It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 pm 

July 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:17 pm 

This looks terrific...
Quote:
PLUS: A book featuring essays by critics Imogen Sara Smith, Gary Giddins, and Farran Smith Nehme

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:21 pm 

Smart work around the Blue Angel issue as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:23 pm 

Holy s***, this is amazing. I wasn't sure if some of these titles would ever get released.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 pm 

FrauBlucher wrote:
This looks terrific...
Quote:
PLUS: A book featuring essays by critics Imogen Sara Smith, Gary Giddins, and Farran Smith Nehme

Much like Arrow, don't get too excited by promises of a "book" - especially considering only three writers are listed. It's probably just three essays in a 60-page perfect-bound book, not a whole big thing. Better than a pamphlet, though!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 pm 

Most excellent news - a boxset to be cherished for the rest of my life. Now, please upgrade your DVD set with the Paramount silents, Criterion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:40 pm 

Christmas in July - been hoping they'd put something like this together for awhile, have made sporadic suggestions. All praise the benevolent Mulvaney, who clearly listens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:43 pm 

hearthesilence wrote:
Holy s***, this is amazing. I wasn't sure if some of these titles would ever get released.

Most have been scattered on DVD, some in decent transfers - but this is the first time they've all been put together in the context they deserve.

Hoping for the same with the Mann/Stewart cooperations someday, but Criterion has a lot of months left to fill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:59 pm 

I haven't been this excited by a Criterion release in a while. I adore Sternberg and Dietrich's collaborations.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:11 pm 

I'm stunned and speechless. This is a amazing release.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:15 pm 

Holly shit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:21 pm 

This has been a pretty open secret now for several months. At one point even Schell’s fascinating movie Marlene was touted as included and I had also suggested to Neil McGlone including the audio only (with stills) of Dietrich singing If I isn’t pain it isn’t love which was cut from Devil.

But no matter. My only “regret” is that Criterion is not yet at the 4K/HDR disc stage of evolution. These are films that were born in the dusk of nitrate and which have been literally reincarnated in the digital age with consumate skill. As far as I know only Shanghai Express was done at 4k but on exisiting backchannel sources Venus and Empress 2Ks are completely sublime.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm 

I have been waiting for this for about 20 years. Thank you, Criterion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 pm 

Yeah, I think this was on the rumored forthcoming list at the first Criteron Forum back when I joined in.... 2003?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:19 pm 

I notice that the set does not seem to include two supplements from The Scarlet Empress DVD release — Documentary: "The World of Josef von Sternberg," including interview with Kevin Brownlow (30 min.), and Von Sternberg tribute by underground filmmaker Jack Smith. I understand the documentary is quite good and a unique glimpse into Sternberg’s lighting methods. It sounds like quite a loss. Anyone have thoughts on these?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:22 pm 

Shanghai Express was rumored to be joining collection at least since October 2001...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:36 am 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure it had been rumored since Scarlet Empress was released, so 2001 sounds about right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:27 am 

Finally! What a set.

Blonde Venus and the Golden Afro - not my favorite of the Von Deitberg collabs, but a weird and glitzy film. Worth it for the hairstyles alone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:42 am 

I remember Shanghai Express being rumored around 2001-ish because I put off watching it for a few months thinking a dvd was imminent.

As I recall during an HTF chat with criterion around 2002-2003 era they said there were no suitable materials for Shanghai Express on dvd, at least not comparable to the standard they’d released Scarlett empress in, so it had more or less been indefinitely postponed/shelved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:27 am 

The apparent absence of Jack Smith from the extras is concerning. I hope the overall impression of sober heteronormative academic analysis isn’t actually the whole story. Couldn’t they rope in John Waters, Charles Busch and Lypsinka for balance? Sheesh. The films are delirious, and the extras should ideally reflect this at some point. It’s not John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Tom Hanks fans who’ve lit candles and kept shrines to these films for lo these 80 years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 am 

Any word as to the restorations? I'm hoping they've found the missing dialogue from SHANGHAI EXPRESS.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:36 am 

david hare's post above has some information on that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:45 pm 

Happy for this release and the price is perfect!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:29 pm 

I can't verify the 4K of Shanghai Express has the missing dialogue reinstated but one assumes it will.

If it isn't this is it:

CHANG. Explain to him if he does not tell the truth I'll have him shot.
LILY to LENARD (in French): He says if you don't tell the truth he will have you shot.
LENARD (In French) when I was in the army I committed a minor offence and I was discharged.
LILY: He has been discharged for a minor offence.
CHANG. THen why does he wear that uniform?
LILY. Why do you wear that uniform then?
LENARD. I'm going to see my sister and I dont wamt her to know I've been discharged. It would cause too much shame and sorrow.
LILY. HE is going to visit his sister and he doesn't want her to know about his disgrace.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 pm 

david hare wrote:
I can't verify the 4K of Shanghai Express has the missing dialogue reinstated but one assumes it will.

If it isn't this is it:

CHANG. Explain to him if he does not tell the truth I'll have him shot.
LILY to LENARD (in French): He says if you don't tell the truth he will have you shot.
LENARD (In French) when I was in the army I committed a minor offence and I was discharged.
LILY: He has been discharged for a minor offence.
CHANG. THen why does he wear that uniform?
LILY. Why do you wear that uniform then?
LENARD. I'm going to see my sister and I dont wamt her to know I've been discharged. It would cause too much shame and sorrow.
LILY. HE is going to visit his sister and he doesn't want her to know about his disgrace.

I don't know the history of the cut or the vintage of the 35mm print I saw—though IIRC it looked fairly pristine—but when I saw it a few weeks ago it had this dialogue in it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next