51 Brazil

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
editman

#51 Post by editman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:37 pm

I wonder if the spine numbers of the 3 discs in the box set (with new logo on all cover art?) will be 351, 51.2 and 51.3?

And what about the unique CC logo animation in the original disc. Would they keep that in the anamorphic version but with the new logo?

Ooooo... the suspense... :P

headacheboy

#52 Post by headacheboy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:39 pm

I'm just thinking how kind it was for Criterion and amazon to dupe fools like myself into finally buying Brazil for $31 bucks a month or so ago. Lesson learned: stop buying non-anamorphic DVDs by Criterion. Oh well, it's not like I bought Metropolitan or something. :wink:

souvenir

#53 Post by souvenir » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:59 pm

you know, I did the same thing. I held off and held off until finally convincing myself that Criterion would not be releasing an anamorphic version anytime soon or would at least give fair warning of several months. However, that being said, I'm still glad the new edition is coming out.

hearthesilence

#54 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:04 pm

The only non-anamorphic Criterions I ever bought were movies that were available through the studio/production company's own DVD but OOP on Criterion, i.e. stuff Criterion probably couldn't license again.

Dead Ringers, Silence of the Lambs, Sid & Nancy, Robocop...probably a few more. I hope this is a new transfer, but seriously, they should make the 'extended cut' (or whatever it's called) available separately in addition to redoing it on the box set. Who wants to buy the crappy TV version again?

jorencain

#55 Post by jorencain » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:21 pm

hearthesilence wrote:they should make the 'extended cut' (or whatever it's called) available separately in addition to redoing it on the box set. Who wants to buy the crappy TV version again?
That's what they are doing.

Gigi M.

#56 Post by Gigi M. » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:43 am

So, it's spine 51 after all.

Gigi M.

#57 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:04 pm

Apparently the 1 disc edition is the only one coming

denti alligator

#58 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:15 pm

New commentary, too? Or is this sloppy writing?

Also, they must be replacing the disc in the box set too. It would be ridiculous to make new buyers purchase both the box set and the individual release.

miless

#59 Post by miless » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:06 pm

yes, the boxed set has gone out of print so that is most likely what they are doing.

kinjitsu

#60 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:28 pm

miless wrote:yes, the boxed set has gone out of print so that is most likely what they are doing.
The single-disc and three-disc set are both pending.

hammock

#61 Post by hammock » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:09 am

hearthesilence wrote:Who wants to buy the crappy TV version again?
Watching it with the commentary turned on was very valuable to me.

criterionsnob

#62 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:14 am

Any idea what the press release could mean by "digitally restored optical effects"?

Let's hope Gilliam isn't pulling a George Lucas.

arsonfilms

#63 Post by arsonfilms » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:19 am

Fortunately, optical effects are not the same as the special effects that George Lucas replaced in his "special edition" versions of his films. Although I wouldn't take a press release as gospel, optical effects are by nature pretty straightforward effects created by an optical printer, and restoration isn't the same as replacement. I'm guessing we can just look forward to a crisper, clearer title sequences.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#64 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:40 am

When they use the term Optical Effects, it refers to old school special effects (using models and such, before the age of computer generated effects.) The optical effects scenes on the Brazil DVD looked a little rough with more debris than other sequences in the films, so I'm assuming they're just cleaning up these sequences a little more thoroughly.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#65 Post by ola t » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:52 am

On one of the old incarnations of the forum, there was some discussion about a special feature on the Brazil laserdisc that Criterion apparently forgot to include on the DVD. Does anyone remember what it was -- an audio interview, or something? I just had the idea to suggest to their current Jon Mulvaneyoid that they include it on the new disc one / single disc, and then realized I had forgotten all the details.

arsonfilms

#66 Post by arsonfilms » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:57 am

I hate to argue about technical terms, but I think you're referring to practical special effects. The range of optical effects covers matte composites, chemical manipulation, an array of transitions, titles, etc. The optical printer (and by extention, optical effects) have largely been replaced by visual effects, which typically employ some form of digital manipulation to achieve the same goal. Although practical special effects become optical effects when combined with other footage, it isn't quite the same thing.

miless

#67 Post by miless » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:23 pm

Terry Gilliam would be the last person to pull a George Lucas. I have read and heard his remarks regarding the likes of Spielberg and Lucas changing their classic films. In Gilliam's mind a film is of a moment, and to change that would be to create a different film (Gilliam has said that he does now see problems in Brazil, but that he wouldn't change them for the world).

Gilliam isn't afraid to show some of the weaknesses of his films when Lucas does everything he can to hide them.

hearthesilence

#68 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:57 pm

So when Lucas revisited the Star Wars trilogy, he thought "these long shots look too good, I have to hide some of the beauty with CGI crap like fake-looking monsters acting all goofy and cloying."

miless

#69 Post by miless » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:57 pm

It is what Lucas thinks are mistakes, not what I think... and Lucas would not add effects if he didn't think they were necessary. Personally, I think they ruin the original films integrity (and I think most people agree with me)... it's just too bad that Lucas is so deluded that he thinks he's right (I mean he didn't even write or direct the last two of the original trilogy, and those two films are better for it)

Just as Gilliam might see problems with Brazil, I do not (I do think the film drags a bit here and there, but there is nothing that could be excised without irreparable damage to the coherency and beauty of the overall film)

hearthesilence

#70 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:52 pm

I was taking a shot at Lucas, not you, but yeah, I agree.

souvenir

#71 Post by souvenir » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 pm

This is officially up on the Criterion site now. Available in both one and three disc editions with the extras the same as the previous release I believe.

Gigi M.

#72 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:05 pm

I wonder if "The Love Conquer All" version will also be anamorphic. Does anyone knows?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#73 Post by cdnchris » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:36 pm

gigimonagas wrote:I wonder if "The Love Conquer All" version will also be anamorphic. Does anyone knows?
That version is only available Full Screen as far as I know since it was made for television. So I doubt it.

flyonthewall2983

#74 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:18 am

It doesn't say so on the Criterion website, but does anyone know if this new version will have the Michael Kamen interview from the original disc?

Matt

#75 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:56 pm

Dear Matt,

The transfer on the single disc release will be the new anamorphic one. We are releasing this single disc so as to enable people who already own the boxed set to make the upgrade without having to repurchase the entire set.

I hope this helps, and please feel free to contact us with any future questions or concerns.

Best,

Matt Lipson
The Criterion Collection