Tex Avery

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Max von Mayerling

Re: Tex Avery

#26 Post by Max von Mayerling » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 pm

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't even realize this thing existed. Just placed my order.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#27 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Has anyone successfully placed an order from Amazon France recently? Uncertainty about whether this would actually arrive is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Gregory

#28 Post by Gregory » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:41 pm

The part about some of the cartoons being censored (and others omitted from the set entirely) is keeping me from pulling any triggers. (Details in one of the Amazon reviews.)

Max von Mayerling

#29 Post by Max von Mayerling » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:25 am

Hmmn. Been reading various posts here & there re: Amazon France. I think I'll leave my order in place and see what happens. Hopefully I won't be getting a bill for $100 from UPS.

As for the edits, yeah, it's regrettable, but given how Warner is handling things these days, I doubt we'll see anything better any time soon. Many of the ones I'd most like to revisit sound unmolested.

knives

#30 Post by knives » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:32 am

The ones scattered around on US discs are uncut. You just need to know where to find them.

Forrest Taft

#31 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:55 am

swo17 wrote:Has anyone successfully placed an order from Amazon France recently? Uncertainty about whether this would actually arrive is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.
I placed an order last november, which arrived in less than a week. I'm in Europe though. I'm unfamiliar with these Amazon France problems, btw, so could you perhaps enlighten me? My Tex Avery Collection (man, I love typing that) is shipping soon, so I'll let people know if/when it arrives.
Edit: Max von Mayerlings mention of the bill from UPS reminds me I've heard of these Amazon France problems before...

Max von Mayerling

#32 Post by Max von Mayerling » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:39 am

From what I can tell reading about on the web, there are only 7 cartoons that have been edited - Droopy's Good Deed, Daredevil Droopy (both of which are on the R1 Droopy Theatrical Collection dvd that I already have in my greasy little mitts), Blitz Wolf, Henpecked Hoboes, Happy Go-Nutty, Garden Gopher, and Lucky Ducky. Based on swo's list posted in the 1940s thread, the last two of these are not available on dvd in R1, edited or not. (And, of course, the three that are missing from the French set - Cat's Meow, Half-Pint Pygmy, and Uncle Tom's Cabana - are not available on dvd in R1.)

So this means that the four dvd set will contain three edited cartoons that I could otherwise track down unedited in R1 versions. Meanwhile, if swo's list is correct, it appears that others, such as Red Hot Riding Hood, are not available in R1 (aside from on YouTube or whatever). So it seems worthwhile to me, assuming that amazon France will actually deliver the thing to me. We'll see how that goes.

Titus

#33 Post by Titus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:02 pm

I don't know if this is still the case, but I believe it was previously determined that the only way to basically make sure you get your order is to pay for the expedited shipping method.

Max von Mayerling

#34 Post by Max von Mayerling » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:53 pm

In case anyone cares, according to the tracking, my order has apparently made it across the Atlantic - in Secaucus, NJ on its way to Michigan. We'll see if it gets here (or if the carrier tries to hit me up for more $). The carrier is DHL. The set cost me 20.38 Euros and 10.90 Euros to ship. Which converted to $41.33. I picked the cheapest shipping option, but that didn't seem to be "standard" (my French is very weak).

Max von Mayerling

#35 Post by Max von Mayerling » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:58 pm

So it arrived (Friday, actually). No additional shipping charges (traveling from wherever, France to Ann Arbor, Michigan). When I made the purchase, I had two shipping options - I picked the cheapest one, "Rapide." So you can count me as someone who recently successfully placed an order with Amazon France.

I've watched a few - King Size Canary, Bad Luck Blackie, Little Rural Riding Hood. Looks good. Of course, I'd rather have these restored & on Blu Ray ... but I don't see that happening any time soon.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#36 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:42 pm

For those without the benefit of the French set...I had started a list in the 1940s list thread about the availability of Avery's MGM films from the '40s. Here's an update which adds a few I had originally missed, as well as his available work from the '50s:

2021 UPDATE - ALL FILMS AVAILABLE ON WARNER ARCHIVE BD VOLS. 1-3 DENOTED IN BLUE

Tex Avery's Droopy
Dumb Hounded (1943) / The Shooting of Dan McGoo (1945) / Wild and Woolfy (1945) / Northwest Hounded Police (1946) / Señor Droopy (1949)^ / Wags to Riches (1949)^ / Out-Foxed (1949) / The Chump Champ (1950) / Daredevil Droopy (1951)* / Droopy's Good Deed (1951)* / Droopy's Double Trouble (1951) / The Three Little Pups (1953) / Drag-a-Long Droopy (1954) / Homesteader Droopy (1954) / Dixieland Droopy (1954) / Deputy Droopy (1955)

^Also featured on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 2

The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection**
I'm Cold (1954) / Crazy Mixed-Up Pup (1954) / Sh-h-h-h-h-h (1955) / The Legend of Rockabye Point (1955)

