DC Comics on Film

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
Dr Amicus

Re: DC Comics on Film

#551 Post by Dr Amicus » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:25 pm

Went to see Aquaman last night, and it's definitely one of the best recent DC films. Knowingly silly at times but moves along at such a pace it's lack of much of a plot doesn't seem to matter. There's nothing quite as good as the No Man's Land sequence from Wonder Woman, but a set piece in Sicily comes close. We saw it in 3D, which is ok during the under water sequences but occasionally terrible onshore. On the whole a lot closer to the MCU films than what Zack Snyder seemed to want to go for, but also owes at least as much to Flash Gordon and epic fantasy.

ShempTCat

#552 Post by ShempTCat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:53 pm

We are in agreement about Aquaman being one of the best DCEU films, however I liked the Sicily sequence much better than Wonder Woman’s No Man’s Land scene. I also really enjoyed the Trench sequence with the Trench creatures swarming after Aquaman and Mera on the boat and then following them into the ocean.

While, Aquaman didn’t break any sort of new ground in superhero or action films,
SpoilerShow
Aquaman taking responsibility for the creation of Black Manta
was a relatively novel touch. As was the film’s conclusion,
SpoilerShow
as Ocean Master is being taken away for imprisonment, his older, victorious brother Aquaman opens the lines of communication and tells Ocean Master that when he’s ready the two of them should have a sit-down discussion.
To me it felt strangely optimistic for a superhero film. Traditionally, supervillains in these films are rarely, if ever, given a chance to become good.

knives

#553 Post by knives » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Sounds a bit like what MCU has done with Loki though.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#554 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 pm

knives wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:26 pm
Sounds a bit like what MCU has done with Loki though.
He'd always straddled good and bad, hadn't he? Moving back and forth at whim. I think only the first Avengers had him be fully bad from start to finish.

knives

#555 Post by knives » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:31 pm

That sounds about right. Though that was my introduction to him which might be the cause of viewing him as originally a bad guy without grey.

Finch

#556 Post by Finch » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:20 am

Went to see this only because my husband was keen on it: I liked the cast and to some extent the Sicily sequence but beyond that, I just felt a complete disconnect to what was going on. There is so much CGI that whenever there was a rare sight of a real location it almost felt jarring. This and most other films like it make me feel like, if what I'm looking at resembles a video game for the most part, I'd rather be playing it than looking at it passively. And the dialogue almost makes me weep in frustration at the fact that a script like this nets the writer hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions while scripts with more nuance go for a pittance by comparison. Next time I might just say to my other half, I'm sorry I can't sit through stuff like this anymore, I'll either stay home or go see another film instead (I might just have done it if Beale St had played at the same time!).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#557 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:47 am

In "I can't believe this is a real title" news, Margot Robbie is back in Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (no really, that's the title)

EDIT: Holy shit, Chris Messina with blonde hair

Big Ben

#558 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 am

They're chasing that Dr. Strangelove heat! Seriously though perhaps being free from David Ayer will make this film better. The original Suicide Squad is so poorly made that it contains Ed Wood level buffoonery. A character leaves in a huff at one point and then just shows up at the final confrontation without any context given as to why he's back and no one says anything about it. It's wild y'all.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#559 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:59 am

I mean, this looks like a music video for a total banger, so if it keeps that neon vibe I may be interested in seeing To Harley Quinn, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar

swo17

#560 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:01 am

Big Ben wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 am
They're chasing that Dr. Strangelove heat!
More like
SpoilerShow

captveg

#561 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 pm

I figured it was more obviously a play on Birdman's full title.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#562 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Works have been doing "or" titles forever, I doubt it has anything to do with it

black&huge

#563 Post by black&huge » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:17 pm

I finally watched Aquaman over the weekend. I can safely say it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen and not even comparing to other DC movies but blockbusters in general...
SpoilerShow
there's quite literally too much stuff in this movie. From all the undersea empires and creatures/races to overblown action and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull quality CGI. There was a new location introduced every 10 or 15 minutes and within that new characters or creatures or things like mechs that make it odd because it's not even that difficult too keep up with most of it but it's just too goddamn many things on screen. The fight scenes were so over-conceptualized. We get it. You want the faux one-take approach. When the camera follows the henchmen going through that apartment building during the Sicily fight what was the point? Oh yeah: "there's no cuts!" but that illusion barely lasts when it wore out its gimmick in the opening fight scene. By the end I had no idea where anything was coming from all of a sudden Aquaman and his brother are fighting on top of a giant ship in the water and I could be wrong but I think I saw mechanical tentacles and I have no idea where it was all originating. People say a movie is a mess for a wide variety of reasons this movie basically places every different type of dish on a tablecloth and doesn't even attempt to make a clean pull at it.

miless

#564 Post by miless » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:29 pm

black&huge wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:17 pm
this movie basically places every different type of dish on a tablecloth and doesn't even attempt to make a clean pull at it.
I just had to

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#565 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Idris Elba will replace Will Smith in the Suicide Squad sequel