Hong Kong Cinema

Discuss films and filmmakers of the 20th century (and even a little of the 19th century). Threads may contain spoilers.
moreorless

Re: Hong Kong Cinema

#201 Post by moreorless » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:52 am

Slaphappy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am
moreorless wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 am
I was never really exposed that much to laserdisc but what stood out with HK legends was the number of releases and the focus on their own brand(and expectations of certain extras) similar to criterion but with genre cinema. It wouldn't just me the case of "I want a copy of Eastern Condors, which is the best one?" but rather looking to what they released as an active recommendation.
I think Redemption was the first to create a brand like that in UK mid 90's. Edit. Manga Entertainment had a pretty strong brand and focus too and they started early 90's or so. Hong Kong Legends is my favorite company of the three for sure.
Yes your right with Manga although I spose I didn't think of it that way at the time because there was a period were they were pretty much all their was to anime in the UK(Lydon's now forgotten cash in single) were as there was some HK cinema before HK legends.

colinr0380

Re: Hong Kong Cinema

#202 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I would disagree about Manga Video being all there was to anime in the UK back in the day, as I have fond memories of Kiseki Films for releasing Macross: Do You Remember Love?, Fly Peek! Peek The Baby Whale (aka the earlier, better Free Willy!), Gunbuster and the boobtacular Plastic Little. They were perhaps the best anime company on VHS in the mid to late 90s. But there was also Western Connection (who released titles such as Devil Hunter Yoko and The Sensualist) and even Pioneer released a few titles (notably Armitage III in its four part series form before Kiefer Sutherland re-voiced one of the main characters in its condensed feature version, as well as the 1993 version of The Hakkenden, which I mostly love for its fantastic soundtrack!)

So while Manga Video were the biggest name in that industry there were others in the field. I doubt many of the videos would have turned up in stores but they were definitely available through mail order catalogues. In fact the first mail order video company I bought films from (the first being Akira naturally! Along with Macross: Do You Remember Love) was called MVM which itself has now turned into an anime distribution label in its own right!