Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Kino Insider

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2076 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Coming September 17th!

Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) only on Blu-ray!
with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Michael Schlesinger
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 93 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated G
Armed with a wry sense of humor and a straight-shooting sidearm, James Garner (Duel at Diablo) fights for peace, justice and fun in this outrageous, irreverent and very funny farce co-starring Joan Hackett (Will Penny), Walter Brennan (Rio Bravo), Harry Morgan (The Ox-Bow Incident), Bruce Dern (The Cowboys), Gene Evans (The Bounty Man) and Jack Elam (Rawhide). On his way to Australia, frontier opportunist Jason McCullough (Garner) stumbles into a small gold-rush town and decides to earn a little extra pocket money by accepting a temporary assignment as their sheriff. Happily applying himself to his new position, McCullough manages to turn the town derelict (Elam) into his deputy, outsmart the dreaded Danby clan (led by Brennan), and fend off the lusty advances of the mayor’s daughter (Hackett)—all without breaking a sweat or dirtying his shiny black boots! Directed by western legend Burt Kennedy (Seven Men from Now), Support Your Local Sheriff is sheer entertainment from start to finish!

Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971) only on Blu-ray!
with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Michael Schlesinger
• Deleted Scenes – Newly Transferred in HD
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 91 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated G
Screen legend James Garner (Support Your Local Sheriff) is back in the saddle in Support Your Local Gunfighter, a powder keg of laughs co-starring Suzanne Pleshette, Jack Elam, Harry Morgan, Joan Blondell, Marie Windsor, Henry Jones, John Dehner, Dub Taylor, Gene Evans and Chuck Connors. Hustling gigolo Latigo Smith (Garner) arrives in a mining town for an operation, but while in town he overhears that the local mining baron Taylor Baton (Morgan) is looking to hire the notorious gunman Swifty Morgan to wipe out his competition. Seizing the opportunity for an easy con, Smith passes off a reprobate cowhand, Jug (Elam), as the dreaded Swifty… with bankroll in-hand, he plans to head for the hills at first opportunity. Complicating matters are Barton’s suspicious pistol-packin’ daughter, Patience (Pleshette), and the arrival of the real Swifty Morgan (Connors). Now, can Smith come up with a scheme to save Jug’s hide, stop the mining feud and win over Patience—or will he end up blowing up the entire town! Directed by western legend Burt Kennedy (Ride Lonesome).

The Bounty Man (1972 TV Movie) only on DVD!
• Interview with Director John Llewellyn Moxey

Color 73 Minutes 1.33:1 Not Rated
Screen and TV legend Clint Walker (Sam Whiskey and TV’s Cheyenne) is Kinkaid, a bounty hunter obsessed with tracking down the man responsible for his wife’s death. Kinkaid is rugged, hard-driving, militant and particularly determined to find outlaw Billy Riddle (John Ericson, Bad Day at Black Rock), a young killer with a high price on his head. Kinkaid traces Billy, takes him captive and starts the long trek to justice. However, this journey may lead him to dire consequences… a gang of cut-throats headed by Angus Keough (Richard Basehart, The Satan Bug) is pursuing them. The great John Llewellyn Moxey (The Night Stalker) directed this action-packed western co-starring Margot Kidder (The Reincarnation of Peter Proud), Gene Evans (Support Your Local Sheriff), Arthur Hunnicutt (The Spikes Gang) and iconic stuntman turned filmmaker Hal Needham (Gator).

The Daughters of Joshua Cabe (1972 TV Movie) only on DVD!

