HVE: Rediscover Jacques Feyder

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
FilmFanSea

#1 Post by FilmFanSea » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:14 am

Coming from HVE October 24th:

Rediscovering Jacques Feyder 3-disc boxset. Price TBA. Contents:

Queen of Atlantis (Missing Husbands) / L'Atlantide (1920)
Crainquebille (Bill) (1922)
Faces of Children / Visages d'enfants (1925)

Blurb:
Until now, Jacques Feyder has been unjustly reduced almost to a footnote in film history, but these beautifully-restored editions with stunning tints and new orchestral scores reveal him as one of the finest silent film directors in Europe. Following these accomplishments, Feyder was invited to Hollywood in 1929 to direct two outstanding films with Greta Garbo, The Kiss and the German version of Anna Christie, and to London for Marlene Dietrich in Knight without Armour; he is probably best remembered for Carnival in Flanders (La Kermesse heroique, 1935), which, unfortunately, was cut by about one-third for American release.
  • Queen of Atlantis (L'Atlantide), based upon Pierre Benoit's best-selling exotic novel of the French foreign legion and the woman no man can resist, was filmed under grueling conditions on location in the Sahara and in a large tent studio outside of Algiers. The desert, with its burning sun and vast expanse of sand, is the real star of this adventure, the most expensive French film until that time. It was hailed as a revelation, and ran for a year in Paris.
  • Crainquebille is the name of a fruit and vegetable peddler (Maurice de Feraudy) who, accused of having insulted a policeman, becomes trapped in the bureaucratic web of French justice. He is sent to jail; after release, his bourgeois customers shun him, but at the point of suicide he is redeemed by an orphan newsboy (Jean Forest, an amazingly sensitive and expressive child found by Feyder on the streets of Montmartre). Feyder filmed on location around the market area of Les Halles and in some of the oldest areas of Paris. D. W. Griffith allegedly said of Crainquebille, "I have seen a film which, for me, precisely symbolizes Paris."
  • Faces of Children (Visages d'enfants), a masterpiece, was filmed on location in the Haut-Valais region of Switzerland, with spectacular mountain scenery adding important atmosphere to the characters' complex emotions. The film is about the effect on a sensitive boy (again Jean Forest, who is heartrending) of his mother's death and his father's remarriage.

These films were recently restored in a cooperative effort by the Netherlands Filmmuseum, the Cinematheque Francaise, the Cinematheque Royale de Belgique, the CNC Bois d'Arcy, Gosfilmofond of Moscow, and Lobster Films of Paris, which also prepared these editions.

peerpee
not perpee

#2 Post by peerpee » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:09 am

Blurb:
These films were recently restored in a cooperative effort by the Netherlands Filmmuseum, the Cinematheque Francaise, the Cinematheque Royale de Belgique, the CNC Bois d'Arcy, Gosfilmofond of Moscow, and Lobster Films of Paris, which also prepared these editions.
Sounds amazing, but if they were all mastered in PAL by Lobster, then the NTSC discs are going to be littered with standards conversion problems. :(

HerrSchreck

#3 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:34 am

FilmFanSea wrote:Coming from HVE October 24th:

Rediscovering Jacques Feyder 3-disc boxset. Price TBA. Contents:

Queen of Atlantis (Missing Husbands) / L'Atlantide (1920)
Crainquebille (Bill) (1922)
Faces of Children / Visages d'enfants (1925)

