Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

Discuss films and filmmakers of the 20th century (and even a little of the 19th century). Threads may contain spoilers.
jlnight

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#701 Post by jlnight » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:24 am

Looking for Mr Goodbar, starts Sun 16th Sept, Paramount Network.

Ride Lonesome, Tues 18th Sept, Film4.

When the Pie Was Opened (Len Lye short), Wed 19th Sept, Talking Pictures.

Sword of Sherwood Forest, Fri 21st Sept, Film4.

And yes, The Chess Players should be the Satyajit Ray film.

colinr0380

#702 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Very little of note next week outside of the already noted rare screening of The Chess Players at 1.55 a.m. on Tuesday 18th, though there are a number of premieres: the British film set in the high tension, edge of your seat world of libraries and gardening This Beautiful Fantastic on BBC2 at 7.30 p.m. on Saturday 15th; after that thrillride it will be quite a relief to return to the comfortably mundane familiarity of Nazi zombies in Outpost III: Rise of the Spetsnaz at 11 p.m. on the Horror channel on Saturday 15th; and speaking of sequels that I had never realised existed until looking through the TV listings for next week, Film4 are showing the clunkily titled Mechanic: Resurrection at 9 p.m. on Thursday 20th.

Back to the radio then, with BBC Radio 4 scheduling a repeat airing of an adaptation of William Goldman's 1986 sequel to Marathon Man, Brothers at 3 p.m. on Sunday 16th

Also, since I forgot to mention it last week, BBC4 is repeating an hour long documentary about famous wrap artist Christo and Jeanne-Claude at 3 a.m. in the early hours of tomorrow morning. I caught it when it first screened on Sunday and it shows clips from a lot of films shot by Albert Maysles et al (from 1977's Running Fence up to 2007's The Gates) to get newcomers up to date on the artist which is tying in with the artist's first UK art piece, the London Mastaba. (That kind of makes the hour long piece seem like an extended advert for the Serpentine Gallery, who commissioned the project, as well, but I guess that is unavoidable!)

jlnight

#703 Post by jlnight » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 pm

The Southern Star, Wed 26th Sept, Talking Pictures.
Tale of Tales, Wed 26th Sept, Film4.

Experiment Perilous, Thu 27th Sept, BBC4. Preceded by Hollywood's Brightest Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story, which is probably the same as Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story.

The Two-Headed Spy, Fri 28th Sept, Talking Pictures.

According to online sources Looking for Mr Goodbar has never been released on DVD or blu-ray. It's been on the various BBC channels several times between 1984 and 2004 (I think I first saw it in 2000). It's got another screening on Paramount on Friday. That final sequence was still shocking.