Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
zedz

Re: Cinema Guild

#651 Post by zedz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Great! Claire's Camera is a little gem, and I haven't had a chance to see the other one.

Western is also a very impressive film, and will present some real transfer and authoring challenges, as a number of key scenes are unlit night shots where you can only barely make out what's going on (deliberately so). Too bright and you'll lose tension and ambiguity; too dark and it'll just be dirt soup.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#652 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm in the opposite boat—I haven't seen Claire's Camera but did see On the Beach at Night Alone, and was so struck by it I rewatched it the next day. The handling of the female POV felt very different than anything I've seen from Hong and the whole thing is infused with this sort of optimistic melancholy (Happy Together comes to mind, even though nobody will ever mistake Hong for Wong). It's genuinely haunting in multiple senses of the word, with a seemingly supernatural aspect that I don't think Hong has done before.

zedz

#653 Post by zedz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 pm

That's interesting, because I was struck by Claire's Camera being one of the most female-focussed Hong films to date. The one male character is not a focal one, and his main role is to help define / distinguish three women.

knives

#654 Post by knives » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Maybe he's decided that now that his life is one of his movies he should change things somewhat.

zedz

#655 Post by zedz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:38 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:I'm in the opposite boat—I haven't seen Claire's Camera but did see On the Beach at Night Alone, and was so struck by it I rewatched it the next day. The handling of the female POV felt very different than anything I've seen from Hong and the whole thing is infused with this sort of optimistic melancholy (Happy Together comes to mind, even though nobody will ever mistake Hong for Wong). It's genuinely haunting in multiple senses of the word, with a seemingly supernatural aspect that I don't think Hong has done before.
You need to go back to The Power of Kangwon Province to see Hong tackle the supernatural (better than almost anybody else does - if you're not paying close attention you might not even notice that dimension of the film).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#656 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:45 pm

Woman on the Beach shifted gears to a genuinely female point of view somrewhere around its midpoint. Looking forward to eventually seeing Hong's latest. ;-)

bradass

#657 Post by bradass » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:13 am

zedz wrote:
The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:I'm in the opposite boat—I haven't seen Claire's Camera but did see On the Beach at Night Alone, and was so struck by it I rewatched it the next day. The handling of the female POV felt very different than anything I've seen from Hong and the whole thing is infused with this sort of optimistic melancholy (Happy Together comes to mind, even though nobody will ever mistake Hong for Wong). It's genuinely haunting in multiple senses of the word, with a seemingly supernatural aspect that I don't think Hong has done before.
You need to go back to The Power of Kangwon Province to see Hong tackle the supernatural (better than almost anybody else does - if you're not paying close attention you might not even notice that dimension of the film).
I don't think I've ever considered Hong Sang-soo's work as displaying supernatural flourishes (neither of the above-mentioned films), and it's not something I've read anywhere either. Curious what you have in mind regarding The Power of Kangwon Province.

Re: the pleasures of the latest round of films, Hong's films centered around women have arguably been his best (Nobody's Daughter Haewon probably the best example that's been kicking around for a while) but I think Kim Minhee really brought something into the director's production that wasn't there before, particularly this kind of optimistic melancholy that others have mentioned. Having spent so much time with his work, Right Now, Wrong Then took me by surprise for how affecting it was, primarily a consequence of Kim's performance. The same quality is visible in On the Beach at Night Alone and Claire's Camera, and that's also why I found The Day After to be a bit of a letdown as her character in that film is generally marginal to principal dramatic conflict. It's also more difficult to watch without reading some degree of intentionality or autobiographical quality in it, which is certainly the least interesting way into Hong's work. I wonder why Cinema Guild didn't pick it up with the others (perhaps more costly for getting a Cannes comp slot), or why a company like Grasshopper Film doesn't just scoop up the undistributed titles on the cheap to fill out their catalogue, even if they just end up on streaming platforms.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#658 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:21 am

It's been a very long time since I've seen The Power of Kangwon Province and I doubt I'd remember what zedz is alluding to even if it were spelled out, but regarding On the Beach at Night Alone I'm talking about
SpoilerShow
the man in black who carries off Younghee on the beach in Germany and then reappears on the balcony of a hotel room in Korea, without any acknowledgement from the multiple characters who enter and leave during the course of the scene. Hong being Hong there may well be some subtle clues pointing to a "logical" explanation (like, say, a dream sequence, a device Hong has used with some frequency), but I personally couldn't suss out any answer so neat, and I'm not the only one who feels that way—see, for example, Michael Sicinski's take. Supernatural or not I can't think of another figure of this sort of ambiguity in Hong's filmography.

cinemaguild

#659 Post by cinemaguild » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Just to update The Death of Louis XIV discs.

