Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
jlnight

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#701 Post by jlnight » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:24 am

Looking for Mr Goodbar, starts Sun 16th Sept, Paramount Network.

Ride Lonesome, Tues 18th Sept, Film4.

When the Pie Was Opened (Len Lye short), Wed 19th Sept, Talking Pictures.

Sword of Sherwood Forest, Fri 21st Sept, Film4.

And yes, The Chess Players should be the Satyajit Ray film.

colinr0380

#702 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Very little of note next week outside of the already noted rare screening of The Chess Players at 1.55 a.m. on Tuesday 18th, though there are a number of premieres: the British film set in the high tension, edge of your seat world of libraries and gardening This Beautiful Fantastic on BBC2 at 7.30 p.m. on Saturday 15th; after that thrillride it will be quite a relief to return to the comfortably mundane familiarity of Nazi zombies in Outpost III: Rise of the Spetsnaz at 11 p.m. on the Horror channel on Saturday 15th; and speaking of sequels that I had never realised existed until looking through the TV listings for next week, Film4 are showing the clunkily titled Mechanic: Resurrection at 9 p.m. on Thursday 20th.

Back to the radio then, with BBC Radio 4 scheduling a repeat airing of an adaptation of William Goldman's 1986 sequel to Marathon Man, Brothers at 3 p.m. on Sunday 16th

Also, since I forgot to mention it last week, BBC4 is repeating an hour long documentary about famous wrap artist Christo and Jeanne-Claude at 3 a.m. in the early hours of tomorrow morning. I caught it when it first screened on Sunday and it shows clips from a lot of films shot by Albert Maysles et al (from 1977's Running Fence up to 2007's The Gates) to get newcomers up to date on the artist which is tying in with the artist's first UK art piece, the London Mastaba. (That kind of makes the hour long piece seem like an extended advert for the Serpentine Gallery, who commissioned the project, as well, but I guess that is unavoidable!)

jlnight

#703 Post by jlnight » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 pm

The Southern Star, Wed 26th Sept, Talking Pictures.
Tale of Tales, Wed 26th Sept, Film4.

Experiment Perilous, Thu 27th Sept, BBC4. Preceded by Hollywood's Brightest Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story, which is probably the same as Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story.

The Two-Headed Spy, Fri 28th Sept, Talking Pictures.

According to online sources Looking for Mr Goodbar has never been released on DVD or blu-ray. It's been on the various BBC channels several times between 1984 and 2004 (I think I first saw it in 2000). It's got another screening on Paramount on Friday. That final sequence was still shocking.

colinr0380

#704 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:48 pm

As jlnight notes, Tale of Tales (11 p.m. Wednesday 26th on Film4) and Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (9 p.m. Thursday 27th on BBC4, with Experiment Perilous at 10.25 p.m.) are the most exciting films of next week, but in terms of other things now that BBC4 has finished airing The Plague, they have the first two (of six) parts of the Australian TV adaptation of Mystery Road from 9 p.m. on Saturday 22nd. This looks to be a spin-off series from the 2013 film of the same name, especially given that Aaron Pedersen is in the same starring role. (Apparently in between the 2013 film and this TV series there was also a 2016 film Goldstone, as well. Hopefully that may turn up on BBC4 at some point also)

At the same time at 9 p.m. over on Channel 4, there is the premiere of Gods of Egypt. I love most of Alex Proyas's films but have not yet worked up the nerve to see this one after the scathing reviews! And also on Saturday on BBC2 at 11 p.m. is the premiere of the documentary on Sergei Polunin, Dancer.

