Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

Re: Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

#51 Post by Buttery Jeb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:40 pm

So I guess Criterion couldn't make a deal with Olive to include Face to Face...

Luke M

#52 Post by Luke M » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:50 pm

How many do you think B&N physical stores will carry? Probably 2 at most?

mteller

#53 Post by mteller » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 pm

I hope they manage to get the making-of doc from the DVD release of Saraband. It was quite good, as I recall.

Besides Torment, the one I'm missing the most is In the Presence of a Clown. Oh well, I can't complain much. I certainly never thought I'd get to see Brink of Life on Blu-Ray.

denti alligator

#54 Post by denti alligator » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:39 pm

I mean, at this price (I mean at 50% this price) it's a no-brainer. I do with the TV version of Scenes were included, though.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#55 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:50 pm

The combined list price for just the films here that Criterion has previously released is $720. If the 18 new films got standalones I imagine we'd be pushing close to $1,400.

fiddlesticks

#56 Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:12 pm

We're going to flood the Bergman resale market. I think I'll list mine now to beat the curve. That way, at least I'll know how many bake sales I need to hold to make up the difference. (Living on a fixed income is hell!) :)

adl345

#57 Post by adl345 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:12 pm
We're going to flood the Bergman resale market. I think I'll list mine now to beat the curve. That way, at least I'll know how many bake sales I need to hold to make up the difference. (Living on a fixed income is hell!) :)
Just checked ebay, and there's already one person trying to sell all the Criterion Blu-ray, the trilogy DVD set, the Eclipse set, and the MGM DVDs for $300 even.

Also, the official press release seems to make clear that the set will feature both versions of Scenes From A Marriage:
CENTERPIECE ONE:

Scenes from a Marriage-
Television version (1973) | U.S. theatrical version (1974)
Saraband (2003)

From the Life of the Marionettes (1980)
Hour of the Wolf (1968)

Shame (1968)
The Passion of Anna (1969)

Fårö Document (1970)
Fårö Document 1979 (1979)

Through a Glass Darkly (1961)
Winter Light (1963)
The Silence (1963)

The Virgin Spring (1960)

beamish14

#58 Post by beamish14 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:03 pm

I know it wasn't directed by him, but it would've been nice to FINALLY have the television version of The Best Intentions

fiddlesticks

#59 Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm

What time do we start the argument over which part of the annual pictogram was the clue for this? :-"

Big Ben

#60 Post by Big Ben » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm
What time do we start the argument over which part of the annual pictogram was the clue for this? :-"
Please don't you'll cause Ribs to change his avatar and go into a fit of conniptions.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#61 Post by Omensetter » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm
What time do we start the argument over which part of the annual pictogram was the clue for this?
It's well-within our power to not do this and use that time rewatching the Dietrich/von Sternberg set.

Luke M

#62 Post by Luke M » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:09 pm

I love the ordering of the films and I anticipate watching them this way.

Rupert Pupkin

#63 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 pm

I have read in the press announcement that they also plan to release - for instance - the Bergman trilogy box set (The Silence...etc...) upgraded in blu-Ray (which I was waiting for a long time)...
while I can see Criterion to put out perhaps something like 2 solo-title of Bergman per year (such as "The Serpent's Egg") I really wonder if they will put out "Saraband" as a single release. This was the only Bergman (as far as I can tell) shot in digital, and I saw it in digital projection in theatrical in Paris when it came out... I wonder if "Saraband" has been released somewhere else on blu-ray ? (I don't think so...)

While I understand the "hype" with this beautiful box set (the artwork is gorgeous); how many people who are member of this forum don't own a single I.Bergman movies ? I happened to have already on DVD, then upgraded gradually on blu-ray.
Besides someone who will go from DVD to Blu-Ray now... If only that was region ALL I know several people in my family and friends who will be delighted to discover and rediscover Bergman like this...
I'm waiting for the test for the early movies (I'm really curious about their transfer quality) because I'm not sure that they will got some single Blu-Ray releases...

zedz

#64 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 pm
While I understand the "hype" with this beautiful box set (the artwork is gorgeous); how many people who are member of this forum don't own a single I.Bergman movies ? I happened to have already on DVD, then upgraded gradually on blu-ray.
I don't think that's really a relevant complaint when the set is priced the way it is. It costs less than BluRays of eight individual films would, and the set contains twenty-seven (I think) films that Criterion hasn't released on BluRay, the majority of which have a) never been released by Criterion in any format, and b) have never been released on BluRay by any other company. You're getting a bargain even if you own every Bergman BluRay released to date.

