Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
EddieLarkin

Re: Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

#351 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:40 pm

senseabove wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:58 pm
And is this the first 4k release of a born-B&W, studio-era film (i.e. excluding the modern B&W de-colorizations like Mad Max)?
Yes. I believe the only other true B&W film on UHD is Schindler's List, though of course that isn't a studio era film nor is it completely B&W.

This won't be the oldest film on UHD for long though as The Wizard of Oz is coming around the same time.

senseabove

#352 Post by senseabove » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Then I'll be curious to hear folks who've claimed that B&W film can benefit from HDR as much/more than color chime in once it's out.

EddieLarkin

#353 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:39 pm

There's a good example of what is possible here.

andyli

#354 Post by andyli » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 am

senseabove wrote:
And is this the first 4k release of a born-B&W, studio-era film (i.e. excluding the modern B&W de-colorizations like Mad Max)?
Depending on how loosely you define 'studio-era', Gaumont's Les Tontons Flingueurs was released back in 2017, which is probably the first B&W classic film on 4K UHD.

senseabove

#355 Post by senseabove » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:39 pm
There's a good example of what is possible here.
Thanks! Now I'm going to spend my coffee time googling film stocks.
andyli wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 am
Depending on how loosely you define 'studio-era', Gaumont's Les Tontons Flingueurs was released back in 2017, which is probably the first B&W classic film on 4K UHD.
I'd think that qualifies for the purposes of the question, but sounds like that 4k disc doesn't use HDR, which is where the hypothetical benefit would be, if I've understood things correctly.

EddieLarkin

#356 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:47 pm

Yes, due to the diminishing returns one experiences with every doubling of resolution, watching a 4K transfer in 2160p is not going to be hugely different to watching it in 1080p (and possibly not at all from the more common viewing distances). Certainly not anything like the revelatory difference between 1080p and SD. This is why UHDs of 2K films are just as worthy as a 4K, because HDR is what makes the real difference.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre is available on a non-HDR 4K disc in Germany, but due to the excellent encoding of the 1080p Second Sight disc of the same 4K transfer, the consensus is that the latter is superior.

solaris72

#357 Post by solaris72 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:21 pm

senseabove wrote:
Just read through the description and this seems unusual: "The 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack includes the black-and-white film in 4K high definition, as well as a colorized version on Blu-ray, along with three special features new to 4K Blu-ray disc: "Restoring a Beloved Classic," "Secrets from the Vault," and "It's A Wonderful Wrap Party." A 2-Disc Blu-ray set will also be available that includes the newly remastered film in black-and-white, along with a colorized version and the three special features listed above."

So you can get the B&W 4K + Colorized BD, OR you can get the B&W BD + Colorized BD. But there's no "future proofing" option if you want the B&W BD now and the B&W 4k disc for later.

Not studio-era but Schindler's List was "born-B&W".

EDIT: Missed EddieLarkin's post above.