Kafka (Steven Soderbergh, 1991)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Zumpano

Kafka (Steven Soderbergh, 1991)

#1 Post by Zumpano » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:30 pm

From a Film Review interview found here.
He's also re-cutting Kafka, the 1991 movie met with critical apathy after the huge expectations that dogged him in the wake of sex, lies and videotape.

"While we were doing Ocean's, I went back in to re-organize it. It's a completely different film. There's new material - stuff that I shot that never made the movie is now in there. I'm doing it for my own interest - to see if I can make something out of it that I'm happier with. I think the goal, ultimately, is to put out a double DVD with the original and the new version."
This is the one Soderbergh film I have not seen. What company would end up putting this out?

neuro

#2 Post by neuro » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:07 pm

Hmm...Miramax was the U.S. distributor, but as far as the rights are concerned, I have no idea. The disc Soderbergh seems intent upon doesn't exactly sound like the type of thing Miramax would be interested in releasing on DVD. But I do know of one label who has had a working relationship with the filmmaker and is keen on releasing multiple cuts of the same film...

Fletch F. Fletch

#3 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:01 am

Zumpano wrote:From a Film Review interview found here.
He's also re-cutting Kafka, the 1991 movie met with critical apathy after the huge expectations that dogged him in the wake of sex, lies and videotape.

"While we were doing Ocean's, I went back in to re-organize it. It's a completely different film. There's new material - stuff that I shot that never made the movie is now in there. I'm doing it for my own interest - to see if I can make something out of it that I'm happier with. I think the goal, ultimately, is to put out a double DVD with the original and the new version."
This is great news! I have always found this to be one of Soderbergh's underrated movies with some really wonderful visuals, including beautiful black and white (and color) cinematography. I really dig the atmosphere of this movie. I, for one, can't wait for this one to come out on DVD!

Antoine Doinel

#4 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:21 pm

I'm a big fan of Kafka (I think the soundtrack is spectacular and yes, it's visually stunning) but in a recent interview with the Believer, Soderbergh calls it a failure and doesn't mention the aforementioned DVD.
BLVR: While we're on the subject of hate, what's the worst movie you've seen in the past few years?

SS: Can't say.

BLVR: Too many? Are you offended by bad movies?

SS: It's not that I'm offended, it just makes me sad. And there's a difference between failures and things that are bad. I'd like to think that I've made movies that were failures, creatively and otherwise.

BLVR: Which? Any you would take back?

SS: No, just ones I'd do differently. They were sincere attempts. I think Kafka was a failure. King of the Hill. The Underneath is a failure. I should have done that very differently. I've made movies since then that don't work for people—there are a lot of people that don't like Full Frontal, don't like Bubble. But I feel like I got what I was after with those films, I understood what I was trying to do. They succeeded on their own terms. But the earlier films, I just hadn't hit the next level yet.

jesus the mexican boi

#5 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:49 pm

He surely can be his own toughest critic. I /liked/ "Underneath," and wouldn't regard it as a "failure," and I think "King of the Hill" was very very good, if not exactly Soderberghian (whatever that means). He's an interesting filmmaker, and you will always be challenged by his films. "Bubble" was a successful experiment, IMO. I hope he continues to challenge and stray from the mainstream from time to time.

miless

#6 Post by miless » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:03 pm

jesus the mexican boi wrote:Soderberghian
i think therm should be "Soderbergher"

justeleblanc

#7 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:07 pm

neuro wrote:Hmm...Miramax was the U.S. distributor, but as far as the rights are concerned, I have no idea. The disc Soderbergh seems intent upon doesn't exactly sound like the type of thing Miramax would be interested in releasing on DVD. But I do know of one label who has had a working relationship with the filmmaker and is keen on releasing multiple cuts of the same film...
Fox Lorber?