Flicker Alley

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Jonathan S

Re: Flicker Alley

#501 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 am

If you need it now, maybe it would be worth the risk as the item is $15 cheaper than Amazon (don't know how the shipping cost compares). I've never ordered direct from FA - maybe someone else can advise on whether they declare the full value (or you could e-mail them)?

Brvtality

#502 Post by Brvtality » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 am

Yes, good point. Have sent them an email. In the mean time, if anyone has dealt directly with them before please let me know!

Thanks for your input :D

Finch

#503 Post by Finch » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:14 pm

I'd wait for Flicker Alley to confirm for sure but I never got stung by customs on direct orders and the last one was the Trip to the Moon steelbook which was well over £15.

Brvtality

#504 Post by Brvtality » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:34 am

Finch wrote:I'd wait for Flicker Alley to confirm for sure but I never got stung by customs on direct orders and the last one was the Trip to the Moon steelbook which was well over £15.
Took a risk and ordered it but then got an email from Flicker Alley; thankfully I will not get stung by customs. Pleased to have it on the way; as a set of rare films just over £40 when converted seems like good value for 8 features.

manicsounds

#505 Post by manicsounds » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:45 am

DVDBeaver reviews "This Is Cinerama"

"This Is Must Buy" for me now. Where is the cheapest place to get this from? The cheapest I see for both this and "Windjammer" is $29

htdm

#506 Post by htdm » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:58 pm

The cheapest I've found is from the Flicker Alley site - 29.96 per title and free shipping within the US.

manicsounds

#507 Post by manicsounds » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:54 am

Yeah, that's where I saw the $29 price. Some places list the list price as $59, while others at $39.

manicsounds

#509 Post by manicsounds » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:52 am

Decided not to wait, went with ordering both directly from Flicker Alley. Can't wait to watch these.

captveg

#510 Post by captveg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:47 pm

In case anyone was wondering, the cases for This Is Cinerama and Windjammer are the new 2-Disc Scanavo cases that Criterion used on The Samurai Trilogy and Children of Paradise.

manicsounds

#511 Post by manicsounds » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:17 am

I ordered directly from Flicker Alley. Do they send emails to say whether items shipped or not? I haven't received any emails except the 'this is your order' email.

captveg

#512 Post by captveg » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:53 pm

manicsounds wrote:I ordered directly from Flicker Alley. Do they send emails to say whether items shipped or not? I haven't received any emails except the 'this is your order' email.
Mine arrived without any shipping notice email.

manicsounds

#513 Post by manicsounds » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:42 am

Apparently, my order still hasn't shipped. Flicker Alley gave me a 15% off coupon for the inconvenience. Nice.

manicsounds

#514 Post by manicsounds » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:48 am

I received "This Is Cinerama", it came with a booklet inside, but also included in the package was another booklet which looked identical, but the pages were in a different order. I'm guessing the extra booklet that was not inside the case is the correct version, but is this the case?

captveg

#515 Post by captveg » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:04 pm

manicsounds wrote:I received "This Is Cinerama", it came with a booklet inside, but also included in the package was another booklet which looked identical, but the pages were in a different order. I'm guessing the extra booklet that was not inside the case is the correct version, but is this the case?
Correct. The booklet in the case has pages out of order, the extra one is the corrected version.

Ashirg

#516 Post by Ashirg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:32 am

The Late Mathias Pascal is up for pre-order at Amazon with January 15 release date.
Flicker Alley is proud to present this Blu-Ray edition of The Late Mathias Pascal, a film of great distinction and virtuoso style, adapted and directed by Marcel l'Herbier from a novel by Luigi Pirandello. The biggest French fantasy film of the 1920s, it is remarkably cast with some of the great actors of that era: Ivan Mosjoukine, (as Mathias Pascal) , Michel Simon, Lois Moran, Pierre Batcheff and Marcelle Pradot. The film also boasts famous stylized sets designed by Alberto Cavalcanti and Lazare Meerson, seen here to best advantage in a stunning tinted and toned print restored by the Cinematheque Française, and accompanied by a beautiful large-orchestra score composed and conducted by Timothy Brock. Mathias, an eccentric dreamer, is trapped in the undertakings of daily life as he suffers his days in a loveless marriage, a dead end job and tyrannized by his ungrateful mother-in-law. Grief-stricken by the death of his mother and infant daughter, Mathias flees to Monte Carlo, where a run of luck at roulette wins him a fortune. After his death is falsely reported, Mathias leaps at the chance of a second and adventurous life in Rome. Both tragedy and comedy, The Late Mathias Pascal explores the struggles and possibilities of a man in search of happiness in L'Herbier's most celebrated film. Critic David Melville wrote "The White Russian exile Ivan Mosjoukine was arguably the greatest male star of the silent screen. Imagine an actor who combined the matinee idol looks of John Barrymore with the smoldering sexual magnetism of Valentino, the deft physical comedy of Chaplin with the dark Gothic creepiness of Lon Chaney. It sounds impossible, of course - unless you've seen Mosjoukine in action." This is a co-production of L'Herbier's Cinegraphic company, and Alexandre Kamenka's Films Albatros, the Parisian home of the émigré Russian screen colony and maker of many of the most prestigious films of the decade. L'Herbier at this time was among cinema s leading avant-garde directors, the equal of Fritz Lang, Abel Gance and Erich von Stroheim, and The Late Mathias Pascal is considered one of his best films, full of picturesque tricks, "spiritual" angles, and dream sequences as it passes from rural chamber-film to burlesque fantasy, with an incursion into expressionist comedy of manners.

