TV of 2018

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Dr Amicus

Re: TV of 2018

#76 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:31 pm

The Bodyguard, which finished last night, has turned out to be one of the most popular drama serials in the UK for years - and has frequently made it to the front pages of the newspapers. Written by Jed Mercurio, who also wrote the excellent Line of Duty, it's a thriller about a former soldier (who HAS ISSUES) who is now a policeman and is assigned to be the bodyguard of the controversial home secretary. To say more would spoil the turns the narrative takes - some of which are rather more believable than others - which didn't stop the Radio Times having a massive spoiler (admittedly, only if you were on catch-up) as its front cover a couple of weeks back. Anyway, I gather it's been acquired by Netflix internationally and is highly recommended (even if at times you really have to suspend disbelief and accept generic conventions / clichés). The opening sequence of the first episode in particular is excellent and really tense...

thirtyframesasecond

#77 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:36 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:31 pm
The Bodyguard, which finished last night, has turned out to be one of the most popular drama serials in the UK for years - and has frequently made it to the front pages of the newspapers. Written by Jed Mercurio, who also wrote the excellent Line of Duty, it's a thriller about a former soldier (who HAS ISSUES) who is now a policeman and is assigned to be the bodyguard of the controversial home secretary. To say more would spoil the turns the narrative takes - some of which are rather more believable than others - which didn't stop the Radio Times having a massive spoiler (admittedly, only if you were on catch-up) as its front cover a couple of weeks back. Anyway, I gather it's been acquired by Netflix internationally and is highly recommended (even if at times you really have to suspend disbelief and accept generic conventions / clichés). The opening sequence of the first episode in particular is excellent and really tense...
Yeah avoiding spoilers was tough. I recorded the first five episodes and watched them in the few days before the final episode.

Line of Duty is on UK Netflix I think, so it might be the same for Netflix internationally if anyone wants a guide to how Bodyguard will play out.

Richard Madden is the title character (he was in Game of Thrones apparently - I remember him from the stupid movie in Paris with Idris Elba!) protecting Keeley Hawes, doing her best Amber Rudd/Theresa May combo.

The twists keep-a-comin', you never know who to trust, the plot has holes a mile wide, but you're chewing the hell out of your nails regardless.

Please keep it as a standalone series. Line of Duty at least reinvents itself each season. I don't see how this could.

Murdoch

#80 Post by Murdoch » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:18 pm

I'm ten minutes into Matthew Weiner's The Romanoffs and dear lord what is this narration describing every action of the characters and reading the subtitles? I don't think I'll make it through this...

MichaelB

#81 Post by MichaelB » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:36 am

Murdoch wrote:I'm ten minutes into Matthew Weiner's The Romanoffs and dear lord what is this narration describing every action of the characters and reading the subtitles? I don't think I'll make it through this...
Sounds like you’ve switched on the audio description channel by mistake.

Murdoch

#82 Post by Murdoch » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Oh wow that's it, my tech incompetence is on full display. Thanks!