Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

#226 Post by Brian C » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:16 am

His own performances are nothing to get excited about.

bearcuborg

#227 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:20 am

His narration ruined the last movie for me. Other than that, they haven’t bothered me too much. His rant in Pulp Fiction still makes me laugh the hardest when I see that movie.

Big Ben

#228 Post by Big Ben » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:20 pm

I've no dobut Tarantino is in the film in someway. Did y'all not see his gnarly outfit?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#229 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:21 pm

I think he just dresses up for fun, I seem to recall him in cowboy gear for his last couple pics

black&huge

#230 Post by black&huge » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Yeah he always dresses up while filming to keep the theme going off camera.

I don't mind him acting in his own films in fact I never thought it that bothersome. I used to cringe at his performance in Pulp Fiction because he exaggerated the hell out of being angry but then I realized how would anyone react if an acquaintance showed up at your house one morning without warning to take care of a dead body. It's actually a pretty funny performance. I also enjoyed his sloppily acted Aussie in Django but his turn as that simpleton baghead was probably the best display of his character actor abilities because you didn't see his face so he probably felt a lot more natural with being fully capable of acting.

Lost Highway

#231 Post by Lost Highway » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:20 pm
I've no dobut Tarantino is in the film in someway. Did y'all not see his gnarly outfit?

The jeans and sneakers would not be right for the late 60s.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#233 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:28 pm

Damon Herriman is Manson, plus Lena Dunham's role is that of a Manson Family member

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#234 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 pm

I love how Tarantino's binge watch of Justified a few years back means we now have the most unexpected Raylan Givens/Dewey Crowe reunion ever

The Narrator Returns

#235 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Also, Margaret Qualley and Dreama Walker have been added to the cast.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#236 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Where's Walker been since Don't Trust the B---- in Apt 23 got cancelled?

EDIT Holy shit, she's playing Connie Stevens. This movie is crazy

black&huge

#237 Post by black&huge » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:23 pm

So... many.... goddamn people. Is Tarantino sure he isn't just going to call it a day with 9 films? This seems like a swan song.

I'm also not familiar with a lot of the younger cast. From the obvious children of household name actors to just ones I never heard of I haven't seen anything these people have been in except Austin Butler from Yoga Hosers which I watched recently but I still had to google him after he was announced to remember.

So what I'm asking is for those of you familiar with a lot of the younger cast in your opinion do you think Tarantino is consciously making a good choice in having them or does it seem like he saw these people in one or two things that he liked on first impression and just said "well I have so many roles to fill. Time to just give them away"?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#238 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:08 am

black&huge wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:23 pm
So... many.... goddamn people. Is Tarantino sure he isn't just going to call it a day with 9 films? This seems like a swan song.

I'm also not familiar with a lot of the younger cast. From the obvious children of household name actors to just ones I never heard of I haven't seen anything these people have been in except Austin Butler from Yoga Hosers which I watched recently but I still had to google him after he was announced to remember.

So what I'm asking is for those of you familiar with a lot of the younger cast in your opinion do you think Tarantino is consciously making a good choice in having them or does it seem like he saw these people in one or two things that he liked on first impression and just said "well I have so many roles to fill. Time to just give them away"?
I am really confused about multiple aspects of this post - first off, films in general routinely have large casts, it doesn't mean that everyone in the cast is going to play a giant part in it. Not sure why someone being added to the roster of a Tarantino film means they're going to leap off the screen with their own special moment - casting in his films is news because actors are willing to step over one another to participate, but that doesn't mean they're going to have a big part to play in the plot. Why would a director, or a casting director, throw up their hands and say "Time to start casting random people, so much work to do!"? Just because black&huge doesn't recognize them?

And as for your first question - what is more ambitious about this film than any of his others?

black&huge

#239 Post by black&huge » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:23 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:08 am

I am really confused about multiple aspects of this post - first off, films in general routinely have large casts, it doesn't mean that everyone in the cast is going to play a giant part in it. Not sure why someone being added to the roster of a Tarantino film means they're going to leap off the screen with their own special moment - casting in his films is news because actors are willing to step over one another to participate, but that doesn't mean they're going to have a big part to play in the plot. Why would a director, or a casting director, throw up their hands and say "Time to start casting random people, so much work to do!"? Just because black&huge doesn't recognize them?

And as for your first question - what is more ambitious about this film than any of his others?
That was something in my mind i forgot to mention. I assumed a lot of these people will be relegated to background or maybe a couple lines of dialogue at most.

Second, because it looks like he's never done such a large scale film that attempts to combine real life events and people with fiction even moreso than Basterds. Making over downtown L.A., the large mix of A-listers and tv stars, the fact it's known as an integration of multiple stories a la Pulp Fiction it seems it's going to be the latter film turned up to 11.

A lot of the younger cast are credited with roles in current tv shows that are popular. Undoubtedly this will help the its box office success across a wide demographic but as for me I only get around to watching one or two new series a year and I can't keep up with every single new one popping up and I doubt anyone really can. Seeing as how some of this cast are coming from well known roles in shows that are more than a few years old, have ended but are still talked about I can barely even keep up with those either. It's less about just me not recognizing these people, they're coming from so many different things how is anyone just supposed to know which?

