BoJack Horseman

Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

Re: BoJack Horseman

#26 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:02 pm

For those very few of you who don't have Netflix, Comedy Central is going to start showing reruns in a few months.

Soothsayer

#27 Post by Soothsayer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:12 pm

The ending of season 3 has one of the best music cues I've ever seen put to a moving image. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Murdoch

#28 Post by Murdoch » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:17 pm

I enjoy the show when it focuses on BoJack's depression and self-destruction since I think the writing excels in those ruminations on personal failure and regret. But I also am baffled when I read praise of its comedy as I find it the most unfunny comedy series to receive critical acclaim in recent memory. Aaron Paul's character is just tiresome for me and every gag falls flat. Comedy of course is subjective but the show's humor makes up such a large part of the runtime that the parts I find compelling are weighed down heavily by the attempts at being a comedy.

flyonthewall2983

#29 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Even though there is comedic gold on the show that has nothing to do with him, I hear you on Aaron Paul's character. For maybe the first 2 or 3 seasons I felt like Todd was an important part of the story, even as things got more silly, but I grew tired of it by the 4th season.

I hesitate to say this as I've been pretty vocal here about my love for the show, but last year's season wasn't as good for me as what came before. I'm hopeful it can turn around this year though.

Boosmahn

#30 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:25 pm

flyonthewall2983

#31 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:58 pm

S5 is a marked improvement for me, I'm happy to say. I feel like they went the extra mile in terms of stretching the form of a half-hour animated comedy, in ways last year's season didn't. It's extremely prescient and also keeps things moving along story-wise, with decent character development throughout.