Grasshopper Film

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Aunt Peg

Re: Grasshopper Film

#76 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:20 am

Have Nocturama on pre-order, replacing my French DVD of the film. Really wish Grasshopper would get around to releasing Lav Diaz's From What Is Before on Blu Ray.

Oedipax

#77 Post by Oedipax » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Got my copy of Nocturama in the mail today - a nice surprise since the order page stated it would ship on the release date.

Boosmahn

#78 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Any information on Last Men in Aleppo? A Blu-ray was scheduled to be released but it seems the film is DVD-only now...

GrasshopperFilm

#79 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:47 pm

Yes, we had originally planned on a blu-ray for LAST MEN IN ALEPPO. But based on early demand, decided to only release the film on DVD.
Boosmahn wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:14 pm
Any information on Last Men in Aleppo? A Blu-ray was scheduled to be released but it seems the film is DVD-only now...

Boosmahn

#80 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:20 am

Thanks for the reply.

In other news, Grasshopper has acquired Asako I and II (one film, not two) for a 2019 release. Its reception seems lukewarm but the plot is interesting... hopefully a Blu-ray/DVD release makes it somewhere down the pipeline.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#81 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach coming to Blu-ray November 20th

Oedipax

#82 Post by Oedipax » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:46 pm
Bravo!

That's good news about Asako I & II, although I have to say I found it to be a pretty substantial step down from the utterly sublime Happy Hour. Speaking of which, I'd love to see Grasshopper release that one on blu-ray although maybe KimStim controls those rights (and have opted for DVD-only).

Aunt Peg

#83 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:29 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:20 am
Thanks for the reply.

In other news, Grasshopper has acquired Asako I and II (one film, not two) for a 2019 release. Its reception seems lukewarm but the plot is interesting... hopefully a Blu-ray/DVD release makes it somewhere down the pipeline.
Regretfully it deserved it reception at Cannes. The film started out so promisingly but in the last act the film pretty much drops the ball.

feckless boy

#84 Post by feckless boy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:51 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:46 pm
Pushed back to January 29th.
Grasshopper wrote:Straub-Huillet / 1968 / 94 minutes / Spine #17
Using letters Anna Magdalena Bach wrote to her husband, seminal composer Johann Sebastian, filmmakers Jean-Marie Straub and Danièle Huillet created one of the most precise, rewarding biopics ever put to screen. Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach‘s intense emotional pull can be understood by its status as a musical film in the most thorough sense: its performances – staged as extended sequences set within the very spaces once occupied by Bach himself, with trained performers both donning and playing items accurate to the period – are immense, bringing us closer to the sound than was ever thought possible. Immaculately restored on the occasion of its 50th anniversary, Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach invites viewers to experience a bygone age.

DVD AVAILABLE 1/29/19 | SPECIAL FEATURES

• New digital restoration
• Jean-Marie Straub introduces Chronicle at the Swiss Film Archive (2013, 34 minutes)
• Interview with actress Christiane Lang Drewanz (2012, 30 minutes)
• “The Cinema of Straub & Huillet,” an introduction by author Alicia Malone for FilmStruck (5 minutes)
• The Bridegroom, The Actress, and The Pimp (1968, 23 minutes), a short film by Jean-Marie Straub and Danièle Huillet featuring Rainer Werner Fassbinder
• The Mother (2011, 20 minutes), a short film by Jean-Marie Straub
• Theatrical Trailer