Best Reissue -

AMARCORD

Best Commentary

RICHARD PENA/LATE SPRING

Best Single Supplement - Non-commentary

NEAPOLITAN DIARY/HANDS OVER THE CITY

Best Package Design - Includes packaging and menu screens

SIX MORAL TALES

Best Surprise - For a film which you knew little or nothing about before the CC release

SWEETIE

Forum Member of the Year - For the member who contributed best

DAVIDHARE

Dylan

#152 Post by Dylan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:24 am

When's the deadline? I still have to see a couple of the November releases before I can really feel comfortable submitting a top 5.

Galen Young

#153 Post by Galen Young » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:38 pm

Release of the Year:

1. Pandora's Box
2. Six Moral Tales
3. The Double Life of Veronique
4. The Virgin Spring
5. The Complete Mr. Arkadin

Best Reissue - Playtime
Best Commentary - Kerrigan/Soderbergh on Clean, Shaven
Best Single Supplement - Non-commentary - Lulu in Berlin
Best Package Design - The Double Life of Veronique
Best Surprise - Jigoku

Lemmy Caution

#154 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:35 pm

• Release of the Year
    Mr. Arkadin
    La Bête Humaine
    Elevator to the Gallows
    Viridiana
    Harlan County

Best Reissue
    Playtime

Most Disappointing Release
    Young Mr. Lincoln

Best Single Supplement - Non-commentary
    Mr. Arkadin/Confidential Report/alternate version

Best Package Design
    Spirit of the Beehive

Best Surprise
    Fists in the Pocket
    (runner up: Seduced and Abandoned)

Forum Member of the Year
    zedz

Cinesimilitude

#155 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:21 pm

Matt wrote:when voting for "Most Disappointing Release" you are not judging the quality of the film but for the quality of the DVD release as a whole (primarily the supplements, transfer, packaging).
I voted for Koko for exactly this reason. I love the film, the transfer is decent for it's age and the fact that it isn't perfect gives it a better feel and texture for a documentary from the 70's. but this disc needed either commentary by Penny talking about Koko's development since then, or an entirely new documentary on a 2nd disc that showed Koko's development since then. I realize this would most likely be impossible financially, as Koko was likely one of the worst selling criterions of 06, but I found myself wanting to know so much more about her.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#156 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:46 pm

I need to see Symbiopsychotaxiplasm before I can vote, and so does the rest of the board honestly

Jeff

#157 Post by Jeff » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:41 pm

Release of the Year
Six Moral Tales
The Complete Mr. Arkadin
Pandora's Box
Spirit of the Beehive
Young Mr. Lincoln

Best Reissue
Playtime

Sólo con tu pareja

Best Commentary
Rosenbaum/Naremore - The Complete Mr. Arkadin

Best Single Supplement
Tokyo-Ga on Late Spring

Best Package Design
The Double Life of Veronique

Best Surprise
À nos amours

Forum Member of the Year

Kristy. For posting only three times, for secretly working for Criterion, and for providing this sausage party with a tiny shot of estrogen.

Richard Cranium Award
Yilmaz Guney - the award should be renamed in his honor

Cinesimilitude

#158 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:35 pm

Jeff wrote:Richard Cranium Award
Yilmaz Guney - the award should be renamed in his honor
Cin-ex-ile of the Year?

jbeall

#159 Post by jbeall » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:18 pm

I'm relatively new to the boards, so forgive my naivete, but what has Yilmaz Guney done that drives people so crazy?

zedz

#160 Post by zedz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:24 pm

jbeall wrote:I'm relatively new to the boards, so forgive my naivete, but what has Yilmaz Guney done that drives people so crazy?
How much time have you got? There's nine pages of this!

jbeall

#161 Post by jbeall » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:29 pm

zedz wrote:
jbeall wrote:I'm relatively new to the boards, so forgive my naivete, but what has Yilmaz Guney done that drives people so crazy?
How much time have you got? There's nine pages of this!
Oh my god. :shock:

Sorry I asked.

Spunky714

#162 Post by Spunky714 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:32 pm

Release of the Year:

The Complete Mr. Arkadin
Elevator to the Gallows
Six Moral Tales
Pandora's Box
Dazed and Confused

Best Reissue: Playtime

Most Disappointing Release: Viridiana

Best Commentary: Elsaesser & Doane, Pandora's Box

Best Single Supplement - Mr. Arkadin, Orson Wells

Best Package Design - Dazed and Confused

Best Surprise - Equinox

Forum Member of the Year - Matt

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#163 Post by Tribe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:34 am

Is there a list of banned ex-members? It would be helpful to compare.

Tribe

Cinesimilitude

#164 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:50 am

I am tempted to revive the Yilmaz thread, and also saddened that my last request was not honored...

jt

#165 Post by jt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:03 am

Release of the Year:
1. Six Moral Tales
2. Late Spring
3. Pandora's Box
4. Seven Samurai
5. Dazed and Confused

Best Reissue - Seven Samurai

Most Disappointing Release - Jigoku (not because of the missing scene, because neither the film nor the minimal extras did anything for me at all)

Best Commentary - Seven Samurai (great idea, especially for long films. Preferable even to multiple commentaries with repetition and gaps)

Best Single Supplement - Tokyo-Ga (Late Spring)

Best Package Design - Dazed and Confused (not sure what to do with the poster though…)

Best Surprise - Yi Yi

Forum Member of the Year - Many. I've been reading (but not posting to) this forum for over a year now and it has become my number one film resource because of it's members. Thanks to davidhare, zedz, schreck, SncDthMnky, lino, michael, gregory, tribe, peerpee, denti, matt…etc… If I have to pick one, then Michael Kerpan for his endless knowledge on Japanese cinema. Cheers!