Buried in Various WB Releases
Blitz Wolf (1942)*: extra on Keeper of the Flame; or, featured on WB's Academy Awards Animation Collection: 15 Winners, 26 Nominees and Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 2
The Early Bird Dood It! (1942): extra on Girl Crazy, in the Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland Collection
Red Hot Riding Hood (1943): featured on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 2
Who Killed Who? (1943): extra on Presenting Lily Mars
One Ham's Family (1943): extra on Best Foot Forward
Screwball Squirrel (1944): extra on The Thin Man Goes Home, in The Complete Thin Man Collection; or, featured on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 2
Batty Baseball (1944): extra on The Stratton Story
Happy-Go-Nutty (1944)*: extra on Dragon Seed, in the Katharine Hepburn Collection
The Screwy Truant (1945): extra on The Clock
Jerky Turkey (1945): extra on Anchors Aweigh BD
Swing Shift Cinderella (1945): extra on Without Love, in the Katharine Hepburn Collection; or, featured on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 2
Lonesome Lenny (1946): extra on Undercurrent, in the Katharine Hepburn Collection
The Hick Chick (1946): extra on Ziegfeld Follies
Henpecked Hoboes (1946)*: extra on Till the Clouds Roll By
Hound Hunters (1947): extra on Fiesta, in the Esther Williams Collection, Vol. 2
Red Hot Rangers (1947): extra on Tycoon
Slap Happy Lion (1947): extra on Song of the Thin Man, in The Complete Thin Man Collection
King-Size Canary (1947): extra on Command Decision; or, featured on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 2
What Price Fleadom (1948): extra on The Three Musketeers
Little 'Tinker (1948): extra on The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer
The Cat That Hated People (1948): extra on Words and Music
Bad Luck Blackie (1949): extra on Kitty Foyle; or, featured on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 2
The House of Tomorrow (1949): extra on Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
Doggone Tired (1949): extra on On the Town BD
Little Rural Riding Hood (1949): extra on Battleground
The Counterfeit Cat (1949): extra on East Side, West Side
Ventriloquist Cat (1950): extra on Three Little Words
The Cuckoo Clock (1950): extra on Summer Stock
Garden Gopher (1950)*: extra on Two Weeks with Love
The Peachy Cobbler (1950): extra on Nancy Goes to Rio
Symphony in Slang (1951): extra on An American in Paris; or, featured on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 2
Car of Tomorrow (1951): extra on Royal Wedding
Magical Maestro (1952): extra on The Belle of New York; or, featured on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 2
Rock-a-Bye Bear (1952): featured on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Vol. 2
Little Johnny Jet (1953): extra on The Naked Spur
T.V. of Tomorrow (1953): extra on Torch Song, in the Joan Crawford Collection, Vol. 2
Billy Boy (1954): extra on Executive Suite
Farm of Tomorrow (1954): extra on Deep in My Heart
The Flea Circus (1954): extra on Les Girls
Field and Scream (1955): extra on Hit the Deck
The First Bad Man (1955): extra on Kismet

Which should leave only these unavailable for now (save perhaps on YouTube or dodgy PD releases):

What's Buzzin' Buzzard? (1943) / Big Heel-Watha (1944) / Uncle Tom's Cabaña (1947)** / Half-Pint Pygmy (1948)** / Lucky Ducky (1948)* / Cock-a-Doodle Dog (1951) / One Cab's Family (1952) / Cellbound (1955) / Cat's Meow (1957)**

*Included on the French set in a censored version. It's my understanding that, where available in R1, these films are uncensored.
**Excluded from the French set entirely
Last edited by swo17 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:10 am, edited 6 times in total.

stroszeck

#37 Post by stroszeck » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:35 am

How the hell is Red Hot Riding Hood unavailable? Thats his masterpiece!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#38 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:02 am

I have to finally get this French set. Great guide, Swo - and frighteningly daunting

stroszeck

#39 Post by stroszeck » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:55 am

By the way, wasn't Warner's supposed to release the Censored 11 last year?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#40 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:58 am

I've edited my post to denote which films are censored or omitted in the French release.

ltfontaine

#41 Post by ltfontaine » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Blitz Wolf is also an extra on the Keeper of the Flame dvd from Warner. Jerky Turkey and Doggone Tired are both present on the cheapie Gumbasia Vol. 20, available in a Walmart aisle dump near you. Thanks for sharing this list, swo.

HerrSchreck

#42 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:14 pm

I have had the French set ( a gift years ago actually from a friend here) and can vouch for the fact that its plusses hugely outweigh its minuses. Toons are missing, some are sanitized, but to have such clean transfers from Tex's golden age at MGM (surely one of the most impressive and influential film canons in history, Tex was an artist of the first order with an originality on a par with any great from any era in any art form) is a delightful trove of treasure that provides a lifetime of reward. Few pieces of comedy are so good--short pieces, no less... VERY short pieces-- that they destroy you as completely today decades later as they did when you were five.

If there's a heaven Tex is probably winging paper clips from a taut rubberband at the back of Paul's bloated head. (which is actually how his eye got fucked up, was done to him on Termite Terrace if memory serves)

Titus

#43 Post by Titus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:30 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:I have had the French set ( a gift years ago actually from a friend here) and can vouch for the fact that its plusses hugely outweigh its minuses. Toons are missing, some are sanitized, but to have such clean transfers from Tex's golden age at MGM (surely one of the most impressive and influential film canons in history, Tex was an artist of the first order with an originality on a par with any great from any era in any art form) is a delightful trove of treasure that provides a lifetime of reward.
Yeah, I just got the set a few weeks ago and have only dipped into the first disc, but I've been surprised by how solid the transfers have been. Based on what I've seen, they seem to be a noticeable improvement in picture quality over the shorts that are tucked away as supplements on the various classic MGM DVDs -- though certainly not on the level of the Looney Tunes sets or anything.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#44 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Had no reason to expect the Screwball Classics Volume 1 Blu-ray release to have such excellent image quality - very excited for this one, the VHS equivalent was a fixture of my bedroom VCR when I was a youngin.

That said, not having stuff like Ventriloquist Cat or House of Tomorrow on it makes me extremely anxious for a Volume 2 - so if you like Avery's work, I hope you'll consider buying a copy even if you've largely moved on from the disc format, as I have.