Tombstone (George P. Cosmatos, 1993)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Fletch F. Fletch

Tombstone (George P. Cosmatos, 1993)

#1 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:27 pm

I've always enjoyed this movie on a pulpy, B-movie level -- especially Val Kilmer's performance which is easily a career highlight as he steals every scene he's in. I also enjoy all the character actors running around in this movie: Powers Boothe (always liked him, so cool to see him pop up in Sin City), Michael Biehn, Stephen Lang, Sam Elliott, etc.

I ran across an interesting bit about the movie on the Hollywood Elsewhere site. Apparently, Kurt Russell did an interview with True West magazine and claims that he ghost-directed the movie!

Here's the Elsewhere blurb.

And here's (a pdf of) the actual interview.

Polybius

#2 Post by Polybius » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:22 am

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:especially Val Kilmer's performance which is easily a career highlight as he steals every scene he's in.
Agreed, and I can't stand him, normally.

I love Wyatt Earp films. I would honestly put this alongside, or at least somewhere in the vicinity of, My Darling Clementine, Gunfight at the OK Corral and Hour of the Gun.

hangthadj

#3 Post by hangthadj » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:02 am

For what it's worth Val Kilmer actuially showed up and held his own alongside Robert Downey Jr. in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as well, which shocked the hell outta me.

flyonthewall2983

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:26 pm

I thought he was excellent in The Salton Sea, but honestly I think Dennis Quaid did a better Doc Holiday in Wyatt Earp.