Mubi

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Bumstead

Re: Mubi

#126 Post by Bumstead » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:31 am

Well, well, well...

Here's the link to the tweet.

Gregory

#127 Post by Gregory » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:43 am

Reading a couple of the comments under the apology, it looks like they've offended some folks by apologizing for this and may need to apologize for their apology.
why are you apologizing? it's a very clever ads. Please, stop this trend in which everything someone says "offends" other.

Cremildo

#128 Post by Cremildo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:56 am

I agree with the quoted comment (whose author doesn't really seem to be offended at all). The Mubi ad was a joke which was likely to be understood only by cinephiles, who are their target audience already - which is precisely why it failed as a piece of marketing if their intention was to grab the attention of the general public. Not offensive in the least and hardly the cause for such a breathless public mea culpa.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#129 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:56 am

I will never understand the notion that one's taste in movies (or anything else) somehow makes one a better human being than other less (supposedly) "advanced" persons....

hearthesilence

#130 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:20 pm

You can still be okay even if you're a philistine.

colinr0380

#131 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:10 am

With relatively little fanfare Mubi appears to have set up a Blu-ray and DVD label in the UK recently. I just picked up Under The Silver Lake, which has Mubi branding and a "002" spine number (and features a Q&A with Andrew Garfield, "What Lies Under The Silver Lake" and "Beautiful Specter" featurettes), and it looks as if they have released the Swedish film Border as their first title. The Suspiria 'remake' is coming on 7th October.

EDIT: Bacarau has now been released. I'll try and keep this post updated as I find out more information. So far:

Upcoming (Blu-ray unless otherwise noted):

Main List:

001: Border (2018)
002: Under The Silver Lake
003: Suspiria (2018)
004: Yves Saint Laurent: The Last Collections (DVD only)
005: A Dog Called Money
006: Bacarau
007: Ema
008: Beanpole (Blu-ray only)
009: Matthias & Maxime
010: The Other Lamb (DVD only)
011: The Image Book (Blu-ray only)
012: On Body And Soul (Blu-ray only)
013: Beginning (Blu-ray only)
014: Notturno (Blu-ray only)
015: First Cow
016: New Order
017: Limbo (2020)
018: Shiva Baby
019: Annette
020: Azor
021: Petite Maman
022: Lamb (2021)
023: Cow (2021)
024: Great Freedom
025: The Oslo Trilogy: Reprise/Oslo, August 31st/The Worst Person In The World
026: Drive My Car (Blu and DVD editions - the Blu-ray will apparently be a two disc set with the Making Of documentary on the second disc)
027: Bergman Island
028: Benedetta (Blu and UHD)
029: Pleasure (2021)
030:
031: Decision To Leave (Blu and UHD)
032: Aftersun
033:
034: Alcarràs
035: Holy Spider
036: Close (2022)
037: The Five Devils
038: One Fine Morning
039: Return to Seoul
040: Medusa Deluxe
041: Passages

Upcoming:

Lars von Trier's The Kingdom Trilogy (Blu)
How To Have Sex (Blu)
Fallen Leaves (Blu)

Plus the 2020 Blu-ray release of Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda, which is not numbered

Releases which are region free Blu-ray:
Ema
Beanpole
Matthias & Maxime
Azor
Great Freedom
The Five Devils
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:13 am, edited 46 times in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#132 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:36 am

I can't think of a film more fitting for the Seven Samurai slot in a spine-numbered Mubi disc label than Under the Silver Lake

Bumstead

#133 Post by Bumstead » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Dreadful company. They finally succeeded in getting me to cancel my subscription after an email announcing higher yearly fees.

thirtyframesasecond

#134 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:25 am

I started a Mubi trial again - basically they had a run of good films at the moment so I could watch Safe and Missing. I didn't realise it has an Amazon Prime channel too. Pound for pound, which is likely to be better - subscribing direct or via Amazon (I have Amazon Prime already).

kidc

#135 Post by kidc » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:38 pm

I don't exactly understand it but in the UK at least the Prime channel itself has a lot more films and they are not on the 30-days-and-done countdown of the main website (although how long they're up for, I'm not sure).

A man stayed-put

#136 Post by A man stayed-put » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:12 am

A lot of the stuff on the Prime channel appears to be permanent. Under the Silver Lake, Enyedi's Body and Soul and several other's have remained on there since release.
I've subscribed to both in the past and, although everything doesn't make it over from the direct platform, I found the Prime channel better value. Plus it has Mariano Llinás' Extraordinary Stories which, if you haven't seen it, is worth the monthly cost on it's own.

senseabove

#137 Post by senseabove » Thu May 07, 2020 4:53 pm

Just a shout that you shouldn't miss Jodie Mack's The Grand Bizarre on MUBI US if you care anything for experimental film. It leaves tomorrow and was a highlight of last year for me.

WmS

#139 Post by WmS » Thu May 21, 2020 1:27 pm

Drowning from MUBI's opened floodgates, I'll single out Heinz Emigholz, the patient & austere German filmmaker of architecture. These are slow and intellectually rich films that grow when taken as a sustained engagement. Here Sullivan's Banks is great, but the medium-length standout is D'Annunzio's Cave, a look at protofascist home decorating with a punchy final shot. Love it.

