The Conformist and 1900

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Gordon

#51 Post by Gordon » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:05 pm

No specs for The Conformist yet?

Jeff

#52 Post by Jeff » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:08 am

Here is the final art for 1900. I just knew that deco poster was too good to be true.

Gordon

#53 Post by Gordon » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:24 am

It could have been worse. Frankly, I feel that the art-deco poster is slightly misleading.

Still no final specs for The Conformist?

Dylan

#54 Post by Dylan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:25 am

I like the "1900" cover art, and I do agree with Gordon; as cool as the art deco poster is, it is a little misleading.

I'm excited for this release, not in the least because I'm expecting a definitive transfer to blow me away with its restored colors. The film is, for me, a lot about colors (particularly the natural sunlight and shimmering maple of the opening two hours), and while the Italian DVD retains the color palette, the German DVD basically wipes it away. It's an interesting film, with some unforgettable scenes and images, and such a strange chapter in Bertolucci's career. With the supplemental material it should be a great package.

I do wish, however, that Paramount had included the American release cut with it.

I just popped in my copy of the Italian R2 of "1900" (in Italian, no subs). It had been a while since I watched this film, and holy Jesus I forgot how exciting the filmmaking is!

The colors on the Paramount DVD better be as beautifully rendered as these shots (taken from the Italian R2)

Still no details for "The Conformist," but here are the finals specs for "1900":

-Widescreen Version Enhanced for 16x9 TVs
-Dolby Digital: English Stereo, Restored Italian Mono, French Mono
-English Subtitles, English Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
-The Making of 1900: From Conception to Controversy (Multi-Part Documentary)

I'm very much looking forward to how this film will be received on its new DVD release.

AZAI

#55 Post by AZAI » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:07 am

no audiocommentary? what a shame. Also due to the importance of both films some scholarly imput would be very worthwhile...but I'm afraid only with film noir we can hope for that kind of extra's in major studio releases...

BTW I personally find the 1900 cover art pretty ugly, it looks rather cheap. The confomist is great though.

Lino

#56 Post by Lino » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:07 am

Audio commentary on a 5 hour movie?! Thanks, but no thanks. I'm sure that the multi-part documentary will cover all grounds anyway.

I think we must all be grateful that Paramount is releasing this with some kind of extras instead of just the movie presentation. Let's not forget that this is a foreign movie and the chances of a Special Edition are always scarce no matter who the director is or the importance of the film.

justeleblanc

#57 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:20 am

My assumption is that these films were personal favorites with some of the execs at paramount home video.

John Cope

#58 Post by John Cope » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:47 pm

I assume that the "multi-part documentary" on 1900 will not be the making of referred to earlier. That's too bad as I would love to see that. Maybe it'll turn up on YouTube.

FWIW, I agree with AZAI. I'm no fan of the cover art--it looks like the kind of re-release art you'd get on a bargain bin DVD. And Depardieu looks suspiciously up to no good, like it's National Lampoon's 1900 or something.

Oh, and maybe Gordon or Dylan can explain why they think the art deco image is misleading. I don't get that. I don't think it's particularly misleading. And, what's more, it's gorgeous. In that respect it's completely appropriate.

Dylan

#59 Post by Dylan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:18 pm

Well, I love the art deco poster and think it would make a terrific cover, but I simply think the final cover (which I like, despite the fact that I agree with you on Depardieu's face) will attract more people because of the more conventionally epic way they're presenting it (and because of DeNiro's face). But make no mistake, I'd prefer the art deco.

Cinephrenic

#60 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:58 pm

I don't see how the original Art Deco poster could possibly be misleading. Bourgeoisie and the proletariats nicely displayed.

Dylan

#61 Post by Dylan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:24 pm

I do wish they were using the art deco, I just feel I understand why they didn't. It is also important to note that rarely do DVDs of older epics use the original poster art for their covers.

By the way, a print of the art deco poster can be purchased at Movie Goods.

It would also make a good desktop.

AZAI

#62 Post by AZAI » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:00 pm

Audio commentary on a 5 hour movie?! Thanks, but no thanks.
nobody says it has to be 5 hours....a scene selected one is also a possibility (like Scorsese on the WB releases). But I must admit I forgot for a moment that the film it is indeed 5 hours. :roll:

Let's hope the Conformist has one though I think you'll agree with me on that...
like it's National Lampoon's 1900 or something.
:D =D>

I think the original poster is nice but it emphasises the latent PoMo nature of the film (which I think makes the film a failure in some respect, but is exactly why I like Bertolucci: a Mo in a PoMo world :lol: ) too much in it's pastiche-like quality.

Gigi M.

#63 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:09 pm

Specs for The Conformist:
DVD Features:
Region 1
Keep Case - Sensormatic
Widescreen - 16.9

Audio:
Dolby Digital Mono - English
Dolby Digital Mono - Italian
Dolby Digital Mono - French
Dolby Digital Mono - Spanish
Dolby Digital Mono - Brazilian Portuguese

Additional Release Material:

Featurettes - 1. THE RISE OF THE CONFORMIST: THE STORY, THE CAST
2. SHADOW AND LIGHT: FILMING THE CONFORMIST
3. THE CONFORMIST: BREAKING NEW GROUND

Gordon

#64 Post by Gordon » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:47 pm

Ah, excellent! Thanks, Gigi.

Dylan

#65 Post by Dylan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:47 pm

Awesome!

godardslave

#66 Post by godardslave » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:09 pm

I'm buying it just for the sensormatic keep case.

atcolomb

#67 Post by atcolomb » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:10 pm

I guess no audio commentary?....oh well!!.....

tavernier

#68 Post by tavernier » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:03 pm

godardslave wrote:I'm buying it just for the sensormatic keep case.
Bertolucci himself said, "Sensormatic or nothing!"

AZAI

#69 Post by AZAI » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:37 pm

mmmm.... slightly disappointed with this news........but I'll buy it anyway..

Jeff

#70 Post by Jeff » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:13 am

Official announcements for 1900 and The Conformist.

rohmerin

#71 Post by rohmerin » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:40 am

what did happen with the Spanish subtitles? ¡Mierda! I want it subtitled. Anyway, I'll import both of them because I can understand Italian without reading, but I can't understand why they say 1st that it's subtitled and not now.

about the Conformista "exteded version" any information more? what was cut? only for US audiences? I saw an awful English dubbed version on Spanish tv and it was horrible, but I could see at Cinemateque the Italian one on big screen, and it was almost a collective film buff orgasm.

Barmy

#72 Post by Barmy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:57 pm

I assume the extended version just refers to the inclusion of the cut "dance of the blind" scene, which adds very little to the film and is heavy-handed (even for Bernardo) in its symbolism. Still, it's nice to have.

That 1900 cover is godawful. The art deco cover would stand out in a crowded DVD shelf. That one won't. And it's hideous.

a.khan

#73 Post by a.khan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:42 pm

Barmy wrote: The art deco cover would stand out in a crowded DVD shelf. That one won't. And it's hideous.
That's why it will stand out. Those marketing kids know their ca-ca!

Barmy

#74 Post by Barmy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:48 pm

I'm just surprised they didn't use a pic from the De Niro/Depardieu nude scene.

TedW

#75 Post by TedW » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:03 pm

Just picked up The Conformist. Looks good (given its age) and the featurettes are interesting.