Saturnome

#517 Post by Saturnome » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Wow wow wow. I wasn't expecting Blu-Ray for the Albatros titles.

manicsounds

#518 Post by manicsounds » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Black Friday sale at Flicker Alley, 10% off everything from the 23rd to the 26th.

On the 26th, they'll send emails out for customers for a 25% off coupon for the Windjammer/This Is Cinerama 2-pack.
Also on the 26th, Cyber Monday, 3 titles or more, 20% discount.

Minkin

#519 Post by Minkin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:25 am

manicsounds wrote:Black Friday sale at Flicker Alley, 10% off everything from the 23rd to the 26th.

On the 26th, they'll send emails out for customers for a 25% off coupon for the Windjammer/This Is Cinerama 2-pack.
Also on the 26th, Cyber Monday, 3 titles or more, 20% discount.
I can't find any information about the Winjammer/Cinerama 2-pack. Is it something that will be announced specifically in the email or is it hidden on their website? I suppose I mainly want to know how much it will be after 25% off.

Also, does one have to have a prior purchase from their website to get the discount? Or just sign up for mailing list?

manicsounds

#520 Post by manicsounds » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:47 am

I guess it's not up on their site yet. In the email it said:

As a reward, this coming Monday, November 26th, we'll be sending out an exclusive email offer for 25% OFF when ordering the 'This is Cinerama + Windjammer Combo'. 100 Combo Packages Available at this discount.

YnEoS

#521 Post by YnEoS » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:44 pm

I was curious why there was no mention of a DVD release for The Late Mathias Pascal, so I E-mailed Flicker Alley and this is the response I got.
The current Mathias Pascal release will be Blu-ray only. We will be releasing this as a DVD in the Albatros Boxset due to come out in March 2013.

McCrutchy

#522 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:21 am

manicsounds wrote:I guess it's not up on their site yet. In the email it said:

As a reward, this coming Monday, November 26th, we'll be sending out an exclusive email offer for 25% OFF when ordering the 'This is Cinerama + Windjammer Combo'. 100 Combo Packages Available at this discount.
This is now available. The total is 25% off the combo price of $69.90; $52.49 total (a few cents off) in the continental US. I'm sorely tempted...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#523 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:44 am

McCrutchy wrote:
manicsounds wrote:I guess it's not up on their site yet. In the email it said:
This is now available. The total is 25% off the combo price of $69.90; $52.49 total (a few cents off) in the continental US. I'm sorely tempted...
The "20% off orders of 3 or more" discount is also working. It's 20% off the already discounted price, so Landmarks of Early Soviet Film comes out to about 37% off MSRP, Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno to 40% off, etc. Flicker Alley titles are hardly ever available at a decent discount anywhere, so this is a good time to stock up, assuming any of you have any money left after last week.

vsski

#524 Post by vsski » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Just ordered the Cinerama + Windjammer Combo and because I also ordered three other discs, I ended up getting the combo at over 33% off and the other titles at 20% off - it's the best Flicker Alley deal I have seen.
Now I better get to work so I can pay off my credit card - this week has been brutal on finances.

McCrutchy

#525 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:41 pm

vsski wrote:Just ordered the Cinerama + Windjammer Combo and because I also ordered three other discs, I ended up getting the combo at over 33% off and the other titles at 20% off - it's the best Flicker Alley deal I have seen.
Now I better get to work so I can pay off my credit card - this week has been brutal on finances.

Good catch. If I add TMDG/GTH and the pre-order of THE LATE MATHIAS PASCAL, I can get all four items for $92.79, which works out to under $23.20 per Blu-ray. Now VERY tempted...

EDIT: I did it, and I'm very happy about it, but the math is confusing:

TIC / WJ combo is $69.90, at 25% off, it comes to $52.49

TMDG / GTH is $27.96, at 10% off it comes to $25.16, and at 20% off comes to $22.36

TLMP is $29.70, at 10% off, it comes to $26.73, and at 20% off comes to $23.86

Now at those prices, the total would be $104.38 if the other two titles were discounted at 10%, or $98.71 if the other titles were discounted at 20%. Since my total was $92.79, I must be getting an extra discount of $5.92 somewhere, but that wouldn't be an additional 20% off of $69.90 (i.e. 45% off or $38.44) or 20% off of $52.49 (which would be $41.99), so yeah, confused...