Plus at the exact same time, 9 p.m. on Saturday 22nd, the Horror channel are showing Dead Mine, which has me a bit interested in its premise, although I don't know if that is only because after playing a week of Shadow of the Tomb Raider that anything Tomb Raider-y looks interesting right now! It is the second film by Steven Sheil who directed that rather disturbingly grubby 2008 torture porrn film about people driven crazy by low flying aircraft Mum & Dad (no relation to the recent Nicolas Cage starring Mom and Dad, though they would probably make for an intriguing double bill!), but probably more notable is that Dead Mine stars Miki Mizuno, who starred in Sion Sono's Guilty of Romance and was also in Naomi Kawase's Sweet Bean!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mistakaninja

#705 Post by mistakaninja » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Mystery Road is the same character as the surprisingly good films. It is set between them though, i.e. after Mystery Road but before Goldstone.

colinr0380

#706 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 pm

That is good to know mistakaninja! Hopefully it will bode well for that film appearing after the TV series is aired (the 2013 film did get repeated a couple of weeks back on BBC2, presumably in preparation for the series, but Goldstone has not had an airing as yet)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#707 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:05 pm

I saw the last ten minutes of Gods of Egypt while waiting for something to start on HBO and I could not believe how bad the CGI was. Like, Lawnmower Man-era graphics, but with no excuse!

colinr0380

#708 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:24 pm

I really liked a film like Immortals a few years back, which did the whole over the top CGI thing taking on Greek myth but Gods of Egypt does look rather strange even compared to that. It also unfortunately is probably best remembered at the moment as the film where Proyas had a few choice words to say about film critics complaining about the film's lack of diversity.

For completeness Film4 are also showing Skin Trade at 10.50 p.m. on Tuesday 25th. Aside from Dolph Lundgren sharing top billing with Tony Jaa and the Thailand setting, thus adding a slightly more modern (i.e. mid-2000s) twist to the proceedings, everything else about this film from the trailer looks as if it could have come straight out of the early 90s action film template. But it does have Ron Perlman as a baddie (doing a Russian accent), Peter Weller and Cary Hiroyuki-Togawa (who I will always associate with his role in Rising Sun!) in the supporting cast, so it may be worth a look just for that!

thirtyframesasecond

#709 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:08 am

I liked I, Robot AND Knowing but wouldn't go within an inch of Gods of Egypt.

thirtyframesasecond

#710 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:10 am

jlnight wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 pm
Tale of Tales, Wed 26th Sept, Film4.
You won't believe how disappointed I just was when I went to the Sky Planner, thinking "Wow, Yuri Norstein on Film Four!"

jlnight

#711 Post by jlnight » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:20 am

A Private Function, late Sun 30th Sept, Film4. (Turns up on London Live a lot but strangely in afternoon slots!)

The Swimmer, Mon 1st Oct, Talking Pictures. Also on Sun 7th Oct.

See No Evil (Blind Terror), Tues 2nd Oct, Talking Pictures. Also on Sat 6th Oct. Alternatively...
Brakes, Tues 2nd Oct, Film4.

Dr Crippen, Weds 3rd Oct, London Live.
The Running Man (Carol Reed), Weds 3rd Oct, Talking Pictures. Also on Sat 6th Oct.

The Frightened City, Thu 4th Oct, London Live.
Mulholland Drive, Thu 4th Oct, London Live.

You Must be Joking, Fri 5th Oct, Talking Pictures.

Jazz Boat, Sat 6th Oct, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 8th Oct.

colinr0380

#712 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Whilst writing the recent post on Beyond The Black Rainbow, I have just found out that the lead actress of that film, Eva Bourne, has appeared in quite a few of the Hallmark Channel's "Garage Sale Mystery" TV movie series in recent years (as the daughter of Lori Loughlin's lead character), one of which is showing on Channel 5 on Wednesday afternoon at 2.15 p.m.!

colinr0380

#713 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Nice to see The Swimmer getting an airing, even if it is on Talking Pictures which I still cannot get (though my neighbour, with a BT subscription package, was rhapsodising about it to me a couple of days ago, so word has spread beyond film forums!). I treasure the US Blu-ray from Grindhouse, which amongst other extras has a great interview with Joan Rivers on it!

It is also nice to see A Private Function get a rare terrestrial TV screening too. I think the last time it was on Channel 4 was back during the Handmade/Michael Palin season in 1996? That makes me wonder whether some of the less successful films such as Water and Privates On Parade have been screened since then. Or the Michael Palin starring The Missionary (the title being a double entendre about the practice and the position!), which is probably the one most worthy of a boutique label release.

