MoviePass and Other Cinema Subscription Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.

hearthesilence

Re: MoviePass

#452 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Just checked into Williamsburg Cinemas - the app listed no screenings BUT gave a generic “unlisted screening” option so it all worked out. Even at the matinee price of $9 the face value of the ticket is still more than the monthly breakdown of the annual MoviePass enrollment.

MongooseCmr

#453 Post by MongooseCmr » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:33 pm

This weeks dart throw at a sustainable business model: only two movies to pick from per day, and not even all showtimes

Also peak pricing is back, and on the Moviepass subreddit some people are claiming that clicking "agree" on the new terms and conditions popup this week has re-enrolled them in the service if they had cancelled already, and can't cancel through the app again. Seems odd and hard to verify but I'd believe it at this point.

Kirkinson

#454 Post by Kirkinson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:59 pm

While MoviePass has generally been restricted to the two-movie choice for me lately, sometime in the late afternoon yesterday everything opened up again and almost all movies at almost all showtimes for the rest of the evening were available, and I was able to check in and buy a ticket for Blackkklansman without any trouble. Today it’s back to just Slender Man or The Meg, even though they just sent me an email promoting Mission Impossible.

And yes, the last email I got from Moviepass talked about how I had “opted in” to the new plan starting this month, which I guess means that agreeing to the new terms and conditions is being interpreted that way. They come right out and say in that email that if you canceled before “opting in” then opting in overrides the cancelation. Pretty shady.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#455 Post by Brian C » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:01 pm

“You will be ineligible to join again for nine months. Unless we trick you.”

movielocke

#456 Post by movielocke » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:24 pm

I’m trying to cancel and the cancel button in the app on the final page (where you can type in a reason) does not work

Brian C

#457 Post by Brian C » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:26 pm

If you haven’t already, pick a reason from the drop down box. Kinda tricky to spot.

movielocke

#458 Post by movielocke » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Brian C wrote:If you haven’t already, pick a reason from the drop down box. Kinda tricky to spot.
That did do it, but first I updated the app. After it was updated it prompted me to pick the invisible drop down option.

hearthesilence

#459 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Another option is to go out in a blaze of glory by violating as many agreement terms as you can, like buying tickets and selling them to a third party. C'mon MoviePass, RENEW me - I dare ya!

Brian C

#460 Post by Brian C » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:24 pm

So, last week when I started up my AMC subscription, I also cancelled my MoviePass subscription. My current MP billing cycle ends tomorrow, August 14.

However, I did "accept the terms" when they subsequently announced the new plans, but after I saw Kirkinson's post above, I cancelled again. This was probably Saturday?

At any rate, I got an email from MP today titled "Confirmation of New MoviePass Subscription", with new updates "coming on the first day of [my] new billing cycle, 2018-09-14"! It also stated that if I "had previously requested cancellation prior to opting-in, [my] opt-in to the new plan will take priority and [my] account will not be cancelled."

So, I did the chat thing in-app this afternoon, and the chat rep stated that my cancellation had been processed, but flatly refused to confirm that I will not be billed tomorrow. The best they could offer was that, if I am, I should contact them for assistance.

TL;DR - watch your credit card charges after you cancel, people. These guys are basically straight-up thieves at this point.

knives

#461 Post by knives » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:51 pm

You can also call up your banks to ensure that they won't process further charges from moviepass.

Brian C

#462 Post by Brian C » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:59 pm

It's far easier if MoviePass does it, though. Obviously if the charge goes through, I'll have to get the bank involved anyway.

But mostly my point is just for people not to take the cancellation for granted.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#463 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Sounds like MoviePass' cancellation process belongs here

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#464 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:36 am

Fiery Angel

#465 Post by Fiery Angel » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:39 pm

DarkImbecile

#466 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:36 pm

MoviePass finally changes terms on annual subscribers, offers pro-rated refunds for those canceling by the end of the month

First they came for the monthly subscribers, and I did not speak out...

I'm rolling the dice and sticking with it to see if I can wring out more than the roughly $23 I'd get from a refund before they finally collapse for good (though they're showing a Michael Myers-esque ability to survive beyond the point of reason so far); if I fail, I'll still have saved over $600 on this subscription, so... still worth it!
Last edited by DarkImbecile on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hearthesilence

#467 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Seeing how it's been impossible to check into the repertory theaters I've frequented most (Lincoln Center, Metrograph, etc. - not even an "unlisted screening" option is given), this may have a minimal impact since there aren't more than three new films I've really wanted to see in any of the remaining months left on my subscription. Plus, given NYC prices, it's still a deal if the annual rate doesn't go up. But it's still a horseshit move to pull this now.

senseabove

#468 Post by senseabove » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:11 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:54 pm
Seeing how it's been impossible to check into the repertory theaters I've frequented most (Lincoln Center, Metrograph, etc. - not even an "unlisted screening" option is given), this may have a minimal impact since there aren't more than three new films I've really wanted to see in any of the remaining months left on my subscription. Plus, given NYC prices, it's still a deal if the annual rate doesn't go up. But it's still a horseshit move to pull this now.
Outside of their e-ticketing partners, they explicitly disallowed any movies that aren't the approved ones for that day, which killed all the rep theaters and the unlisted screening option. I have lots of Landmarks near me that will cover most of the contemporary releases I want to see, and since $10 is cheaper than a Landmark ticket, it's worth it as long as I go see one movie at a Landmark per month. I'm holding out a sliver of hope they go back to allowing other theaters once things settle down a bit, but I'm mainly still here because if they do, I don't want to have to wait to re-enroll. I'm curious if anyone who cancelled has actually tried to re-enroll and been denied, though. They don't seem to be in a position to turn away anyone who wants to give them money...

neal

#469 Post by neal » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:09 pm

MoviePass finally changes terms on annual subscribers, offers pro-rated refunds for those canceling by the end of the month
First they came for the monthly subscribers, and I did not speak out...
This is interesting. I didn't receive that email. I assume it's related to the fact that I purchased my annual membership through Costco. I'll have to look into this...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#470 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:04 am

I also haven't gotten any notification of a change to my subscription, and it still shows it's Annual with an $89.95 per year renewal when I look at my account details. My assumption is that if I cancel, there won't be any refund forthcoming, since they haven't told me so.

Even if it just becomes a Landmark-only subscription, there could be worse things come Oscar season. So I'll ride it out a little longer even though it is essentially impossible to use anywhere else anymore.

McCrutchy

#471 Post by McCrutchy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:28 am

Clearly, the name of this thread must be updated to reflect the true name of MoviePass, Pecan Grove Motel.

DarkImbecile

#472 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:35 am

“No, honey, I swear I was just going to the movies! I’ve never even heard of that motel! Come on, don’t call your mother...”

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#473 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:53 am

This company is the most entertaining trainwreck since InterFilmArt