Blurb:
Until now, Jacques Feyder has been unjustly reduced almost to a footnote in film history, but these beautifully-restored editions with stunning tints and new orchestral scores reveal him as one of the finest silent film directors in Europe. Following these accomplishments, Feyder was invited to Hollywood in 1929 to direct two outstanding films with Greta Garbo, The Kiss and the German version of Anna Christie, and to London for Marlene Dietrich in Knight without Armour; he is probably best remembered for Carnival in Flanders (La Kermesse heroique, 1935), which, unfortunately, was cut by about one-third for American release.
  • Queen of Atlantis (L'Atlantide), based upon Pierre Benoit's best-selling exotic novel of the French foreign legion and the woman no man can resist, was filmed under grueling conditions on location in the Sahara and in a large tent studio outside of Algiers. The desert, with its burning sun and vast expanse of sand, is the real star of this adventure, the most expensive French film until that time. It was hailed as a revelation, and ran for a year in Paris.
  • Crainquebille is the name of a fruit and vegetable peddler (Maurice de Feraudy) who, accused of having insulted a policeman, becomes trapped in the bureaucratic web of French justice. He is sent to jail; after release, his bourgeois customers shun him, but at the point of suicide he is redeemed by an orphan newsboy (Jean Forest, an amazingly sensitive and expressive child found by Feyder on the streets of Montmartre). Feyder filmed on location around the market area of Les Halles and in some of the oldest areas of Paris. D. W. Griffith allegedly said of Crainquebille, "I have seen a film which, for me, precisely symbolizes Paris."
  • Faces of Children (Visages d'enfants), a masterpiece, was filmed on location in the Haut-Valais region of Switzerland, with spectacular mountain scenery adding important atmosphere to the characters' complex emotions. The film is about the effect on a sensitive boy (again Jean Forest, who is heartrending) of his mother's death and his father's remarriage.

HOLY SHVUCKANOLI! Is Image the only co on the globe presenting this stuff on home vid? Obviously the old HVe would preconvert, or at least do good enough treatment where artifacts would be barely detectable... Image however. Still great news.

Tommaso

#4 Post by Tommaso » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:57 am

"L'Atlantide" is available in France from mk2 in a nice box-set together with Pabst's 1932 sound version. Both films are in acceptable shape, though not in great. Feyder's version of "L'Atlantide" is a must see in my view, it bears some vague resemblances to Lang's "Spinnen" image-and stylewise. Pabst's version is less interesting, despite the wonderful Brigitte Helm in the title role. No subs whatsoever, however.

"Visages d'enfants" is also available in France and Germany from "arte edition". The German version probably has German subs, the French one none apparently (I have neither, as I recorded the film recently from TV). Another great silent not to be missed. I am less intrigued by "Crainquebille", too much of a realist social (melo-)drama for me, and much less convincing than, say, Murnau's "Der letzte Mann".

Try amazon.fr and amazon.de if you don't want to wait for the US versions or are - quite reasonably - afraid of conversion problems.

FilmFanSea

#5 Post by FilmFanSea » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:35 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:
FilmFanSea wrote:Coming from HVE October 24th:

Rediscovering Jacques Feyder 3-disc boxset. Price TBA.
HOLY SHVUCKANOLI! Is Image the only co on the globe presenting this stuff on home vid? Obviously the old HVe would preconvert, or at least do good enough treatment where artifacts would be barely detectable... Image however. Still great news.
I had a feeling the Feyder news would make your heart go pit-a-pat, Schreckie. What took you so long?

HerrSchreck

#6 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:45 pm

That's a good question.Must have missed it as during the week I don't look as closely at this board as on the weekends. Phew, that's a no brainer set.

Bloody awesome it is, preconverted PAL or no.

htdm

#7 Post by htdm » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:38 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:preconverted PAL or no.
That was my question, too. I haven't had any complaints with the HVE/Image titles that I own so far - I'm hoping they'll do these titles right. The MK2 release of L'Atlantide is gorgeous (same restoration) but it will be nice to have it with English subs.

What A Disgrace

#8 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:31 pm

If someone asked me which French silent film director would get treated to DVD in R1 this year, I would never, ever have guessed Feyder (Gance, L'Herbier or Feuillade would have been my first guesses). If you told me HVE was doing it, I would have laughed. If you told me they were releasing a box of three, I'd have punched you in the eye for making fun of me and the dreams I dare not dream. But there it is. Wow. Wow. All bets are off. I love you guys.