Here is the trailer for Brakes, also mentioned by jlnight, showing on Film4 at 11.15 p.m. on Tuesday 2nd. It looks to be another Mighty Boosh-alumni spin off production featuring Julian Barratt and Noel Fielding amongst the main cast (like Aaaaaaaah!, though this is from another first time director), though it is nice to see Kerry Fox in the supporting cast as well.

The other big film of next week is the premiere of the David O. Russell film Joy on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Thursday 4th October. But also tucked away on the Sony Movie Channel is the second Paul Schrader/Nicolas Cage film following Dying of the Light, Dog Eat Dog at 10.50 p.m.on Tuesday 2nd.

Lots of Lifetime movies on Channel 5 during the afternoons too as usual, but I'm only bringing this up because the film Early Release, showing at 2.15 p.m. on Friday 5th, is listed on imbd under the much better alternate exploitation title Mommy's Prison Secret!
domino harvey in June wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:19 pm
Three Violent People is another skippable Charlton Heston western. Hopefully they'll schedule Arrowhead soon, since that's the Heston-starring Paramount western worth seeing
They must have heard you, because Arrowhead is on Film4 at 2.45 p.m. on Wednesday 3rd!

jlnight

#714 Post by jlnight » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:55 am

Deadpool, Sat 6th Oct, Channel 4. Also Wed 10th Oct, on 4Seven.

Moonlighting, Sun 7th Oct, London Live. (Probably the Skolimowski film)

The Whole Truth, late Thu 11th Oct, Talking Pictures. Or Fri 12th Oct.
colinr0380 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:16 pm
It is also nice to see A Private Function get a rare terrestrial TV screening too. I think the last time it was on Channel 4 was back during the Handmade/Michael Palin season in 1996? That makes me wonder whether some of the less successful films such as Water and Privates On Parade have been screened since then. Or the Michael Palin starring The Missionary (the title being a double entendre about the practice and the position!), which is probably the one most worthy of a boutique label release.
In recent years all of those, and Bullshot, have been London Live territory. On a related note A Severed Head is scheduled for Talking Pictures in October.

The Southern Star had some censorship the other day (native women in a dance scene have their bare breasts blurred as does Ursula Andress in a river scene I think). They've done a bit of blurring on The Riddle of the Sands and Payroll too!

jlnight

#715 Post by jlnight » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Cross-Roads (short), Fri 12th Oct, Talking Pictures.

The Day the Earth Caught Fire, (also Sun 21st Oct) followed by Gumshoe, (also Fri 19th Oct) followed by Bedazzled, all Sat 13th Oct, Talking Pictures. What a triple bill.

The Ugly Duckling, Sun 14th Oct, Talking Pictures.
Scream of Fear (Taste of Fear), Sun 14th Oct, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 17th Oct.

She Played with Fire (Fortune is a Woman), Tue 16th Oct, Talking Pictures.

Another screening of Psyche 59, late Wed 17th Oct, Talking Pictures.

Dr Amicus

#716 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 pm

The Ugly Duckling is (presumably) the very rare Hammer film which is a comic version of Jekyll & Hyde. Indeed, so rare that when Marcus Hearn and Alan Barnes completed the first edition of their book, The Hammer Story, neither of them had seen it or could locate a copy.

MichaelB

Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#717 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:06 pm

The BFI has the 35mm negative, but no viewing materials, so anyone booking a research viewing would have to pay upfront to get a print (or scan) made.

Dr Amicus

#718 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:11 pm

So I remember being told by Norman j Warren a few years back at a Hammer festival. Shame the picture quality on the channel is not great, but this is still a must watch.

colinr0380

#719 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Very little on terrestrial TV next week apart from the previously mentioned Deadpool (though Channel 5 have five TV movie premieres over weekday afternoons), but Film4 have just trailed that they will be premiering The VVitch on Halloween night, so there is that to look forward to!

colinr0380

#720 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:27 am

mistakaninja wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 pm
Mystery Road is the same character as the surprisingly good films. It is set between them though, i.e. after Mystery Road but before Goldstone.
colinr0380 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 pm
That is good to know mistakaninja! Hopefully it will bode well for that film appearing after the TV series is aired (the 2013 film did get repeated a couple of weeks back on BBC2, presumably in preparation for the series, but Goldstone has not had an airing as yet)
And Goldstone is premiered on BBC4 at 9 p.m. on Saturday 13th!

