Artificial Eye: The Aki Kaurismäki Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Caligula
Carthago delenda est

Artificial Eye: The Aki Kaurismäki Collection

#1 Post by Caligula » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:56 am

Aki Kaurismaki Collection coming October 9th

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#2 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am

Caligula wrote:Aki Kaurismaki Collection coming October 9th
Any ideas as to what will be included?

MichaelB

Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#3 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:20 am

Ten discs is enough for a complete survey (since most Kaurismäki films are well under 90 mins and some nearer 70), although when Artificial Eye attempted a four-volume DVD overview a decade or so ago they left out I Hired A Contract Killer.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Contents:

DISC 1
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
CALAMARI UNION

DISC 2
SHADOWS IN PARADISE
DRIFTING CLOUDS
OO AINA IHMINEN (short film)

DISC 3
HAMLET GOES BUSINESS
LA VIE BOHEME

DISC 4
ARIEL
MATCH FACTORY GIRL
VALIMO

DISC 5
LENINGRAD COWBOYS
LENINGRAD COWBOYS GO AMERICA

DISC 6
TOTAL BALALAIKA SHOW
THESE BOOTS (short film)
THOSE WERE THE DAYS (short film)
THRU THE WIRE (short film)
ROCKY IV (short film)
RICH LITTLE BITCH (short film)
DOGS HAVE NO HELL (short film)

DISC 7
TAKE CARE OF YOU SCARF, TATJANA
JUHA

DISC 8
THE MAN WITHOUT A PAST
LIGHTS IN THE DUSK

DISC 9
LE HAVRE

DISC 10
THE OTHER SIDE OF HOPE

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:56 pm

If I'm not very much mistaken, the Kaurismäki box is damn near complete aside from I Hired a Contract Killer - presumably problematic rightswise as a UK co-production.

But we're not missing much: I enjoyed what Kaurismäki did to my native north London, but it's easily one of his weakest films.

Kauno

#6 Post by Kauno » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:18 am

domino harvey wrote:Contents:VALIMO
Valimo is also a short film - only 4 mins.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#7 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:58 am

MichaelB wrote:If I'm not very much mistaken, the Kaurismäki box is damn near complete aside from I Hired a Contract Killer - presumably problematic rightswise as a UK co-production.

But we're not missing much: I enjoyed what Kaurismäki did to my native north London, but it's easily one of his weakest films.
I can't see Guimarães the part of the portuguese portfolio film Centro Historico shared with Pedro Costa Victor Erice and Manoel De Oliveira

The Fanciful Norwegian

#8 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:I can't see Guimarães the part of the portuguese portfolio film Centro Historico shared with Pedro Costa Victor Erice and Manoel De Oliveira
Late reply here, but: It may just be that the rightsholder won't license it out separately. The Costa segment (Sweet Exorcist) doesn't seem to have been released separately, even though it would've been a natural fit on the Blu/DVD releases of Horse Money. (Costa made the short while shooting the feature, and it's mainly a variation of the climactic elevator scene.) In the U.S., at least, the whole omnibus is available digitally through iTunes and Amazon Video.

Ogre Kovacs

#9 Post by Ogre Kovacs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:44 pm

I recently purchased The Aki Kaurismäki Collection blu ray and watched Calamari Union today. I noticed that there were no opening titles on the screen. The disc subtitles would appear (for example "Villealfa Films Presents" or "Written and Directed by") to translate non existent words. Anyone else have the set and seeing similar things? I cannot believe it is a specific disc error, but have not found any reviews commenting on this. Thanks.

Adam X

#10 Post by Adam X » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:21 am

I don't remember from seeing the film a few years back, but YouTube has two different versions. Likely they used a clean version and no one noticed the absence.
With titles
Without

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Artificial Eye: The Aki Kaurismäki Collection

#11 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:06 am

Is anyone able to comment on how the transfers in this set compare to the Criterion discs for La vie de bohème, Le Havre, and The Other Side of Hope? In other words, is there a reason to keep the Criterion editions other than the extras?

JSC

#12 Post by JSC » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:21 am

Is anyone able to comment on how the transfers in this set compare to the Criterion discs for La vie de bohème, Le Havre, and The Other Side of Hope? In other words, is there a reason to keep the Criterion editions other than the extras?
I'd say the transfers are almost identical, plus you pretty much get his whole filmography into the bargain.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:59 am

They're pretty much guaranteed to be the same source masters, supplied directly by Kaurismäki's company and presumably personally approved by the man himself.

ryannichols7

#14 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:46 am

does anyone know if this is out of print? copies seem to have dried up everywhere. naturally right as Kaurismaki is having his moment in the spotlight again

rapta

#15 Post by rapta » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:33 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:46 am
does anyone know if this is out of print? copies seem to have dried up everywhere. naturally right as Kaurismaki is having his moment in the spotlight again
Unfortunately it seems so, unless they reprint it (as they did for the Atom Egoyan set recently). I was lucky enough to get a copy from HMV a few months ago, and when it arrived it was a shop-spoiled copy haphazardly re-wrapped in plastic wrap. I complained, intending to return it and re-order it, but noticed it was 'Out of stock' indefinitely and it has now changed to 'Sold out', so I wisely hung onto it regardless (and they refunded a few quid as an apology).

Going to assume that means it's gone, at least for the time being! I would say 'surely they'd reprint', but this is Curzon we're talking about. Was just moaning about them on another forum about clinging onto rights to Haneke and Denis titles without any Blu-ray releases...

Their recent trend has been to release an overpriced box set with the most awkward timing, and at least a third of the discs are badly encoded (they've been hit and miss on that front for years though).