Anti-Worlds

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
MichaelB

Re: Anti-Worlds

#26 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:42 am

They’re not on sale yet.

Finch

#27 Post by Finch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Chained for Life is on AV Club's Best of 2019 not officially reviewed list
Much of Aaron Schimberg’s small-scale showbiz satire plays like an indie version of Robert Altman’s The Player. But it’s in conversation, too, with Tod Browning’s Freaks, and the works of David Lynch, Alejandro Jodorowsky, and other filmmakers who toe the line between empathetic portrayals of disability and unadulterated exploitation. Under The Skin’s Adam Pearson, an actor with severe facial deformities caused by neurofibromatosis, plays Rosenthal, the second lead in a foreign director’s English-language debut, which also features many actors with disabilities in background parts. Although Rosenthal is treated well by his co-star, Mabel (Jess Weixler), he and the rest of the film-within-a-film’s disabled cast are subject to polite condescension through the veil of faux-woke politics. It’s a film about how the need for diversity can be exploited under the guise of good intentions. [Vikram Murthi]

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#28 Post by tenia » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Holiday's here too.

senseabove

#29 Post by senseabove » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:41 am

I'm happy to see riskier contemporary films get such dedicated, elaborate releases, even if I can't say any of these look like blind buys for me. Relaxer and Holiday are on Kanopy in the US, at least, so I will try to check them out just so I can justify supporting the sub-label if I like them.

I can only hope Anti-Worlds will pick up some past and future personal festival favorites that were somewhat awarded but for the most part ignored in English-language media and distribution, or at best relegated to DVD. On the off chance that MichaelB wants to pass on some suggestions, a handful that I think would be worth some love and, based on these three films' trailers, might be in the sub-label's wheel-house of recent, risky, stylized, button-pushing festival gems are:
Nicolette Krebitz's Wild (2016, no English-language distributor, afaik)
Handl Klaus's Tomcat (2017, US First Run and UK Matchbox Films DVDs only)
Olivier Masset-Depasse's Mothers' Instinct (a.k.a. Duelles) (no English-language distributor, afaik),
Lila Aviles' The Chambermaid (US DVD from Kino)