Any other suggestions for single films?

lzx

#140 Post by lzx » Thu May 21, 2020 8:15 pm

All of their own releases I've seen are worth watching, but I wanted to highlight Neïl Beloufa's Occidental and Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda - both worth checking out for the soundtrack alone.

dadaistnun

#141 Post by dadaistnun » Thu May 21, 2020 10:22 pm

I've seen three of the four Angela Schanelec films they have up (haven't seen Nachmittag/Afternoon yet) and would recommend them. I imagine she's not to everyone's taste, but I love the ones I've seen so far. Of the other three on Mubi, I'd recommend starting with Marseille. It was the first of hers I saw and feels like a good introduction to what she does. I found Passing Summer to be the most beautiful looking of her films (they all look great, though, and her sense of framing is remarkable). The Dreamed Path I found somewhat difficult at first, but more rewarding as I reflected on it later.

kscotthandley

#142 Post by kscotthandley » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:47 am

I've had some vexing buffering (?) issues with Mubi after just recently rejoining. A bit of hitching with progress pinwheel in center of screen; but mainly just image quality dropping in and out. I tried changing the bandwidth from site/account setting from 1080 to 720 and this did not seem to help.
I use an Amazon Fire Stick, which is no great shakes; but I have none of these issues with Criterion Channel. I noticed that these Mubi problems happened in the evening, but not in the morning (North America)...so maybe traffic is an issue?

Another issue for me is the apparent inflexibility of subtitles. I find the mandatory black windowbox (at least on some titles) to be distracting; but it doesn't seem like that can be removed in setting, either from the Fire Stick app or from the website. Am I missing something, or is there a workaround?
It's nice that there is the option to remove subs altogether (usually); but usually I want them for non-English-language titles.

I am really happy about the Library feature. Many titles there that I have been wanting to see but not had access. Interesting selection and great supplement to Criterion Channel. But these image quality problems!

Mothravka

#143 Post by Mothravka » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:07 am

kscotthandley wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:47 am
I've had some vexing buffering (?) issues with Mubi after just recently rejoining. A bit of hitching with progress pinwheel in center of screen; but mainly just image quality dropping in and out. I tried changing the bandwidth from site/account setting from 1080 to 720 and this did not seem to help.
I use an Amazon Fire Stick, which is no great shakes; but I have none of these issues with Criterion Channel. I noticed that these Mubi problems happened in the evening, but not in the morning (North America)...so maybe traffic is an issue?
You are not the only one having buffering issues. I live in Sweden and sometimes MUBI works awfully on the PS4 app. For me, MUBI works either perfectly or very bad, but there's not a single problem when I try it with my Android app. When it's bad, the picture quality drops all the time and it will buffer every 30 seconds or something, that makes anything practically unwatchable. The last few days, it has worked fine on the PS4, although you never know when it will be a mess. My backup solution is connecting my phone to the TV with a HDMI cable.

I have mailed them about it and for some reason they just abruptly stopped answering me back after I asked some questions. Very odd. My connection is fine and I noticed that a lot of people have these buffering problems. I think it comes down to their own servers that maybe need some upgrading and something about the hardware (they mentioned that the PS4 app and TV apps have more connectivity issues).

I cancelled my subscription about two or three years ago because of the same buffering issues, but I came back in early 2020. So it's nothing new. Too bad everything isn't fully fixed. At least it works okay for the moment.

kscotthandley

#144 Post by kscotthandley » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:50 am

Mothravka wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:07 am
You are not the only one having buffering issues.
Thanks for the reply. I did a speed test from the Amazon Stick and the result was 46mbps, so I still don't understand the problems with HD streams, but even the 720 HD stream blurs frequently, most evident with hardcoded subs, but also with the image itself. A really noticeable downgrade in quality during primetime hours (evening/weekend), and an upgrade in quality during very early mornings. Disappointing. I'm going to have to bail on Mubi: it's unwatchable and I can't start serial-purchasing new streaming devices in the hope that this will make the difference.

On the other hand, very shortly after I complained above about subtitle problem (black background window, mandatory for softcoded subs, very distracting), there was an app update, and that issue is solved; plus the subs are located a little closer to the bottom of the frame....an improvement. Not assuming my complaint to Mubi made any difference, but it's nice they were aware of the problem and acted on it. There might be some hope for the resolution issues; and for all I know that's still an ISP issue?

My ISP are regional-monopoly gangsters, so I am just not bothering with Mubi for the time being. A pity! The Library really increased the value of the service.

John Cope

#145 Post by John Cope » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:35 am

Must point out the retrospective currently underway on the films of Rita Azevedo Gomes. Excellent news for this great but still most under represented artist and I almost missed it. Any Gomes is well worth checking out but you get a nice broad overview here. And finally The Portuguese Woman gets an English friendly release. Doesn't seem like it should have been that difficult or taken this long. Now just for some decent Blu representation (for that film or any of them). And I'd still love to see most of all The Conquest of Faro or The 15th Stone, both of which remain out of reach. More on Gomes here, btw.

lzx

#146 Post by lzx » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:50 am

Mubi hires three new executives, from Kino Lorber, Alamo Drafthouse, and StudioCanal, respectively. They have been expanding aggressively in the US and particularly in the UK for a while now, and I'm curious if this means they will continue their home video relationship with Kino in the US or if they will start releasing Blu-rays themselves like they already do in the UK.

Finch

#147 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:36 am

Well, there's an unexpected if pleasant development: MUBI are releasing Benedetta on Blu-ray and 4k on August 1.

PS.: Could a mod move this to the boutique label sub-forum? It feels more appropriate there now.

therewillbeblus

#148 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:24 am

I had no idea Mubi was pressing UHDs- hopefully they upgrade Ema!

eerik

#149 Post by eerik » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:44 am

I'm pretty sure that Benedetta will be their first 4K disc. Let's hope it will not be a one-off like Artificial Eye's Parasite has been.

cj-535

#150 Post by cj-535 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:11 am

I spotted this in Fopp Covent Garden the other day on the pre-order board - upcoming 4K UHDs listed for Benedetta, The Worst Person in the World and The Great Freedom.