936 Bull Durham

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 936 Bull Durham

#51 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:45 am

"they use programs to extract the screencaptures and they alter color values."
With Svet's usual stiff English, this sentence is almost rendered non sensical. What does Svet use if it isnt a "program to extract screencaptures" to get his ? A swiss knife ?
What Svet should have done except his usual old bitter man routine is to match a few Beaver caps and prove by A+B they're indeed difference and showing by how much. But he's so prompt to jump at any naysayer's throat he again forgot to be technically thorough, instead given naysayers more food for thought. No wonder he's been seemingly "forbidden" to participate in blu-ray.com's board.

But yeah, Bates Motel is spot on in calling Svet's biased argument and sadly, this usually isnt well received there...

EDIT : this being written, this case only highlights the different sets of mind between Gary, who quickly tried different setups to try and see what's what, and Svet, who promptly defended his work by telling everybody else was wrong and he was right and that was it. That says a lot about how "consumer-oriented" each are.

jsteffe

#52 Post by jsteffe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:34 am

Someone needs to slap the hands of colorists and cinematographers every time they reach for the teal effect on their control panel.

MichaelB

#53 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:51 am

tenia wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:45 am
EDIT : this being written, this case only highlights the different sets of mind between Gary, who quickly tried different setups to try and see what's what, and Svet, who promptly defended his work by telling everybody else was wrong and he was right and that was it. That says a lot about how "consumer-oriented" each are.
Yes, that absolutely nails them. In my experience, Gary is extremely quick to correct factual errors, whereas Svet would rather leave them up there than ever admit to being wrong, despite the obvious downside that his reviews therefore cannot be trusted.

The odd thing, though, is that Svet used to correct his reviews - five years or so ago, I remember persuading him to change a provably erroneous claim that "the majority" of the extras on Arrow's The Long Goodbye were ported over from the MGM disc, and I don't recall it being a particularly unpleasant experience. So what's happened since that has created this bizarre impression that he's right all the time and that reality must bend to the power of his will?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#54 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:56 am

I remember also pointing out to Svet he made a mistake on the main language on Criterion's Insomnia, and he thanked me and quickly updated the language. I stll don't know what happened nor why he's so bent on so ostensibly supporting Criterion (I mean, it's not like he's going to have a visible impact on sales or reputation). I don't know. But it can be damaging to how reviewers are perceived though, and that's mostly why his behavior frustrates me. It sends a very negative message towards how reviewers can be, and being now for some years a reviewer myself, the situations he created sometimes ended up reflecting on my work and I had to explain to people how things were actually going on.

MichaelB

#55 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:10 am

As someone who's had dealings with innumerable professional reviewers for nearly thirty years and been one himself for over fifteen, I'm delighted to say that Svet is very much in the minority, and I certainly don't regard him as in any way representative.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#56 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:14 am

I'm quite sure of it myself, but he's made quite an impression on many people I've discussed with and coupled with all the very superficial reviews one can find online (especially in France), it lead some people believing many reviewers weren't being thorough or fair or even knowledgeable but were just people in an ivory tower writing asinine-enough stuff to ensure they keep enjoying freebies.

On some places, it's up to a point where I sometimes feel people just got sudden amnesia and forgot altogether how is performed and what is the point of a technical-minded review. And you probably even can imagine the type of replies I can get once I write that I'm not even from this field of work to begin with ! Some people got to learn my view on things and understood I'm extremely open to being corrected rather than remaining in the wrong, but sadly, some (including some labels) didn't, and it led to lenghty acid pointless discussions à la Svet which ended up being disheartening for me, because I really care about trying to be precise and accurate. So when you get rebuked superficially through sophisms, it becomes very discourageing, especially when it all started on a simple remark about this or that observation.

Lost Highway

#57 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:07 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:51 am
The odd thing, though, is that Svet used to correct his reviews - five years or so ago, I remember persuading him to change a provably erroneous claim that "the majority" of the extras on Arrow's The Long Goodbye were ported over from the MGM disc, and I don't recall it being a particularly unpleasant experience. So what's happened since that has created this bizarre impression that he's right all the time and that reality must bend to the power of his will?
Considering the politics he peppers his reviews with these days, I wouldn't be surprised if he's going by the Trump Playbook, creating his own, alternate reality.

ballmouse

#58 Post by ballmouse » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:15 pm

For what it's worth, the Bull Durham Criterion page has a screen capture of nearly the same screen captured in DVDBeaver. The colors from the Criterion page are (nearly) identical to the colors in DVDBeaver's Criterion screen capture. See below:

20th Century Fox - Region 'A (screenshot from DVDBeaver)

Criterion - Region 'A' - Blu-ray (screenshot from DVDBeaver)

Criterion (screenshot from Criterion.com)

movielocke

#59 Post by movielocke » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:45 pm

jsteffe wrote:Someone needs to slap the hands of colorists and cinematographers every time they reach for the teal effect on their control panel.
I shit you not, in last years update of avid media composer they included a bunch of color correction presets for the first time and two of them are and I quote “Orange and Teal 1” and Orange and Teal strong”.

Not that it matters for film, all color correction is done in resolve these days, not Avid media composer symphony, but I laughed when I saw it.

jazzo

#60 Post by jazzo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 pm

I just picked this up and, while I am very excited to revisit this gem of film, this particular edition officially houses what I would consider, in my humblest of opinions, the worst cover design to ever grace a Criterion disc.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#61 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm

jazzo wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 pm
this particular edition officially houses what I would consider, in my humblest of opinions, the worst cover design to ever grace a Criterion disc.

WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST FUCKING SAY ABOUT ME

jazzo

#62 Post by jazzo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:55 pm

I stand corrected.

Luke M

#63 Post by Luke M » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:00 pm

The Fishing with John cover is sort of charming in its own way.

kcota17

#64 Post by kcota17 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 pm

The original Tree of Life cover and Cries and Whispers say hello