Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
movielocke

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#876 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:31 pm

I lament the lack of upgrades as much as anyone (they matter to me, because windowboxing drives me crazy on the old dvds), but 32 new releases in 6 months (spine 790 to 822 inclusive of empty box spine 813) is an incredibly impressive and unprecedented pace of releases.

and they haven't dropped the ball on their traditional bread and butter type of releases, rather the upgrades seem to have been displaced by the major studio films: Gilda, The Graduate, Manchurian Candidate, Only Angels Have Wings, Barcelona, In a Lonely Place, The Player, Dr. Strangelove, Here Comes Mr. Jordan.
That's 9 studio films, if each one displaced an upgrade off the schedule we'd be on pace for a typical year's upgrade slate.

and internally, I think criterion considers some new releases to be upgrades because they were also laserdisc titles. So they probably feel like they aren't getting credit for releasing an "upgrade(!)" of The Graduate, for example

atcolomb

#877 Post by atcolomb » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Minkin wrote:
tgthacker wrote:I was there for the presentation and can tell you it was definitely Dersu Uzala.
Wait what? How'd we miss this?

From what I've heard, the film has been in horrible shape (and I believe the Kino disc is OOP?), so this makes quite a bit of sense.
I have the Kino non 16:9 dvd and also the Criterion laserdisc of Dersu and both are in poor shape but better looking then the Ruscico dvd that had a horrible shimmering issue that made the movie unwatchable but some great extras on it. Hoping it would get restored and released by Kino or Criterion.

Minkin

#878 Post by Minkin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Here is your monthly speculation roundup.

Le Amiche - Completely out of the blue! Other than the phantom pages that appeared yesterday, there was zero speculation for this film; its never been on Hulu and there was not any confirmation anywhere. I assume its Janus owned, but here's the rare announcement which wasn't otherwise foreseen.

La Chienne - Only known from a somewhat recent Janus tour of the film. Wasn't otherwise speculated / confirmed, but it was at least known to be touring by Janus, so not a total surprise.

Here Comes Mr Jordan - Hinted at in the New Years Clue (saxophone boxer). Former laserdisc title + Sony, so it all makes sense.

Fantastic Planet - This has been hinted at for years - since the Laloux catalog was purchased by "someone" (from MK2) several years ago (thus, you should probably expect Gandahar + Masters of Time in the future). This particular film was hinted at in the New Years clue (this planet full of stars - despite us thinking it was Bling Ring or Ziggy Stardust).

clouds of Sils Maria - Hinted at in the New Years 2015 (so a year ago) clue. It was later confirmed by IFC's twitter representative. I assume director involvement is what held this up for so long (same can be said with many of their other IFC titles we've been expecting - Boyhood, Blue is Warmest Color redux, etc).

Dr Strangelove - New Years clue + newsletter clue (not too often we get New Years + month overlap). Former laserdisc title + Sony.
----------------------------------------------------------

I suspect the lack of upgrades must have some logic behind it (as they've been known to have months with 2+ upgrades). There's certainly no shortage of restorations out there that they can use. I assume one of either two scenarios - (1) the not too convincing desire to have upgrades match announcements between UK and US releases. (2) - as they recently said, they have more films to release than slots! It sounds like the UK deal has ratcheted up their Sony presence, then you throw in the recent crumbling of the WB wall, then the free-for-all assault on MGM + Fox catalogs by Kino (who seem to announce a new film everyday). Lest Criterion releases like 20 films a month, there's going to be a huge backlog, thus I guess the upgrades get put on hold for the time being, but who knows.

Very excited for all of the month's announcements. La Chienne is perhaps the standout, although I love Dr Strangelove. Despite other's nitpicking on whats likely more substantial extras than initially appears, I don't think there's much to complain about this month.

Peter McM

#879 Post by Peter McM » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:26 pm

I assume director involvement is what held this up for so long (same can be said with many of their other IFC titles we've been expecting - Boyhood, Blue is Warmest Color redux, etc).
Speaking of IFC titles--what is the possibility of seeing "The Notorious Bettie Page" from Criterion--although I'd be happy to see it on blu-ray from anyone right now.

Ashirg

#880 Post by Ashirg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:07 am

Very little chance since it's a Picturehouse/Warner and HBO title...

flyonthewall2983

#881 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:40 pm

How limited is the Warner deal?

chucktatum

#882 Post by chucktatum » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Ashirg wrote:Very little chance since it's a Picturehouse/Warner and HBO title...
Though Pan's Labyrinth was Picturehouse, and del Toro mentioned in interviews last year that they were working on a Criterion release.

flyonthewall2983

#883 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:29 pm

A Prairie Home Companion would make for a good release too.

