in faithful to the original ratio.

I believe it's one of the more square-sh widescreens, like 1.78 or 1.66/1. The old Janus VHS was-- I think-- 1.66/1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:00 am 

Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:39 am
HerrSchreck wrote:
bergelson wrote:
I just bought a copy of Dedeska-Den (in Israel) and I wondered if the this DVD, which is in 4:3 aspect ratio in faithful to the original ratio.

I believe it's one of the more square-sh widescreens, like 1.78 or 1.66/1. The old Janus VHS was-- I think-- 1.66/1

Japanese DVD (from Toho) is 1.33:1. I'd take their word for gospel. I don't remember having seen it in any other ratio.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:38 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:46 am
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

Quote:
Letterboxed, November 15, 2005
Reviewer: Scott (Spokane, WA USA) - See all my reviews
It doesn't say it in the Amazon description or the video box, but the film is letterboxed to about 1.66:1 (which appears to be the original aspect ratio).

Since Kurosawa was a master of using the whole frame, this is very good news. I was prepared to live with a pan-and-scan edition; finding that it was letterboxed was a very nice surprise. From Amazon, user review from the Janus/HVe vhs of dodeskaden


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:05 pm 

Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:39 am
HerrSchreck wrote:
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

Quote:
Letterboxed, November 15, 2005
Reviewer: Scott (Spokane, WA USA) - See all my reviews
It doesn't say it in the Amazon description or the video box, but the film is letterboxed to about 1.66:1 (which appears to be the original aspect ratio).

Since Kurosawa was a master of using the whole frame, this is very good news. I was prepared to live with a pan-and-scan edition; finding that it was letterboxed was a very nice surprise. From Amazon, user review from the Janus/HVe vhs of dodeskaden

Interesting. But I'd still like to take that with a grain of salt. The film is Toho production, the Japanese DVD is released by Toho (sourced from their own masters/prints/etc.) in the Kurosawa Masterworks -line. See the official Toho Kurosawa DVD-site, and Dodesuka-den.

Any other recollections, opinions?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:46 am
Hashi wrote:
Interesting. But I'd still like to take that with a grain of salt. The film is Toho production, the Japanese DVD is released by Toho (sourced from their own masters/prints/etc.) in the Kurosawa Masterworks -line. See the official Toho Kurosawa DVD-site, and Dodesuka-den.

Any other recollections, opinions?

Toho is a disgrace when it comes to film preservation-- and this was a Four Kings production, independant, maybe Toho distributed it, but those slobs are lucky that they even remember it was in color. I wouldn't trust them to properly produce a blank piece of leader-film to thread a projector with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:14 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: New England
HerrSchreck wrote:
Toho is a disgrace when it comes to film preservation-- and this was a Four Kings production, independant, maybe Toho distributed it, but those slobs are lucky that they even remember it was in color. I wouldn't trust them to properly produce a blank piece of leader-film to thread a projector with.

I think you have gone way way overboard here.

In any event, Toho is by far the best Japanese studio in terms of preservation of its vintage film sources.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:51 pm 

Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:39 am
Michael Kerpan wrote:
I think you have gone way way overboard here.

In any event, Toho is by far the best Japanese studio in terms of preservation of its vintage film sources.

Ok, stand corrected about production, did remember something about independent funding but the Toho logo seems to be stuck in my recollections. In any case, companies seem to base their discs on Toho masters (Criterion included) so I don't think they can se that shite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:25 pm 

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:55 pm
Hashi wrote:
Ok, stand corrected about production, did remember something about independent funding but the Toho logo seems to be stuck in my recollections. In any case, companies seem to base their discs on Toho masters (Criterion included) so I don't think they can se that shite.

The Criterion Laserdisc has an aspect ratio of 1.66.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:49 am 
Go, and never darken my towels again!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:24 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
kekid wrote:
The Criterion Laserdisc has an aspect ratio of 1.66.

According to Stuart Galbraith's The Emperor and the Wolf the film was released in standard size and "some US home video editions are incorrectly cropped to 1.66:1".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:43 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:01 pm
Location: WellyYeller
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
According to Stuart Galbraith's The Emperor and the Wolf the film was released in standard size and "some US home video editions are incorrectly cropped to 1.66:1".

This is bizarre! I remember seeing the Oz prem of Do'deska'den at the SFF in the sixties and it was definitely widescreen. At least masked. Definitely. (Be still my rotting brain!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:38 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
In any event, Toho is by far the best Japanese studio in terms of preservation of its vintage film sources.

Maybe so, but I watched the Toho DVD of Kurosawa's Stray Dog, and compared to the Criterion DVD, it certainly looked worse, and also had a lot of missing frames where the screen would totally go black for an instant. Black levels were too high and Whites were too bright.....
that might be cuz i saw it on 2 different sets, but regardless the missing frames and quality, Criterion totally outshined them.

Plus Toho and other Japanese DVD companies overcharge an incredible amout.....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection