Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
nitin

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1426 Post by nitin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:15 am

Those are great announcements!

Kino Insider

#1427 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Coming November 6th!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Masters From 4K Scans!

Two Films Directed by and Starring the Great Ray Milland!

A Man Alone (1955) with optional English subtitles
• New HD master from a 4K scan of the original Trucolor negative and positive separations!
• New Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• KLSC Trailers

Lisbon (1956) with optional English subtitles
• New HD master from a 4K scan of the original Trucolor negative!
• New Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• KLSC Trailers

A MAN ALONE (1955) Color 96 Minutes 1.66:1 Not Rated
Ray Milland (Panic in Year Zero!), Ward Bond (Dakota), Raymond Burr (Pitfall) and Lee Van Cleef (Barquero) are headed for a lethal showdown of greed, treachery and vengeance in this blazing Western adventure directed by Milland (Lisbon). When notorious gunslinger Wes Steele (Milland) chances upon the gruesome remains of a stagecoach robbery, he reports the carnage in a nearby town. But there he is framed for the crime by Stanley (Burr), the town’s most respected citizen, who secretly committed the murders himself as part of an intricate bank robbery scheme. Escaping the town’s relentless lynch mob, Wes finds refuge in the house of the local sheriff (Bond), where he falls for his host’s winsome daughter (Mary Murphy, The Wild One) and gradually wins the lawman’s trust and respect. Now together with his newfound allies, he must return to face the vengeful townspeople and wage a bloody war with cunning Stanley and his ruthless gang. Co-starring Alan Hale Jr. (TV’s Gilligan’s Island).

LISBON (1956) Color 90 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
For Capt. Robert John Evans (Ray Milland, Premature Burial), smuggling black-market goods is nothing out of the ordinary. But he's hired by Aristides Mavros (Claude Rains, Notorious) for a more involved assignment - sneaking an imprisoned American (Percy Marmont, Secret Agent) out of communist-controlled territory. The dangerous job becomes even more challenging when he meets the prisoner's sultry wife, Sylvia (Maureen O'Hara, The Rare Breed). Ray Milland (A Man Alone) directed this thrilling adventure yarn which co-stars Yvonne Furneaux (Repulsion) and Francis Lederer (The Return of Dracula). Beautifully shot in Scope by Jack A. Marta (The Last Command).

Finch

#1428 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Excellent news about Sister George!

Kino Insider

#1429 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:39 pm

LAST CHANCE!
SALE ENDS TOMORROW MORNING!

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/v ... /aug18sale

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1430 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 pm

The covers are great

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1431 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 am

Kino Insider wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:38 pm
Here's the DVD Beaver review for DEEP RISING
Not sure what the Blu-ray.com reviewer, who's usually all over the place with his reviews, was watching. You have to blind not to see the difference between the two releases.
Ad personam and gamma aside, I guess I must be going blind, then.

dda1996a

#1432 Post by dda1996a » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:13 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 pm
The covers are great

And the films themselves?

Kino Insider

#1433 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Coming November 13th on DVD and Blu-ray!
Two Films Starring Screen Legend Carole Lombard!

Made For Each Other (1939) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New HD Master from a 2K Scan of the Restored Fine Grain Master
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Lee Gambin
• Theatrical Trailer

Nothing Sacred (1937) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New HD Master from a 2K Scan of the Restored Fine Grain Master
• Audio Commentary by William Wellman Jr.
• Theatrical Trailer

MADE FOR EACH OTHER (1939) B&W 93 Min 1.33:1 NR
Carole Lombard (Nothing Sacred) delivered the best performance of her career and James Stewart (Broken Arrow) earned himself a place among the screen's most notable actors in this humor-laced marital drama that's as refreshing as a breath of spring. Attorney John Mason (Stewart) marries Jane (Lombard) after a blissful, one-day courtship. Life is wonderful... until they are overwhelmed by the demands of John's boss, his meddlesome mother and the birth of a baby. Just when the marriage is at the breaking point, a crisis turns their world upside down. Will their newfound love falter... or are the young newlyweds truly made for each other? John Cromwell (Since You Went Away) directed this wonderful David O. Selznick (I’ll Be Seeing You) production which featured wonderful performances by Charles Coburn (The More the Merrier) and Lucile Watson (Watch on the Rhine).