HerrSchreck

#9 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:08 am

What A Disgrace wrote:If someone asked me which French silent film director would get treated to DVD in R1 this year, I would never, ever have guessed Feyder (Gance, L'Herbier or Feuillade would have been my first guesses). If you told me HVE was doing it, I would have laughed. If you told me they were releasing a box of three, I'd have punched you in the eye for making fun of me and the dreams I dare not dream. But there it is. Wow. Wow. All bets are off. I love you guys.
Feulliade, with VAMPIRES & JUDEX in decent presentations in R1, isn't anywhere near the drought situation as Feyder. Crainquebille (Bill) & LAtalantide to a lesser degree were enormously influential.. how so many Swanson & Pickford melodramas get released but Feyder overlooked all these years was beyond me.

Matt

#10 Post by Matt » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:03 pm

If there remained any doubt that Image has taken over all aspects of HVe, including cover design, this should erase it:

I know I'm terribly shallow, but this just went from "must buy" to "might rent."

Cinesimilitude

#11 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:14 pm

seconded. that cover is tripe.

zedz

#12 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:22 pm

Two questions.

Is there really a huge sector of the marketplace that will only buy silent black-and-white films if the cover picture is colourized? What do they do, watch the movie with the gaudy box cover next to them to remind them what it would be like if it were in colour?

And is this box set really called "Rediscover Jacques Feyder", or it that the name of his fragrance?

HerrSchreck

#13 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:41 am

Fuck the cover-- I want the films. Let them stick midgets punching chocolate up each other's ass onthe cover... I fucking want FEYDER.

MUST BUY. Are you guys for real?-- how could you buy anything nowadays based on cover art? You'd have like 3 lousy films in your collection!

godardslave

#14 Post by godardslave » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:45 am

HerrSchreck wrote:Let them stick midgets punching chocolate up each other's ass onthe cover.
what a lovely thought that is.
now THAT would be a big seller. Especially in Utah. :shock:

Matango

#15 Post by Matango » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:18 am

zedz wrote:
Is there really a huge sector of the marketplace that will only buy silent black-and-white films if the cover picture is colourized?
I think they're probably hoping that there's a huge sector of the marketplace that will think the films are in colour.

HerrSchreck

#16 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:40 am

I love how they pre-suppose no-ones ever heard of Feyder (obviously not a wild supposition!), and express their fear it might sell ten copies globally via tagging it as a Cinematic Get Hip Order: Rediscover Jacques Feyder.

Translation: "Please don't let the few maniacs who actually know who this obscure bastard is be the only ones to buy this disc... please... PLEASE rediscover Jacques Feyder.. or.. (liptrembling).. or.. (eyes watering).. we'll lose money!"

Cinesimilitude

#17 Post by Cinesimilitude » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:02 am

HerrSchreck wrote:Fuck the cover-- I want the films. Let them stick midgets punching chocolate up each other's ass onthe cover... I fucking want FEYDER.

MUST BUY. Are you guys for real?-- how could you buy anything nowadays based on cover art? You'd have like 3 lousy films in your collection!
I guess I should have specified, I dislike the cover art, and have actually never seen any Feyder films. So the cover doesn't inspire me to pick them up, as other covers do. It's not something I'm going to go out of my way to acquire, when other films I'm extremely interested in (with beautiful presentation) are available.

godardslave

#18 Post by godardslave » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:09 am

SncDthMnky wrote:
HerrSchreck wrote:Fuck the cover-- I want the films. Let them stick midgets punching chocolate up each other's ass onthe cover... I fucking want FEYDER.