fiddlesticks

#65 Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:32 pm

For me, this set represents 12 new feature titles to my collection, and a further 20 upgrades from DVD. Even if these aren't the highest priority uses of my limited funds, at an anticipated cost of approximately $5 per new or upgraded titles, offset by whatever I can raise selling my current collection, it's a no-brainer.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:35 pm

If you like me have a bunch of Tartan DVDs that literally no one will buy now no matter how cheap you sell them, head over to Decluttr-- I was able to get decent prices for all my Tartans and the MGM Bergmans from the box (do them individually, you'll get more). This will absolutely change in the coming days when the glut of people trying to offload lowers the offer price, so do it now

Rupert Pupkin

#67 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:36 pm

zedz wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 pm
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 pm
I don't think that's really a relevant complaint when the set is priced the way it is. It costs less than BluRays of eight individual films would, and the set contains twenty-seven (I think) films that Criterion hasn't released on BluRay, the majority of which have a) never been released by Criterion in any format, and b) have never been released on BluRay by any other company. You're getting a bargain even if you own every Bergman BluRay released to date.
that was not intended as a complaint at all (although I hope that some major pieces of this set won't remain exclusive to this box set). I mean, I would be curious to see if in the end this box set attract/hooked a lot of customers who were not "into" the Criterion collection...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#68 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 pm

Also, I don't even know what to say to anyone who has been able to think of anything today but owning this set. This sure looks like the single greatest home media release ever

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#69 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:35 pm
If you like me have a bunch of Tartan DVDs that literally no one will buy now no matter how cheap you sell them, head over to Decluttr-- I was able to get decent prices for all my Tartans and the MGM Bergmans from the box (do them individually, you'll get more).
Like a couple of bucks each? That's all I'm seeing.

Luke M

#70 Post by Luke M » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:Also, I don't even know what to say to anyone who has been able to think of anything today but owning this set. This sure looks like the single greatest home media release ever
I feel exactly the same. I’ve been poring over reactions here, Twitter, r/Criterion, and blu-ray.com. Probably going to remember July 12, 2018 for awhile.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#71 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:53 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:35 pm
If you like me have a bunch of Tartan DVDs that literally no one will buy now no matter how cheap you sell them, head over to Decluttr-- I was able to get decent prices for all my Tartans and the MGM Bergmans from the box (do them individually, you'll get more).
Like a couple of bucks each? That's all I'm seeing.
All of mine went for between two and five dollars (except the MGM Persona which was like fifty cents). What did you expect? They're no longer worth even two dollars each, so that's a steal. Again, literally no one will ever buy the Tartans or MGM DVDs on eBay or Amazon after this announcement, but the resale offer price will go down to twenty cents on Decluttr in no time

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#72 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:59 pm

I've just never used Decluttr before, so didn't know what to expect. And the MGMs are OOP so they're going for outrageous amounts at the moment (not that they'll sell now).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#73 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 am

Their offer prices vary depending on the title. No offer will ever be more than $6. If they offer you more than three dollars, check eBay First, because that means it's rare enough for them dole out more than a couple bucks (by rare I mean in terms of people selling it to them, not scarcity of the item). It's only useful for getting rid of discs where the limited return on reselling (or as in this case, non-existent chance of reselling) is not worth the hassle of making a listing and paying shipping and eBay fees

Lowry_Sam

#74 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:10 am

I thought the Von Sternberg/Dietrich box would be the release of the year for me (despite being a bit short on extras), but this definitely tops it, regardless of what extras are included. I only hope they don't simply include the old Fanny & Alexander discs, but do a new encode & use at least 2 discs for the TV series. While the AK 100 set was only 25 discs, but retailed for $399 when released (after Criterion's foray into blu-ray), it looks like Criterion learned its lesson & go this out before it ventured into UHD at a price that would still generate sales even after they jump into the UHD market. The only thing that could make this any better is that they're holding back the info that this is in fact will be their first UHD release too.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#75 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 am

I just did the math on previously released Criterion extras. There are a little over 25 hours of them (or 36 if you count commentaries). In addition, there are a few new extras we already know about for this set: Daniel (16 min), Karin's Face (14 min), the making of The Magic Flute (time?), The Serpent's Egg (time?), and The Touch (53 min, assuming it's the same as the one on the BFI), But Film Is My Mistress (66 min), and Laterna Magica (time?). So maybe 4-5 hours there, plus I imagine there'd be a few more hours of new extras produced related to new acquisitions like Shame that will be getting standalone releases down the line. That would put us at a little "more than 30 hours of extras," if we assume that Criterion aren't counting the runtime of commentaries in their tally.

Also, this new set promises 6 commentaries and that's how many there are already, so don't expect any new ones.