Lock Up Your Sons… Here Come The Daughters of Joshua Cabe! Joshua Cabe (Buddy Ebsen, TV’s The Beverly Hillbillies) had to get three daughters fast, but what he got was three fast daughters! Due to an unusual homesteading law, an aging cowboy in the old west needs his children to help him establish his claim on his property. With his real daughters unavailable, he recruits three young women with criminal backgrounds to pose as his daughters. Charity (Karen Valentine, TV’s Room 222) the career criminal, Mae (Lesley Ann Warren, Clue) the prostitute, and Ada (Sandra Dee, Gidget) the pickpocket are the “daughters” in this lusty, bawdy western-comedy. The stellar cast includes Jack Elam (Support Your Local Gunfighter), Don Stroud (Von Richthofen and Brown), Henry Jones (3:10 to Yuma), Leif Erickson (Strait-Jacket), Michael Anderson Jr. (The Sons of Katie Elder), Paul Koslo (Mr. Majestyk) and William Katt (Carrie).

The Trackers (1971 TV Movie) only on DVD!

Sam Paxton (Ernest Borgnine, Marty) is devastated when he returns home to his ranch to find his only son murdered and his daughter kidnapped by Army deserters. On a mission of revenge, Sam gathers a small posse and seeks the help of an old friend, a tracker, to help him locate his daughter. Ezekiel Smith (Sammy Davis Jr., A Man Called Adam), an experienced frontier scout with a will of his own, shows up instead of Sam’s friend. Despite Sam’s bigoted reluctance, “Zeke” joins his posse. And when the posse deserts Sam after learning that the kidnappers are not deserters, but renegade Indians, Sam is left to depend solely on Zeke to help him retrieve his daughter. Julie Adams (Man of the West), Norman Alden (The Devil’s Brigade), Jim Davis (The Cariboo Trail), Leo Gordon (Tobruk), Arthur Hunnicutt (The Bounty Man) and William Katt (The Daughters of Joshua Cabe) co-star in this action-packed western directed by Earl Bellamy (Jungle Jim).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2077 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 pm

KL announced they're releasing the complete miniseries Wild Palms on Blu-ray from a newly discovered film negative next year

Adam X

#2078 Post by Adam X » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:37 am

Interesting... If only I could remember what I'd thought of it. Glad it's the complete mini-series though - something to look forward to.

Kino Insider

#2079 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:11 pm

Once again, please check our Facebook and Twitter pages on Saturday and Sunday at 11:00AM for new announcements.

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStudioClassics/
https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2080 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:33 pm

KL will be releasing two Paul Bartel films: Not For Publication and Scenes From the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills

beamish14

#2081 Post by beamish14 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 pm
KL announced they're releasing the complete miniseries Wild Palms on Blu-ray from a newly discovered film negative next year

That's phenomenal news. I've been on the fence about buying MGM's DVD, so I'm glad I've waited. It's an incredibly underrated work, with each episode
being extremely well-directed, and it's got a mesmerizing Ryuichi Sakamoto score. I hope Bruce Wagner's original narrative illustration stories will come back in
print to coincide with this.

Ovader

#2082 Post by Ovader » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:26 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 pm
Hercules in the Haunted World! Finally!
I found out the Kino edition has been postponed to a later street date, as yet unspecified, because of added material such as offering three versions of the movie.

agnamaracs

#2083 Post by agnamaracs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:02 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:33 pm
KL will be releasing two Paul Bartel films: Not For Publication and Scenes From the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills
Ooh, setting the stage for a Bartel revival. VinSyn has Lust in the Dust, Criterion did Eating Raoul... maybe Shout will put Death Race 2000 back into print?

Kino Insider

#2084 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Coming September 24th!
4 Restored Classics Directed by Ida Lupino!

Not Wanted (1949)
• Brand New 4K Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Barbara Scharres, Director of Programming at Gene Siskel Film Center with Filmmaker/Historian Greg Ford
• Trailers

B&W 91 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
In Ida Lupino’s directorial debut Not Wanted, young and naive “unwed mother” Sally Forrest’s life spirals out of control after her musician beau (Leo Penn) ditches her for an out-of-town gig, despite the presence of another man (Keefe Brasselle) determined to win her heart. After leaving Warner Brothers, legendary screen actress Ida Lupino co-founded The Filmakers, an independent production company conceived as an alternative to the dominant aesthetics of Hollywood. With the low-key, intimate Not Wanted, Lupino tackled the “taboo” topic of out-of-wedlock pregnancy, immediately venturing into terrain where big-budget mainstream fantasy-spinners feared to tread. In many ways this extraordinary first directorial effort, while uncredited, already bears the stamp of Lupino’s unique vision: the remarkable empathy felt for the lead character (Sally Forrest as the dazed, traumatized young waitress thrust into the world of unwed motherhood), the hallucinatory moments (note the amazing subjective camerawork of the childbirth sequence), and the deft location shooting (as Forrest wanders through the bus stations and boarding houses of small-town America).

