Directed by Tony Richardson
Albert Finney, Joan Greenwood, Susannah York
2-disc Blu-ray release on 20 August 2018
From the legendary director and co-founder of Woodfall Films, Tony Richardson, comes the film that ushered in the Swinging Sixties. On 20 August 2018 the multi-Oscar winning Tom Jones will be released by the BFI as a standalone Blu-ray for the first time, with both the previously unavailable original theatrical cut and the director’s cut included.
Extras include interviews with Albert Finney and Vanessa Redgrave and more.
This release follows the film’s inclusion in the BFI Blu-ray and DVD box sets, Woodfall: A Revolution in British Cinema, released on 11 June 2018.
Winner of four Academy Awards including Best Director (Tony Richardson), this raucous and innovative adaptation of Henry Fielding’s classic novel is directed with a real sense of adventure. John Osborne captures the spirit of the literary source in his sophisticated screenplay and Albert Finney gives a dashing Oscar-nominated performance as the much sought-after Tom Jones, enjoying marvellous support from Joan Greenwood and Susannah York.
The BFI is proud to showcase new 4K digital restorations of not just the director’s cut of 1989 but of the previously unavailable original theatrical version, both of which were supervised by director of photography Walter Lassally.
• New 4K digital restorations of the original theatrical version of the film and the 1989 director’s cut
• The Guardian Interview: Albert Finney (1982, 35 mins, audio only)
• Vanessa Redgrave on Tony Richardson (2017, 10 mins): Vanessa Redgrave discusses Tony Richardson’s career in this short interview shot by The Criterion Collection
• The USSR Today: Meeting to Mark the 200th Anniversary of Henry Fielding’s Death (1954, 1 min)
• George Devine Memorial Play: Luther (Peter Whitehead, 1966, 7 mins)
• Walter Lassally on Tom Jones (2017, 25 mins): the Oscar-winning cinematographer discusses Tom Jones
• Stills galleries
• Original trailer
• Illustrated booklet with essays by Steven Hess, Dr Josephine Botting and Michael Brooke, along with full film credits
RRP: £22.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1317 / Cert 12
Director’s cut: UK / 1989 / 121 mins / colour / English language with optional hard-of- hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.66:1 / BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit)
Original theatrical cut: UK / 1963 / 128 mins / colour / English language with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.66:1 / BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM dual mono audio (48kHz/24-bit)
Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by the BFI and the films on them.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
- Location: Worthing
Full specs announced: