Fox Noir Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
zedz

#101 Post by zedz » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:17 pm

zone_resident wrote:We can't be sure about it. Here is my experience:
I pre-ordered Boomerang from DDD in early May.
Its status switched to "backorder" in late May. Then, in mid-June
I received an e-mail from DDD saying that the title was being
discontinued and the order was cancelled.
I ordered the three latest releases (Boomerang, House of Strangers and I Wake Up Screaming)from DDD at the same time, and none of them have been sent out yet. When I innocently asked about the delay last week, they told me:
The items are now in stock, the items will be shipping within the next few business days.
But I'll believe it when I see it. I don't have a lot of faith in DDD knowing what they're talking about.

HerrSchreck

#102 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:50 am

Boy O Boy if BOOMER gets its rights-knot untied, all those dweebos who paid $10,006 on ebay for Borders-secured discs of this mediocre noir are going to slit their wrists.

(Mediocre noir dept: man o manechewitz if I WAKE UP SCREAMING's plot & mise en scene could match its mindblowing cinematoghraphy by Cronjager, the thing would require a nuclear warning-sticker)

viciousliar

#103 Post by viciousliar » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:18 am

Hello Graf, take a look at

this - for your personal entertainment.

I was lucky enough to secure the damned Boomerang disc for less than $30 off eBay the other day, but evil me still hopes it won't be released. :twisted:

Gregory

#104 Post by Gregory » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:14 pm

Most copies on eBay are getting $30 to $50. I can't figure out why the one (linked to on the previous page) that got over $200 went so differently.

souvenir

#105 Post by souvenir » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:13 am

Somebody should create a noir drinking game for every time "Over the Rainbow" is played in I Wake Up Screaming. Except for the constant repeating of that song and Victor Mature's crummy acting, it's a pretty good film.

Jeff

#106 Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:19 pm

In non-Boomerang news, the art and full specs are up for the August releases.

thethirdman

#107 Post by thethirdman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:22 pm

In more Boomerang news, a member at the Home Theater Forum reported on July 2, "According to a source who is associated with FOX the film noir BOOMERANG is expected to be released shortly. I was told there was a problem with the print and that is why the DVD was pulled right before it was set to be released. I managed to get one of the copies which somehow slipped out. I haven't watched the DVD as yet but in reading an advanced review of this DVD that person stated the print looked fine so I can't imagine what the problem was. In any case I am sure FOX will exchange any defective copies of this DVD if there are any problems."

I watched the dvd about two weeks ago and it played with any problems. I did not notice any glaring print damage.
Last edited by thethirdman on Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

alandau

#108 Post by alandau » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:19 pm

I don't know about that. I have been told by people in the know that the problem was the legal issue regarding the film and not a faulty DVD transfer. Moreover, I have been advised that the DVD is unlikely to be released in the near-future.

I have checked all online DVD sellers, and there is no listing for an imminent release.

thethirdman

#109 Post by thethirdman » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:39 pm

I agree, I never take anything from HTF very seriously, but I thought I would post it anyway.

alandau

#110 Post by alandau » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:41 am

It is obvious once you view the film, why there is such a legal issue. The close-up and framing of a certain individual insinuates guilt.

GringoTex

#111 Post by GringoTex » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:01 am

HerrSchreck wrote:Do NOT fail to pick up a copy of KISS OF DEATH. It would fall under the ex-post facto appellation "DOCU-NOIR", out of which I would say it is one of the finest examples.
I just saw this for the first time and WOW! It may fall under the category of "docu-noir," but it's one of the finest examples of "domestic melodrama" I've ever seen. The socio-political commentary is just seething beneath the surface.

HerrSchreck

#112 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:49 am

I couldn't possibly heap enough superlatives on KISS OF DEATH. Definitely one of the gems of a marvellous collection. I just worked a few weeks ago through I WAKE UP SCREAMING (wanna talk cinematography?) and HOUSE OF STRANGERS (seething domestic melodrama in spades)... be interested to see what those August releases do for me. I always dug Richard Basehart-- great sinister undertones to this dude, awesome in HE WALKED BY NIGHT & THE BLACK BOOK, for starters.

Multi-Region

#113 Post by Multi-Region » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:08 am

Vicki was in the latest run of 3.

The story is equal to/a remake of I Wake Up Screaming.

Why this in the Fox-Noir collection? There are so many not-released Noirs.
Last edited by Multi-Region on Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

HerrSchreck

#114 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:07 am

14 HOURS was a worthy addition to this clearly weaker lot (versus of course the primary Hathaway classics and masterpieces like NIGHTMARE ALLEY, etc). I enjoyed it quite a bit-- I always dug Basehart since seeing him back-to-back in the Mann-Alton masterworks HE WALKED BY NIGHT and THE BLACK BOOK. Very different role for him.

I need feedback actually on HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL (more Basehart). I also need to pick up NO WAY OUT with another well-known blond scumbag.

Multi-Region

#115 Post by Multi-Region » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:58 am

HerrSchreck wrote:14 HOURS was a worthy addition to this clearly weaker lot (versus of course the primary Hathaway classics and masterpieces like NIGHTMARE ALLEY, etc). I enjoyed it quite a bit-- I always dug Basehart since seeing him back-to-back in the Mann-Alton masterworks HE WALKED BY NIGHT and THE BLACK BOOK. Very different role for him.

I need feedback actually on HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL (more Basehart). I also need to pick up NO WAY OUT with another well-known blond scumbag.
NO WAY OUT is great: Linda Darnell en Richard Widmark, both with great performances.

alandau

#116 Post by alandau » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:19 am

Basehart is brilliant in HE WALKED BY NIGHT, one of my fave noirs. Unfortunately, House on T Hill is a nice emlodrama, but not much of a noir. Indeed, I found the whole concentration camp thing (even though it was too brief/commentary says alot cut) in the beginning. Would be the first Hollywood film to tackle the Holocaust (post-war), even though there may have been references in The Search (have not seen it) with Monty Clift.

HerrSchreck

#117 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:31 am

The scene in HE WALKED BY NIGHT where Basehart removes the bullet from under his armpit in his bathroom using a couple mirrors and a steam-sterilized home kit forceps & needle makes me cringe & wince like I'm being kicked in the nuts, time & time again. I watched it for the umpteenth time about a month ago and I suddenly grew aware of myself as that scene was drawing to a close and realized I was grimacing while gritting my teeth, my gut was clenched, and my hands were clawing the bed while holding my breath. When he actually drops the bloody slug in the little ceramic bowl, that little clink is so disconcerting... unbelieveable-- the power of good acting & suggestive directing; you never even see a wound in the dude's body. Just Baseharts face, sweating, grimacing, his trembling hands, and that awful tremoring breathing of controlled agony. Mann (anonymously, in this film) & Alton at their absolute finest.

souvenir

#118 Post by souvenir » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:02 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:14 HOURS was a worthy addition to this clearly weaker lot
I found this one to be a letdown and the least noir of any of the Fox series titles I've seen yet. The movie is mostly set in the bright daylight on a hotel ledge, for crying out loud. After watching this and Clash by Night, I've decided that I should steer clear of any other "noirs" with Paul Douglas because his acting style just does not fit the genre. I think Fox is misleading their consumers who are blindly watching these "Noir" titles based mostly on Fox's own labels.

jcelwin

#119 Post by jcelwin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:33 am

So, anyone got any more info on 'Boomerang'?

Gregory

#120 Post by Gregory » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:06 pm

I don't, and its unfortunate that that inside tip I passed on about Fox clearing up the problems with Boomerang's release has (so far) not turned out to be accurate.

Now I wonder when they're going to announce the next (last?) round.

Multi-Region

#121 Post by Multi-Region » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:07 pm

jcelwin wrote:So, anyone got any more info on 'Boomerang'?
Maybe, for the time being, this helps...NETFLIX :P

HerrSchreck

#122 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:03 am

They're nuts if they think folks are gonna send that sucker back after renting it. At least some folks.

I've never ever ever done the same thing with oop books at the NYPublic Library.

filmnoir1

#123 Post by filmnoir1 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:51 pm

Has anyone heard what films are going to be released in the next wave?

milk114

#124 Post by milk114 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:10 pm

So no word on a new wave I take it?

Gregory

#125 Post by Gregory » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:23 am

milk114 wrote:So no word on a new wave I take it?
No. I've had my ear to the ground for any kind of announcement, but not a peep.