Sult / Hunger (Henning Carlsen, 1966)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Subbuteo

#1 Post by Subbuteo » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:28 pm

I've watched this film umpteen times now and it still continues to enthral me. I first saw this back in the early 80's on BBC television and thankfully I had the foresight to video the broadcast, its release last year on DVD was one of the year's highs. It�s a gem whose facets are uncountable.

The cinematography is just perfect where repetition and mutation constantly entwine. Per Oscarsson's performance is wonderful; he adopts minimum means but with maximum expression, and then there�s that fine fine score by Krzysztof Komeda; haunting yet caressing!
Oh and the love interest is the captivating Gunnel Lindblom whose performance encapsulates romance, sorrow and beauty all rolled into one.

Are any other members familiar with it or care to comment?

KJB2

#2 Post by KJB2 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:48 am

I'll second that. The book has long been a favorite of mine; one of the few that I'll pick up whenever I see it and just give to others that I think will appreciate it. So, when this came out last year I ordered it sight unseen and I was not disappointed. Carlson does a better job than I would have thought possible of translating the emotional highs and lows of the novel into visual terms without the use of exaggerated effects or histrionics. And yes, the score is fantastic. Another great justification for the purchase of my all-region player.

Subbuteo

#3 Post by Subbuteo » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:06 pm

Its nice to know there is another admirer of this fine film on the forum. :)

peerpee
not perpee

#4 Post by peerpee » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:34 pm

I reviewed SULT for DVDBeaver last year and I fell off my chair when Carlsen emailed to thank me for being so enthusiastic about it.

I believe it's getting a US release later this year.

Subbuteo

#5 Post by Subbuteo » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:13 pm

Indeed, it was your excellent review which put me on to its existence and allowed me to finally relinquish my scrappy vhs copy

kinjitsu

#6 Post by kinjitsu » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:41 pm

peerpee wrote:I reviewed SULT for DVDBeaver last year and I fell off my chair when Carlsen emailed to thank me for being so enthusiastic about it.

I believe it's getting a US release later this year.
Released today.

Dave Kehr's review in the NYTimes is not exactly as forthcoming as your review, so I doubt that he'll be receiving a thank you note from Mr. Carlsen.

Barmy

#7 Post by Barmy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:26 pm

I didn't care for this when I saw it a MoMA, but I had misread the title as Slut.