937 Dragon Inn

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
swo17

937 Dragon Inn

#1 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Dragon Inn

Image Image

The art of martial-arts filmmaking took a leap into bold new territory with this action-packed tale of Ming-dynasty intrigue. After having the emperor's minister of defense executed, a power-grabbing eunuch sends assassins to trail the victim's children to a remote point on the northern Chinese border. But that bloodthirsty mission is confounded by a mysterious group of fighters who arrive on the scene, intent on delivering justice and defending the innocent. The first film King Hu made after moving to Taiwan from Hong Kong in search of more creative freedom, Dragon Inn combines rhythmic editing, meticulous choreography, and gorgeous widescreen compositions with a refinement that was new to the wuxia genre. Its blockbuster success breathed new life into a classic formula and established Hu as one of Chinese cinema's most audacious innovators.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by cinematographer Hua Hui-ying, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New interview with actor Shangkuan Ling-fung
• Interview from 2016 with actor Shih Chun
• Scene analysis by author and New York Asian Film Festival cofounder Grady Hendrix
• Newsreel footage of the film's 1967 premiere in Taipei, Taiwan
• Trailer
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: An essay by critic Andrew Chan

Big Ben

Re: 937 Dragon Inn

#2 Post by Big Ben » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:32 pm

My only connection with this film is really seeing bits and pieces of it it in Tsai Ming Liang's Goodbye, Dragon Inn which I adored. I imagine this is similar to A Touch of Zen but significantly more manageable in terms of running time? It sounds like a siege film from what I'm reading but I'm unsure how accurate that really is.

knives

#3 Post by knives » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:36 pm

It's a lot less plainly philosophical working as a much more traditional action film. It still has a lot of the brains (and politics) that makes Hu's films special, but aside from Come Drink with Me it is probably the most mainstream film of his I've seen.

Werewolf by Night

#4 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:02 pm

I’m a little sad that this was not delayed in order to be paired with Goodbye Dragon Inn. That film desperately needs rescue.

whaleallright

#5 Post by whaleallright » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:28 am

Among other things this movie has one of the best endings ever.

dda1996a

#6 Post by dda1996a » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:28 am

It's not as amazing as Touch of Zen but it is possibly the most fun wuxia film I've seen after Zen. I'm still rather happy with my MoC Hu triple pack

movielocke

#7 Post by movielocke » Wed May 30, 2018 1:53 am

I watched this over. The weekend since it’s leaving FilmStruck on June 1. Although I watched touch of zen twice, I just wasn’t able to like it all that much, so I was surprised at how different dragon inn is, it is immediately propulsive and extremely well paced throughout, although we don’t know the characters as well in this film, i found myself more engaged by them. And yes the final death before the “the end” title card is amazing.