Passages

Discuss films and filmmakers of the 20th century (and even a little of the 19th century). Threads may contain spoilers.
MichaelB

Re: Passages

#7801 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:35 am

Cinematographer-turned-director Jerzy Wójcik.

He was never exactly a household name, and his directorial efforts are pretty much unknown outside Poland, but he had an extraordinary run at the turn of the 1960s, shooting masterpiece after masterpiece: Eroica, Ashes and Diamonds, Cross of Valour, Mother Joan of the Angels - and thankfully lived long enough to supervise their restoration a few years ago.

MichaelB

#7802 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:40 am

Leading Georgian director Georgy Danelia, probably best known for Mimino (1977), Autumn Marathon (1979) and Kin-dza-dza! (1986). I've seen the first two, and have especially fond memories of Autumn Marathon, a wistful comedy about a man whose pathological niceness and inability to say no has trapped him in all manner of awkward situations, not least juggling a wife and a mistress - if Alan Bennett had scripted Billy Liar and for some reason had it translated into Georgian, it might have turned out a bit like this.

colinr0380

#7803 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:49 am

Kin-dza-dza! is excellent (ignore the epic soundtrack in that modernised trailer!), sort of a comedy Stalker crossed with The Bed Sitting Room! I see that Danelia's last film was an animated remake of it in 2013 called Ku! Kin-dza-dza!

Ku being the most common word on the other world!

Kirkinson

#7804 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm

Danelia was wonderful. Autumn Marathon and Kin-Dza-Dza! are undoubtedly his best works of the ones I've seen, but his first feature, Seryozha (co-directed with Igor Talankin), and Don't Grieve, his only film actually set entirely (or even primarily) in Georgia, are also quite good. I'm still hopeful I'll be able to find subtitles some day for some of his other films.

Also please forgive me just a short digression to clarify that Autumn Marathon is in Russian, as were almost all of Danelia's films. He spent most of his life in Moscow and made most of his films for Mosfilm. I recall reading a fascinating late interview with him (which I fear I have very little chance of finding, as I read it Google-translated from Russian) where he talked a bit about not really fitting in anywhere since the end of the USSR. He had very few personal connections left in Georgia by that point, and felt like a stranger when he visited Tbilisi. On the other hand, though most of his family and friends and life were in Moscow, the sociopolitical tide there was turning against Georgians and other non-Russians. He recounted one anecdote of a woman approaching him and some of his friends in a restaurant, and assuming they were all Georgian (even though only he was) began ranting at them to get out of Russia and go back to their own country.

The interviewer asked him at some point about an old film reference book that referred to him as a "Soviet director," and whether he would prefer it updated to say "Russian" or "Georgian." He responded that he would prefer to keep it exactly as it was: his films were made in the Soviet Union and they were about the Soviet Union, and that was the most appropriate label.

Kirkinson

#7805 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:16 pm

I just realized there are more English-subtitled Danelia films on Mosfilm's YouTube channel than I realized. Seryozha, Afonya, Walking the Streets of Moscow, Mimino, and the older SD uploads of Kin-Dza-Dza! and Autumn Marathon (but sadly not the newer HD versions) are all English-friendly.

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#7806 Post by DarkImbecile » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:16 am

Barry Malkin, Francis Ford Coppola’s longtime editor

j99

#7807 Post by j99 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:46 am

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:35 am
Cinematographer-turned-director Jerzy Wójcik.

He was never exactly a household name, and his directorial efforts are pretty much unknown outside Poland, but he had an extraordinary run at the turn of the 1960s, shooting masterpiece after masterpiece: Eroica, Ashes and Diamonds, Cross of Valour, Mother Joan of the Angels - and thankfully lived long enough to supervise their restoration a few years ago.
Ashes and Diamonds and Mother Joan Of The Angels are two of my favourite ever films. RIP to him.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#7808 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:12 pm

Seymour Cassel discussion moved here

Colpeper
I Am the Glueman

#7809 Post by Colpeper » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:19 am

Sandy Ratcliff, memorable in her screen debut, Ken Loach's Family Life (1971), she never seemed to have such a good role again, despite being known to millions via Eastenders in the mid-1980s.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#7810 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#7811 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Never Cursed wrote:Gene Wolfe
A very interesting writer. Like Nabokov, he liked to play tricks with narrative voice and weave complicated puzzles into his stories. For all its flaws, The Book of the New Sun is an impressive work.

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#7812 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Feego

#7813 Post by Feego » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Calvin

#7814 Post by Calvin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 pm