NOTHING SACRED (1937) Color 74 Min 1.33:1 NR
He's an unscrupulous newspaperman eager to exploit the story of a young woman's death by radium poisoning. She knows she's not really dying but can't pass up a free trip to New York with all the trimmings. Carole Lombard (Made for Each Other) and Fredric March (Inherit the Wind) co-star in this classic black comedy by the great William Wellman (Beau Geste). Legendary screenwriter Ben Hecht's sharply satirical screenplay, depicting the morbid nature of the scandal-hungry public, is more relevant than ever—with such wonderfully comic lines as "Doctor, I want to know the worst... we go to press in fifteen minutes!" Wellman keeps the comic pace frantic in one of the screen's cleverest screwball comedies. With a supporting cast featuring some of Hollywood's funniest character actors, including Margaret Hamilton (Driftwood), Charles Winninger (A Lady Takes a Chance) and Walter Connolly (It Happened One Night), Nothing Sacred is nothing less than hysterical.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1434 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:28 pm

Carole Lombard (Nothing Sacred) delivered the best performance of her career

It's not even her best performance of 1939

mteller

#1435 Post by mteller » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 pm

I like how the only other credit listed for Lombard in the Made for Each Other description is Nothing Sacred, and vice versa. Clearly these are her two defining roles.

Kino Insider

#1436 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:58 pm

mteller wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 pm
I like how the only other credit listed for Lombard in the Made for Each Other description is Nothing Sacred, and vice versa. Clearly these are her two defining roles.
My Man Godfrey is also a great one and To Be or Not to Be.
Last edited by Kino Insider on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kino Insider

#1437 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Coming November 6th on DVD and Blu-ray!

Big Trouble (2002) with optional English subtitles
• NEW Audio Commentary by Director Barry Sonnenfeld
• 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Stereo
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 85 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG-13
From Barry Sonnenfeld, the director of The Addams Family, Get Shorty and the Men in Black Trilogy, comes this hilarious action-comedy with an all-star cast that includes Tim Allen (The Santa Clause), Rene Russo (One Good Cop), Stanley Tucci (Big Night), Tom Sizemore (Strange Days), Johnny Knoxville (Men in Black II), Dennis Farina (Out of Sight), Ben Foster (Hell or High Water), Janeane Garofalo (Mystery Men), Patrick Warburton (TV’s Seinfeld), Zooey Deschanel (500 Days of Summer), Omar Epps (Juice), Jason Lee (Mallrats), Andy Richter (Cabin Boy), DJ Qualls (Road Trip) and Sofia Vergara (TV’s Modern Family). Big Trouble has something for everyone, as it follows the fast and furious comedic chaos created when a mysterious suitcase that threatens the security of Miami changes the lives of a divorced dad, an unhappy housewife, two hitmen, a pair of street thugs, two love-struck teens, two FBI agents and a psychedelic toad.

Kino Insider

#1438 Post by Kino Insider » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Coming November 13th on Blu-ray!

The Gingerbread Man (1998) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by director Robert Altman
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 114 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
He knew the law, but he forgot the rules: Never get involved with a client. And never put your family in danger. Legendary director Robert Altman (The Long Goodbye, Thieves Like Us) helms this thriller based on a John Grisham (The Chamber) original story. Kenneth Branagh (Valkyrie), Robert Downey Jr. (Less Than Zero), Daryl Hannah (Summer Lovers), Tom Berenger (Shattered), Famke Janssen (Deep Rising) and Robert Duvall (True Confessions) star in this complex mystery thriller. Step into the courtly world of Savannah's top-tier law firms. Meet one of the brightest young stars of the bar, Rick Magruder (Branagh). And witness how his obsession with a beautiful, mysterious client (Embeth Davidtz, Feast of July), stalked by her deranged father, plunges him into a world of terrifying intrigue and deadly deceit. As a hurricane bears down on the city, Rick finds himself locked in a battle without a judge or jury—only an executioner. Beautifully shot by Changwei Gu (Farewell My Concubine) with a rousing score by Mark Isham (Billy Bathgate).

Gerald Christie

#1439 Post by Gerald Christie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 pm

I got to hand it to Kino and their quick turnaround in quality as it really seems they put a lot of effort and care into the whole package. They are certainly getting a lot of business and preorders from me these upcoming months. I'm just so excited with their current and upcoming output, a lot of variety and interesting titles and the fact that restorations seem to be the new norm and with the added bonus of some terrific and insightful special features. I haven't seen something quite like that since Arrow which also started out as a mediocre label and then grew into something quite special.
I definitely plan on buying The Spiral Staircase, The Night Strangler, The Night Stalker, Trilogy of Terror, Nothing Sacred and Whatever Happened to Aunt Alice?
Last edited by Gerald Christie on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcota17

#1440 Post by kcota17 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Which restorations have been great lately? All the discs I’ve gotten lately have been the same mediocre quality.