Peter McM

#884 Post by Peter McM » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:06 am

Ashirg wrote:Very little chance since it's a Picturehouse/Warner and HBO title...
Of course it is. Should've checked my DVD label first to make sure.

Lowry_Sam

#885 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:54 pm

There was talk a while ago about Freaks being the Warner pre-code title that Criterion might be releasing. Anyone know anything about the new restoration? (ie. inclusion of lost footage, who's distributing it?)

JCox

#886 Post by JCox » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:35 am

I'm a member of the TIFF Bell Lightbox and they are planning to show a restored version of Jeanne Dieleman and Fists in the Pocket, both previous Criterion Titles, perhaps a blu-ray release isn't far behind?

http://tiff.net/spring2016-cinematheque/restored

Luke M

#887 Post by Luke M » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:32 pm

I've read about the restoration of Jeanne Dielman and am hoping for a quick release, but their track record on upgrades is disconcerting.

Emak-Bakia

#888 Post by Emak-Bakia » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:38 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:There was talk a while ago about Freaks being the Warner pre-code title that Criterion might be releasing. Anyone know anything about the new restoration? (ie. inclusion of lost footage, who's distributing it?)
I wouldn't take that theater's announcement as proof of a "new restoration." I imagine they're using that term rather loosely. They are, after all, also making a big deal of it being "in its original format." "Format," could refer to any number of characteristics, though they go on to explain in the details that they're referring to it being in the original 1.33:1 (they write "1:33," now THAT would be something) aspect ratio. Has there ever even been an issue with Freaks being shown in an incorrect aspect ratio?

Luke M

#889 Post by Luke M » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Any educated guesses on the likelihood of a release of The Lost Weekend? I just bought a new region free player and I'm itching to get the MoC release.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#890 Post by Drucker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:07 pm

The MOC release is superb and comes with the Wilder doc. Get it.

Luke M

#891 Post by Luke M » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Drucker wrote:The MOC release is superb and comes with the Wilder doc. Get it.
Thanks. I pulled the trigger on it.

JCox

#892 Post by JCox » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Was at the TIFF Bell Lightbox here in Toronto for the Richard Linklater event and he confirmed that both the Before Trilogy and Boyhood would come to Criterion. It's already on the list but wanted to pretty much get the confirmation on that.

bradass

#893 Post by bradass » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:25 pm

To appease those lamenting the lack of upgrades, a new edition of Carnival of Souls appears to be in the works.

omgkitty

#894 Post by omgkitty » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:23 pm

bradass wrote:To appease those lamenting the lack of upgrades, a new edition of Carnival of Souls appears to be in the works.
Was just about to post this. Glad they're doing more with Kinsella. Love his work.

Cinephrenic

#895 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:32 pm

Glad it was unused. Nice news though!

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#896 Post by Buttery Jeb » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:32 pm

JCox wrote:Was at the TIFF Bell Lightbox here in Toronto for the Richard Linklater event and he confirmed that both the Before Trilogy and Boyhood would come to Criterion. It's already on the list but wanted to pretty much get the confirmation on that.
Glad to hear confirmation on the Before Trilogy and Boyhood; but it is unfortunate that SubUrbia seems to have been backburnered, particularly after the many years Linklater tried to pressure Warners into licensing it out to Criterion.

ianthemovie

#897 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:05 am

Do we have any reason to hope that Criterion has the rights to Last Tango In Paris? I was reminded this week of how much I loathe MGM's bare-bones Blu-ray....

Minkin

#898 Post by Minkin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:17 pm

ianthemovie wrote:Do we have any reason to hope that Criterion has the rights to Last Tango In Paris? I was reminded this week of how much I loathe MGM's bare-bones Blu-ray....
Its an MGM film, that Criterion released on laserdisc and could stand to have a new transfer /supplements. I'd probably expect it sometime this year or 2017 (as part of their MGM re-release deal - just like Graduate/Machurian Candidate/etc).

Minkin

#899 Post by Minkin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:09 pm

Since our forum is mentioned in the article (as being male dominated -we're certainly guilty; and technically focused - which I'd say is far less true than most every other forum), perhaps some speculation on which films/filmmakers might be reasonably forthcoming.

Certainly Laurie Anderson’s Heart of a Dog as mentioned in the article.

Taking a very cursory glance through the forthcoming list, the following are other possibilities:

Emporte-Moi (1999)
Mikey and Nicky (1976)
Jacquot de Nantes (1991)
Cocktail Molotov (1980)
Riefenstahl's films

Ashirg

#900 Post by Ashirg » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:20 pm

Which reminds me when Cocktail Molotov (1980) and Cousin, cousine (1975) were listed in the printed catalogue next to each other as "coming soon".