Also on Saturday 13th at 9 p.m. BBC2 has the first of three episodes of Black Hollywood: "They've Gotta Have Us" (though the Radio Times write up slightly worryingly says that this first episode ignores Paul Robeson entirely in order to get to Harry Belafonte and Sidney Poitier all the faster)

It is a really good week for films as well: my recommendation would be Film4's premiere of Nerve at 9 p.m. on Thursday 18th. Here's our thread on the film. Though the real item of interest is Menashe, about the trials of a single father in Brooklyn's Hasidic Jewish community, on Film4 at 1.20 a.m. on Wednesday 17th, which does not appear to have had a DVD or Blu-ray release in the UK at all.

Plus, after all of the TV movies featuring deadly nannies, lodgers, roommates, sisters, husbands, daughters, exes etc, etc, there is a TV movie on Channel 5 that finally tackles the terror of our times: the smart house that is trying to kill you. I doubt it is anything on the level of Demon Seed, but based on the Radio Times write up "After Samantha's husband goes missing during a climbing expedition, the technology in their hi-tech home starts going haywire", I will definitely be recording Tiny House of Terror, on Channel 5 at 2.15 p.m. on Tuesday 16th! Will it feature the ghost of the climber husband coming back to haunt her? Probably more likely with it being a Lifetime Movie is that the cheating husband has faked his death and is just trying to kill her.

colinr0380

#721 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

And Channel 4 have just trailed that the Sean Penn and Natascha McElhone starring sci-fi series The First is airing soon.

jlnight

#722 Post by jlnight » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Robocop, starts Fri 19th Oct, ITV4. (Probably the original).

It Should Happen to You, Sat 20th Oct, Talking Pictures. Also on Thu 25th Oct.
A Severed Head, Sat 20th Oct, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 31st Oct.

Loss of Innocence (The Greengage Summer), Sun 21st Oct, Talking Pictures. Also on Fri 26th Oct.

The Mind of Mr Soames, Wed 24th Oct, Talking Pictures. Also on Sat 3rd Nov.

Moonlighting was the Skolimowski film. It must be the first time on UK telly since the 1980s.

colinr0380

#723 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Yes its the original RoboCop showing on Friday and Sunday next week (Sunday in a double bill with Total Recall). ITV4 are also showing Se7en a couple of times next week too, on Saturday 20th and Tuesday 23rd.

Otherwise next week is pretty quiet until Friday 26th, when suddenly all the Halloween films start up. ITV2 has the premiere of The Conjuring at 9 p.m., while Film4 has the recent Blair Witch film at 10.50 p.m.. The Radio Times has also let slip a few films coming up in Film4's horror season after that, including Kaleidoscope, Pet and The Other Side of the Door as well as a repeats of Midnight Meat Train and Inferno.

reaky

#724 Post by reaky » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:27 am

jlnight wrote:The Mind of Mr Soames, Wed 24th Oct, Talking Pictures. Also on Sat 3rd Nov.
It’s great how TPTV so often give you the opportunity to sample recent Indicator releases.

jlnight

#725 Post by jlnight » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:42 am

Comanche Station, Fri 26th Oct, Film4. Also Wed 31st Oct.

Yesterday's Enemy, Sat 27th Oct, Talking Pictures. Also Sun 4th Nov.
Inferno (as mentioned above), late Sat 27th Oct, Film4.

The Hellions, Tues 30th Oct, Talking Pictures. Also late Sun 4th Nov.

Unearthly Stranger, Wed 31st Oct, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 3rd Nov.
The Terror (Corman), late Wed 31st Oct, Talking Pictures.

Britannia Hospital, Thu 1st Nov, London Live.

A lot of the films I highlight on Talking Pictures are Columbia films. Some are Indicator releases, others I can't imagine being released by any boutique label! (Lost in the Desert, Idol on Parade, You Can't Do Without Love). I wonder whether The Ugly Duckling will end up on a Hammer box set.