Never Fear (1949)
• Brand New 2K Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
• Trailers

B&W 81 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Carol Williams (Sally Forrest, Not Wanted) is a beautiful young dancer whose body, and promising career, is suddenly crippled by polio. Carol’s dance partner and fiancé, Guy Richards (Keefe Brasselle, A Place in the Sun), wants to see her through her illness, but the angry, self-pitying Carol prefers to go it alone. Her father (Herb Butterfield, Shield for Murder) takes her to the Kabat-Kaiser Institute for rehabilitation, where she meets fellow patients like Len Randall (Hugh O’Brian, Ambush Bay) on her tough road to recovery. The second feature directed by Ida Lupino (The Hitch-Hiker), who herself had been stricken with polio as an adolescent, Never Fear is a psychologically probing look at coping with chronic illness. Co-written and co-produced by Lupino and her partner Collier Young (The Bigamist) and wonderfully shot in black-and-white by Archie Stout (Fort Apache).

The Hitch-Hiker (1953)
• Brand New 2K Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Imogen Sara Smith
• Trailers

B&W 71 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Beyond its cultural significance as the only classic film noir directed by a woman (screen legend Ida Lupino), The Hitch-Hiker is perhaps better remembered as simply one of the most nightmarish motion pictures of the 1950s. Inspired by the true-life murder spree of Billy Cook, The Hitch-Hiker is the tension-laden saga of two men (Edmond O’Brien and Frank Lovejoy) on a camping trip who are held captive by a homicidal drifter (the great William Talman). He forces them, at gunpoint, to embark on a grim joyride across the Mexican desert. Renegade filmmaking at its finest, The Hitch-Hiker was independently produced, which allowed Lupino and ex-husband/producer Collier Young to work from a treatment by blacklisted writer Daniel Mainwaring, and tackle an incident that was too brutal for the major studios to even consider.

The Bigamist (1953)
• Brand New 4K Restoration from the Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Trailers

B&W 79 Minutes 1.66:1 Not Rated
The Bigamist is an amazingly sympathetic portrait of a figure historically given very short shrift: the title character is not only a two-timer—he’s a traveling salesman as well. But, as embodied by that perpetually pressured everyman of the 1950s, Edmond O’Brien, the bigamist comes across as a victim of his own sensitivity. Caught between two complementary spouses, O’Brien’s dazed indecisiveness dominates the narrative. As always in Ida Lupino’s directorial efforts, a strong social consciousness informs all choices: Joan Fontaine is an upper-crust “lady,” reverently attached to her dying father, while Lupino herself plays a tough-talking working woman, waitressing in a cheap Chinese restaurant. But no on-screen triangle could beat the one behind the camera—The Bigamist was produced and written by Collier Young, Lupino’s longtime collaborator and recently divorced husband, whose new wife was none other than Joan Fontaine. The wonderful cast includes Edmund Gwenn, Kenneth Tobey and Jane Darwell.

Ida Lupino: Filmmaker Collection (1949-1953) Limited Edition Boxed Set (BD ONLY)
• 4 Newly Restored Classics Directed by Ida Lupino
Ida Lupino: Auteuress by Ronnie Scheib (80 Page Booklet) Exclusive to the Boxed Set

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2085 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Nice to have the box option

L.A.

#2086 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:44 pm

That Lupino set is a must-have. Hopefully the discs are region-free. I’ll wager there are no other editions of those films coming so region-locking them seems a bit pointless.