Here is the finalized list of features:

Cuba Libre (2013, 18 mins) a film by Albert Serra
Film Society of Lincoln Center presents Jean-Pierre Léaud & Albert Serra Q&A at NYFF54
Theatrical Trailer
Booklet featuring essay by Jordan Cronk

Aunt Peg

#660 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:59 am

Got my copy of The Death of Louis XIV. Couldn't be happier.

jtdjtd2012

#661 Post by jtdjtd2012 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:04 am

cinemaguild wrote:Confirmed bonus features for IN THE CITY OF SYLVIA --

- Some Photos in the City of Sylvia (2007, 65 minutes)
- In the City of Lotte (7 minutes)
- Vignettes:
Women Waiting for the Tram
Woman Waiting for the Tram
Train Strasbourg-Paris
- Teaser Trailer
- Essay by film critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

The film will be in its original aspect ratio of 1.66:1 with a French Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.

Please add it to your Netflix queue, even if you've already seen the film or intend to purchase. Thanks!
Hello. A question has come to me. In all websites mentioned that In the City of Sylvia's runtime is 84 min. While all versions are (1:21:46) min. I wanted to know Cinemaguild's version is really 84 min? And if no i'll be thankful to know why? Thanks again.

zedz

#662 Post by zedz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 pm

That just sounds like a PAL speed up issue to me. Cinema Guild’s disc would be NTSC and run the same speed as the theatrical release.

What A Disgrace

#663 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:28 am

Question on Facebook: Will your latest Hong Sangsoo films get Blu-ray releases?

Answer: Yes

so there you have it.

cinemaguild

#664 Post by cinemaguild » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:50 pm

We just announced the Blu-ray and DVD of On The Beach at Night Alone.

It will be out May 22

The Blu-ray will feature a reversible cover with our Alt-poster.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#665 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Nice covers!

furbicide

#666 Post by furbicide » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Yeah, those are great! Haven't bought anything from CG before; this might be my first, I reckon.

Aunt Peg

#667 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:14 am

Western is now up for pre-order on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Blu-ray- ... 2650369011

cinemaguild

#668 Post by cinemaguild » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:12 am

Western is available on Blu-ray and DVD today. Comes with a great essay by Dennis Lim.

We will also be announcing our fall slate of Blu-ray releases very soon!

What A Disgrace

#669 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 am

I like how the Fall line up is plural. Greatly looking forward to it.

zedz

#670 Post by zedz » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:18 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:21 am
It's been a very long time since I've seen The Power of Kangwon Province and I doubt I'd remember what zedz is alluding to even if it were spelled out
Just realized I never replied to this: it's the mystery of the leaping fish.

senseabove

#671 Post by senseabove » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:51 pm

cinemaguild wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:12 am
Western is available on Blu-ray and DVD today. Comes with a great essay by Dennis Lim.

We will also be announcing our fall slate of Blu-ray releases very soon!
Crossing my fingers that the excellent Hale County This Morning, This Evening gets a Blu-ray release!

colinr0380

#672 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:19 am

That is great news. New Wave Films have just released Western in the UK, but only on DVD.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#673 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Not much of a surprise here, but Cinema Guild has picked up Hong Sangsoo's 2018 films Grass and Hotel by the River.

FrauBlucher

#674 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:50 am

What A Disgrace

#675 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Scarred Hearts (via Big World, DVD), En El Septimo Dia (DVD and Blu-ray), The Day After (DVD and Blu-ray) and a new special edition of Marwencol (ditto) are all forthcoming.