Nb. I don't suppose there's anywhere to vote for non-criterion? Half my list would have been made up of MoC titles if I'd been allowed...

jt

#166 Post by jt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:14 am

Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question but is there anywhere on the forum where we can vote for our not-exclusively criterion favourites of the year? It would be nice to give some props to second run and especially MoC for their great output this year. I'm also interested in hearing what some of the board members watch in addition to the more obvious choices.

Cinesimilitude

#167 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:11 am

davidhare wrote:Agree!

I for one simply want to vote for the Altman/Kevin Kline Commentary track on the fairly ordinary (PQ) New Line DVD as most moving commentary of the year.
so how should we do this? Region Awards? r1 and r2? or maybe r1 and all other regions in one?

Or should we go all in one and have loads of categories and exclude criterions from the ceremony?

suggestions for categories...

Best Overall (insert region) Release
Best Overall (insert language) Language Release
Best Transfer
Best Features
Best (insert different genres) Release
Best Commentary
Best Feature (non-commentary)
Best Easter Egg (maybe)
Best Box Set (must contain at least two films I.E King Kong extended not eligible)
Worst Transfer
Worst Release Overall

etc, etc...

jt

#168 Post by jt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:27 am

I'm all for filling in lists, especially as I use previous year's ones to see what people with similar taste to me are watching and find gems I might have missed.

I think the 'Criterion only' list is pretty well established now, so I'd say we have a choice of doing a similar one that simply excludes criterions or re-write our original lists, but be allowed to include any films we choose that were released this year..?

I would humbly suggest forgetting seperate region lists as that would probably be overkill and to those outside the US with multi-region players, regions are meaningless anyway.

GringoTex

#169 Post by GringoTex » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:33 am

jt wrote:Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question but is there anywhere on the forum where we can vote for our not-exclusively criterion favourites of the year? It would be nice to give some props to second run and especially MoC for their great output this year. I'm also interested in hearing what some of the board members watch in addition to the more obvious choices.
DVD Beaver does exactly this every year, and I'm thinking there's a large overlap between beaver's and this forum's participants.

jt

#170 Post by jt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:03 am

GringoTex wrote:DVD Beaver does exactly this every year, and I'm thinking there's a large overlap between beaver's and this forum's participants.
Yes, this is the best year-end list I've seen but the participation is kept to a few dozen pro reviewers in general i believe.
I suppose it would be cool to see what the tastes of a bunch of the individuals on this site think, as some of their tastes seem to more match my own than most of the beaver invitees.

Not trying to make more work for you Gringo, if I knew the first thing about web forums, I'd offer to collect votes for you but I'm afraid I'd be less than useful in this regard... :roll:

I appreciate I'm a mere baby on this site and hence, it's a bit rude of me to offer advice but I always enjoy these end of year lists for the purpose of surprising me and leading me to make purchases I wouldn't have thought of otherwise (e.g. Love (Szerelem) after a good showing on the beaver poll last year). Whereas the results of the CC-only list are likely to contain only films I already own.

I suppose after spending so much time on this site in the last year, I realise I care more about the recommendations of Michael Kerpan, davidhare, zedz, schreck, SncDthMnky, lino, michael, gregory, tribe, peerpee, denti, matt…etc than I do about the vast majority of pro critics.

GringoTex

#171 Post by GringoTex » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:02 am

domino harvey wrote:I need to see Symbiopsychotaxiplasm before I can vote, and so does the rest of the board honestly
If the requirement were that you have to see every single release before voting, there wouldn't be many voters.

Matt

#172 Post by Matt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:20 am

jt wrote:Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question but is there anywhere on the forum where we can vote for our not-exclusively criterion favourites of the year?
We used to have a Top Ten DVDs of 200X thread every year; people just submitted their top ten (annotated or not). Someone could start that thread.

Steven H

#173 Post by Steven H » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:02 pm

Release of the Year:
Pandora's Box
Spirit of the Beehive
Late Spring
Viridiana
Seven Samurai

Best Reissue - Seven Samurai

Best Commentary - Rosenbaum/Naremore on Arkadin

Best Single Supplement - Tokyo - Ga

Best Package Design - Double Life of Veronique

Forum Member of the Year - La Clé du Ciel for the Gance thread (lots of great posters this year, however)

Lemmy Caution

#174 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:52 pm

Matt wrote:
jt wrote:Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question but is there anywhere on the forum where we can vote for our not-exclusively criterion favourites of the year?
We used to have a Top Ten DVDs of 200X thread every year; people just submitted their top ten (annotated or not). Someone could start that thread.
That sounds interesting.
But probably should exclude Criterions which are given their own special (s)elections.

mezcla

#175 Post by mezcla » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:44 pm

I obviously don't own/haven't seen all of the new releases, but here's my input based on what I've got.

Release of the Year

The Spirit of the Beehive
Seven Samurai
Brazil
Viridiana

Participants select one choice for each of the following:

Best Reissue

Seven Samurai

Kicking and Screaming

Best Commentary

Best Single Supplement

Elevator to the Gallows' Documentary on the Soundtrack

Best Package Design - Includes packaging and menu screens

Seven Samurai

Best Surprise -

Brazil in anamorphic widescreen

ps. I need you to incorporate into this poll my love for the new packaging but my disappointment that there is a wacky c on every disc.