What A Disgrace

#2087 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:47 pm

Day one purchase for me.

Gregory

#2088 Post by Gregory » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:17 pm

Is the heart of the 80-page booklet really just a ten or eleven-page Film Comment article that's been freely (and legally) available on the internet for a while?

Glowingwabbit

#2089 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Gregory wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:17 pm
Is the heart of the 80-page booklet really just a ten or eleven-page Film Comment article that's been freely (and legally) available on the internet for a while?
Given that these types of sets (I.e. a collection of individual releases) usually dont come with booklets I'm fine with that.

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#2090 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:38 pm

If it's anything like the Lang boxset, it'll be beautiful and certainly worth buying.

mteller

#2091 Post by mteller » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:48 am

Too bad Outrage isn't one of the titles, but very exciting regardless! I also applaud the female perspective commentary tracks.

Kino Insider

#2092 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:29 pm

mteller wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:48 am
Too bad Outrage isn't one of the titles, but very exciting regardless! I also applaud the female perspective commentary tracks.
Outrage and Beware, My Lovely are still under license to Olive Films, from Paramount. My boss had acquired them for the label when he was their head of acquisitions.

Kino Insider

#2093 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:42 pm

10/1 Wanted: Dead or Alive (1987) | Ffolkes (1989) | Storm of the Century (1999) DVD only | Death Dreams (1991) DVD only | Trilogy of Terror II (1996) 10/8 Nightmare Beach (1988) | Baby Blood (1990) | My Boyfriend's Back (1993) | The Monster (1994) 10/15 And Soon the Darkness (1970) | Sudden Terror (Eyewitness) (1970) | The Mind Benders (1963) | Queen of Spades (1949) 10/22 Parasite (1982) 3-D | Zoltan... Hound of Dracula (Dracula's Dog) 1977) | Phobia (1980) 10/29 Nightmare in Badham County (1976) | Kundun (1997) | New York Stories (1989)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#2094 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Great news for Queen of Spades Look forward to some interesting supplements

Kino Insider

#2095 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:31 pm

Coming Soon!
Brand New 4K Master!

Crossed Swords (1977) aka The Prince and the Pauper
Starring Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, Charlton Heston, Mark Lester, Ernest Borgnine, George C. Scott, Rex Harrison, David Hemmings, Harry Andrews, Lalla Ward, Sybill Danning and Graham Stark – Shot by Jack Cardiff (Black Narcissus) – Music by Maurice Jarre (Doctor Zhivago) – Based on a Novel by Mark Twain (The Adventures of Tom Sawyer) – Screenplay by Berta Dominguez D. (The Light at the Edge of the World) and Pierre Spengler (Producer of Superman) – Final Screenplay by George MacDonald Fraser (The Three Musketeers) – Directed by Richard Fleischer (The Vikings).

Blutarsky

#2096 Post by Blutarsky » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:48 am

I just checked the Kino site and Bob Le Flambeur ceases to be found under any search engine. Is there a shake-up going on with the release? Or is it a site malfunction?

Edit: More than likely a site malfunction from my end.

Roscoe

#2097 Post by Roscoe » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:01 am

Very excited for QUEEN OF SPADES and KUNDUN. Immediate day of release purchases.

FrauBlucher

Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2098 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:46 am

Beaver....Bob le Flambeur...it looks spectacular.... hands rubbing together

Glowingwabbit

#2099 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:38 am

Blutarsky wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:48 am
I just checked the Kino site and Bob Le Flambeur ceases to be found under any search engine. Is there a shake-up going on with the release? Or is it a site malfunction?

I had this same issue yesterday. I was only able to get to it via googling the title along with Kino. But I had no problems adding it to my cart once I did.

Der Spieler

#2100 Post by Der Spieler » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:10 pm

Blutarsky wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:48 am

Léon Morin, Priest isn't available from Amazon Canada either. Well it is but only from third parties and you have to search the precise ASIN if you want to find the right edition.