Gerald Christie

#1441 Post by Gerald Christie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:37 pm

kcota17 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:27 pm
Which restorations have been great lately? All the discs I’ve gotten lately have been the same mediocre quality.
I Walk Alone, The Woman in The Window, Irma La Douche, The Day After, just to name a few...

kcota17

#1442 Post by kcota17 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Well that’s good that things have been looking better. For awhile things weren’t looking too well (with the Leone westerns, Barton Fink etc)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1443 Post by Drucker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 pm

It really feels like high profile restorations are getting botched (not Kino’s fault but they are left holding the bag) whereas these lower profile titles are looking really great.

nitin

#1444 Post by nitin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:48 am

Most of the Paramount restored titles look fantastic. The others are definitely a bit more of a mixed bag, and the ABC and Disney titles are mainly decade old masters, but at least it means some films are being put out there in acceptable quality discs that can be had for appropriate prices.

Kino Insider

#1445 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:34 pm

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

The Tarnished Angels (1957) Starring Rock Hudson, Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone, Jack Carson, Robert Middleton and Troy Donahue - Shot by Irving Glassberg (Bend of the River) - Screenplay by George Zuckerman (99 River Street, Written on the Wind) - Based on the Novel by William Faulkner (The Long Hot Summer, The Reivers) - Directed by Douglas Sirk (Magnificent Obsession, All That Heaven Allows, Imitation of Life).

Last edited by Kino Insider on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kino Insider

#1446 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:51 pm

Can someone give us a step by step way of uploading images. We work with MAC computers, so maybe some options are not available.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1447 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:54 pm

Our forum doesn't have site-based image options (ie you can't upload images to our forum like you can at Blu-ray.com). However, you can link to images hosted elsewhere, like on Kino's website, using this code:

Code: Select all

[img]ImageUrlGoesHere[/img]
So, for instance, here's what my post where I included the covers for the Aldrichs looks like

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/TUhcv5m.jpg[/img]

Glowingwabbit

#1448 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:34 pm
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

The Tarnished Angels (1957) Starring Rock Hudson, Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone, Jack Carson, Robert Middleton and Troy Donahue - Shot by Irving Glassberg (The Big Heat, Bend of the River) - Screenplay by George Zuckerman (99 River Street, Written on the Wind) - Based on the Novel by William Faulkner (The Long Hot Summer, The Reivers) - Directed by Douglas Sirk (Magnificent Obsession, All That Heaven Allows, Imitation of Life).
Wish this was A Time to Love, A Time to Die since I missed out on the OOP Blu from MoC

Kino Insider

#1449 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:45 pm

The Chamber (1996) with optional English subtitles
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 113 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated R
Chris O’Donnell (TV’s NCIS: Los Angeles) and screen legends Gene Hackman (Mississippi Burning) and Faye Dunaway (The Thomas Crown Affair) star in this gripping suspense thriller based on an explosive John Grisham (The Gingerbread Man) novel. O'Donnell stars as idealistic young attorney Adam Hall who takes on the death row clemency case of his onetime Klansman grandfather (Hackman). With just 28 days before the execution, Adam sets out to retrace the events leading to the crime for which his grandfather was convicted. As the impending death sentence looms closer, Adam works quickly to uncover the family's history for any hidden clues. In a white-knuckle series of twists and turns, Adam discovers deceptions and dark secrets that ultimately lead him to the startling truth. Directed by James Foley (Glengarry Glen Ross) with a screenplay by William Goldman (All the President’s Men) and Phil Alden Robinson (Sneakers). The top-notch cast includes Robert Prosky (Thief), Raymond J. Barry (Year of the Dragon), Harve Presnell (Fargo), Richard Bradford (The Untouchables), Josef Sommer (Witness), Jane Kaczmarek (D.O.A.), Millie Perkins (The Diary of Anne Frank) and sports legend Bo Jackson.

Gregory

#1450 Post by Gregory » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:45 pm

The Chamber (1996) ... The top-notch cast includes Robert Prosky (Thief), Raymond J. Barry (Year of the Dragon), Harve Presnell (Fargo), Richard Bradford (The Untouchables), Josef Sommer (Witness), Jane Kaczmarek (D.O.A.), Millie Perkins (The Diary of Anne Frank) and sports legend Bo Jackson.
Bo Jackson is a naturally gifted actor.

I read that he was also featured in an episode of Diagnosis Murder, playing a nanny to four babies whose mother had been kidnapped. (???)