Eclipse Series 44: Julien Duvivier in the Thirties

Discuss DVDs released in the Eclipse and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
david hare

Re: Eclipse Series 44: Julien Duvivier in the Thirties

#51 Post by david hare » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:22 pm

POST DELETED

soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts

Re: Eclipse Series 44: Julien Duvivier in the Thirties

#53 Post by soundchaser » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Just finished this set last night. What a treasure the whole thing is. There's a particular scene in Un Carnet de Bal that cements Duvivier in my mind as one of the great early sound directors.
SpoilerShow
The astonishing sequence in which Christine goes to visit Thierry, the abortion doctor, is shot almost entirely in shifting Dutch angles. I think there are three layers at work here. Not only does this technique externalize Thierry's mental instability and the queasiness of his abusive relationship, but it also illustrates what could be his future as a ship's doctor (I forgot for a second that it wasn't taking place on a ship, so omnipresent is the movement). And by the end of the scene, Thierry is stumbling around as if the room is moving diegetically.
It's a fantastic layering that takes a simple camera technique and explores it in several facets in the span of maybe ten minutes. I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like it before.