Also on a sidenote I noticed some pages back in this thread you said you are a big Tarantino defender on this board. I'd like to make clear I'm still as much of a Tarantino fan as I ever was and I do my fairshare of defending his work for the most part. In this case I'm just not used to the amount of young cast announced regardless of how small their roles may be. Tarantino flat out said around the time H8 came out that he favors casting older actors or getting actors once they reach a certain age and said he hates when a movie is just dominated by young pretty people. I love that idea so perhaps I'm thinking too hard about it with this film.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#240 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:36 pm

Has nothing to do with my enjoying Tarantino's work or not, I just don't know if you're articulating yourself well on why it is remotely remarkable that the cast of this film is filled out with young and/or scantly known actors. That's what almost every film that has applicable roles does, it doesn't mean Tarantino or even the casting team knows them from Adam or expects viewers to.

If you're casting a young woman with two lines you can't give that role to Bruce Dern.

Didn't someone on this forum have a little hissy fit about Channing Tatum being cast in The Hateful Eight because he's too young and popular and good-looking, or am I misremembering? What is it about Tarantino films that inspires this sort of thing?

Lost Highway

#241 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:49 pm

black&huge wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:23 pm

That was something in my mind i forgot to mention. I assumed a lot of these people will be relegated to background or maybe a couple lines of dialogue at most.

Second, because it looks like he's never done such a large scale film that attempts to combine real life events and people with fiction even moreso than Basterds. Making over downtown L.A., the large mix of A-listers and tv stars, the fact it's known as an integration of multiple stories a la Pulp Fiction it seems it's going to be the latter film turned up to 11.

A lot of the younger cast are credited with roles in current tv shows that are popular. Undoubtedly this will help the its box office success across a wide demographic but as for me I only get around to watching one or two new series a year and I can't keep up with every single new one popping up and I doubt anyone really can. Seeing as how some of this cast are coming from well known roles in shows that are more than a few years old, have ended but are still talked about I can barely even keep up with those either. It's less about just me not recognizing these people, they're coming from so many different things how is anyone just supposed to know which?

Also on a sidenote I noticed some pages back in this thread you said you are a big Tarantino defender on this board. I'd like to make clear I'm still as much of a Tarantino fan as I ever was and I do my fairshare of defending his work for the most part. In this case I'm just not used to the amount of young cast announced regardless of how small their roles may be. Tarantino flat out said around the time H8 came out that he favors casting older actors or getting actors once they reach a certain age and said he hates when a movie is just dominated by young pretty people. I love that idea so perhaps I'm thinking too hard about it with this film.
In terms of scale this looks comparable to Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained.

Obviously this is going to have a lot of young actors in smaller roles because the Manson family and hangers on were young and plentiful. And many of Sharon Tate's friends were young too, she was murdered when she was 26.

Persona

#242 Post by Persona » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 pm

I get the impression that everyone wants to be in this movie and that Tarantino wants everyone to be in this movie.

Tarantino is definitely a maximalist so it wouldn't be shocking if this movie is horrifically overstuffed, but equally likely is that the majority of these "name" actors are playing parts that in other films would usually be reserved for someone whose recent previous credits were something like "Woman #2" or "Loud Punk" in an episode of NCIS.

Hollywood is this movie's extra, which is kind of great and apt.

Lost Highway

#243 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Persona wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 pm
I get the impression that everyone wants to be in this movie and that Tarantino wants everyone to be in this movie.

Tarantino is definitely a maximalist so it wouldn't be shocking if this movie is horrifically overstuffed, but equally likely is that the majority of these "name" actors are playing parts that in other films would usually be reserved for someone whose recent previous credits were something like "Woman #2" or "Loud Punk" in an episode of NCIS.

Hollywood is this movie's extra, which is kind of great and apt.
I don't see this at all as "overstuffed", there were a lot of people involved in this case. I doubt actors are being cast because Tarantino has decided that this is going to be a free for all. The vast majority of the real life characters being cast, from Steve McQueen to Bruce Lee to Joanna Pettet, played a role in the story. If you have a look at the characters depicted in the film, nearly all had a connection to the Manson family or to Sharon Tate.

flyonthewall2983

#244 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:26 pm

I wouldn't be too surprised if this clocks in close to, if not over 3 hours.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#245 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:48 pm

This thread is so strange.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#246 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:52 pm

What font do y'all think Quentin'll use for the opening credits? I'm gonna go with Candice

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#247 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:54 pm

He's going to realize this is his biggest and longest and final and most chock full of actors movie ever and go with Ravie

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#248 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:55 pm

TMZ wrote:BREAKING: QT Casts Candace Cameron as Julie Christie

Dylan

#249 Post by Dylan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:52 pm

Samantha Robinson, who was great in The Love Witch, has recently joined the cast and will be playing Abigail Folger.

black&huge

#250 Post by black&huge » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:07 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:36 pm
Has nothing to do with my enjoying Tarantino's work or not, I just don't know if you're articulating yourself well on why it is remotely remarkable that the cast of this film is filled out with young and/or scantly known actors. That's what almost every film that has applicable roles does, it doesn't mean Tarantino or even the casting team knows them from Adam or expects viewers to.

If you're casting a young woman with two lines you can't give that role to Bruce Dern.

Didn't someone on this forum have a little hissy fit about Channing Tatum being cast in The Hateful Eight because he's too young and popular and good-looking, or am I misremembering? What is it about Tarantino films that inspires this sort of thing?
I thought it was clear in my previous reply to the first and last part if your response. Tarantino typically casts older actors or waits til they age a bit to work with them and has openly said he doesn't like movies all about pretty young people starring pretty young people.

That said I have understood the era and event that there is a lot of young people involved though not super young but it's jarring because I assume everyone who enjoys his work has clearly noticed he doesn't use a large amount of young actors regardless of the type of role so when the cast is pretty equal if not more in the amount of young people to old people I don't think it's so far out to be a little weirded out. But this could be some sort of response to a "pretty people" film in some way and I'm curious to see if it plays out that way.