I guess I should have specified, I dislike the cover art, and have actually never seen any Feyder films. So the cover doesn't inspire me to pick them up, as other covers do. It's not something I'm going to go out of my way to acquire, when other films I'm extremely interested in (with beautiful presentation) are available.
Your reasoning still doesn't make much sense. Your basing whether you buy 3 classic silent films or not on how much you like the cover.
A cover is just a piece of paper.

thats just silly. #-o

Cinesimilitude

#19 Post by Cinesimilitude » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:18 am

Then sell the films to me, because the cover is ADVERTISING. It's supposed to make me believe I cant live without those films on my shelf.

No one with a massive collection of films can honestly say they look up reviews and user comments for every purchase, and have never factored the cover into their decision.

HerrSchreck

#20 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:26 am

What's strange is-- and I like you, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be combative-- the cover-art is seeming to override in importance your comrades here, & cinema history telling you who Feyder is/was. We are talking masterpieceville here. If they released RAGING BULL or MIDNIGHT COWBOY or APOCALYPSE or whatever in bad packaging (as they have done in spades), what the hell does it matter? Who cares if it's a horseapple on the cover at that point. Look at the Fox cover of SUNRISE-- one of the greatest single-disc releases ever. The picture of the two principals makes them look like a coupla Macy's window mannequins from the 50's.

That said I'm not going to wrangle you any further on this. You're perfectly entitled to purchase according to your own criteria. I just hate to see silent film sales potentially drop for reasons having nothing to do with the films, and everything to do with the boobhead graphic design bfa's who package up classics at distributors that are completely oblivious to the art of the products inside. The is standard procedure for classsics nowadays. A huge disconnect between the vintage masters and the 24 yr old grads who try and represent them via cover art.

I can honestly say cover art never once played any part in my purchasing of a film. Word of mouth, knowledge, and research do. Especially vintage films.

Cinesimilitude

#21 Post by Cinesimilitude » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:47 am

Well, let the facts be known, The only silent films I've seen are by the major known ones, Chaplin, Keaton, Dreyers Joan of Arc (which made me weep many times tonight as I rewatched it on TCM) Lang, and Murnau.

I've just turned 20, and I have been at this game for a very short time. There is SO much to take in, and I don't have unlimited funds. If these films are masterpieces, then I truly do want to see them, I wish I could see every film ever made, good and bad, but A lifetime will not afford me that. I can only relate it to something asked many times on this forum...
The question "which of his/her films should I see first?' is asked often. I'm doing that, just on the scale of all films ever made. I don't think I'm ready to appreciate most silent film right now, I'm working my way up to it.

I am also about to start college, and I'm taking film and english courses to expand my mind and vocabulary, so I cna be more articulate about this sort of thing. but that's that, I suppose.

Rufus T. Firefly

#22 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:45 am

Cover of the French DVD

Ironically, the HVe cover picture looks like a PAL to NTSC conversion of the R2 cover.

Personally I don't care much what covers look like, unless they are potentially embarrassing for an in-store purchase. The spine is the only thing I can see when they are on my shelves anyway.

Tommaso

#23 Post by Tommaso » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:47 am

Well, it's by no means unusual to advertise silent/b&w films with colour artwork. Just look at many original posters from the 20s: almost ALL in colour. And even these new colourized dvd covers carry a nice aesthetic of their own (Kino's Stiller covers are particularly nice in this respect). And then, even if you don't like the artwork, let yourself by no means be put off by them from buying the films: While "Crainquebille" is a little bit hard-going and pales in comparison to Murnau's "Last laugh" (to which it bears some oblique resemblances), "Queen of Atlantis" and "Faces of Children" are plain masterpieces. The former was remade by Pabst in the early 30s as a talkie, but Feyder's version is infinetely superior (and was indeed shot partly in the Arabian desert), the latter is one of the most subtle and engaging and so damn finely crafted French silents I ever got around to see.

peerpee
not perpee

#24 Post by peerpee » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:56 am

They're all fools for not using this:

Matango

#25 Post by Matango » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:05 am

Hmmm...more attractive than the HVE cover, but it looks a bit like a pack of French butter to me.